PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Neck Dies

sparky508
04-14-2015, 04:47 PM
[smilie=b: Anybody have a problem with bad concentricity from RCBS neck dies? I ran some brass through both 308 and 300 WIN dies last night (Respectively of course), and the necks were terrible, somewhere around .006” (without the expander ball.) Checked ‘em before I sized and they were less than .001. Even with the expander balls set up in my full length dies I can keep ‘em to less than .003”. Should I contact RCBS or just hang these useless pigs off of next year’s Christmas tree??!! I know that there’s some merit to full length sizing, but I wanted to give this a dance, needless to say I am less than impressed. I would have expected more than this from these dies.

xvigauge
04-14-2015, 05:13 PM
I have had no problems with the RCBS neck sizing dies I have. I mostly have Redding neck sizing dies, however. Maybe you should contact RCBS and get their take on it.
xvigauge

MT Chambers
04-15-2015, 12:19 AM
What press are you using? It's possible that it is out of alignment.

1johnlb
04-15-2015, 12:56 AM
My lee has a lot of play in the ram from my sons 7mm mag cases and if I'm not careful while necksizing the same thing happens. The ram cocks to the side causing the neck to cock, because there's nothing holding the case body straight. It's time to upgrade at least for me.

sparky508
04-15-2015, 10:24 AM
What press are you using? It's possible that it is out of alignment.

Using a summit, and I have been thinking this morning that I may have an alignment problem, because when I make 45acp shot shells, the "shoulder" comes out offset, but using the same dies and procedures in another press they do not, or at least notably.

never thought twice about it until now. Has me wondering if it's the press. Two dies two calibers, starting to look bad for the press don't you think?

troyboy
04-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Try with another press to verify results.

sparky508
04-15-2015, 05:26 PM
That's what I'm going to do tonight, toss the dies and shell holders in another press, see what I come up with.

1hole
04-15-2015, 11:44 PM
With same cases and same dies, you're likely to get the same results no matter what press you use. I won't say never about anything but it's virtually impossible for a press (or shell holder) to induce case neck runout.

IF you really want to neck size, get a Lee collet neck sizer and learn to use it correctly, it will make your necks as straight as your cases will allow.

sparky508
04-16-2015, 10:50 AM
So results with other press were worse then with the summit.
I guess this is why the BR crowd gave up neck sizing a while ago, back to FL sizing for me too.

r1kk1
04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
What was the other press you tried Sparky? I would get a RCBS tech on the phone. Just a thought did you try a different shell holder? I have a Redding set as well as other makes that allow me to do certain tasks. I have body dies, shoulder bump dies but most of my neck dies are bushing dies. Both Redding and CH4D make neck bushing dies and the bushings interchange with Wilson.

I follow this thread with great interest. Personally I would love to see what is the culprit and if it's the die, something failed in the die or the die body or threads are to blame.

take care

r1kk1