PDA

View Full Version : Choices for Single Stage press!

Gliden07
04-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Ok guys haven't had to ask a question like this in a while. I am getting the stuff ready to reload precision rifle rounds, I need to pick up a good Single Stage press. Been doing research and decided to try and keep it under $200 so here are the choices Redding Big Boss (right at limit of budget), RCBS Rockchucker (middle of Budget) and the Lee Classic Cast (lower end of the Budget). I like some of the features on all the presses but am only going to buy one! Opinions needed, reasons too! Not just I have one that's why!! Thanks!!

Bzcraig
04-13-2015, 12:13 AM
The Lee is a great value and leaves money left over for accessories

dsbock
04-13-2015, 12:23 AM
The Lee is a great value and leaves money left over for accessories

This is my answer too.

firebrick43
04-13-2015, 12:37 AM
I third. Primer handling is awesome. The safety prime is wonderfull once adjusted.

RogerDat
04-13-2015, 12:59 AM
The Lee dumping primers through the ram is a nice feature. Don't know about the others but LCC bushing can be unscrewed and replaced with Hornady quick change bushing sleeve if you wanted to go that route.

triggerhappy243
04-13-2015, 01:04 AM
In a single stage press, all i own or have ever owned.... Was rcbs. Why? Ask about their warranty. The color is easy on the eyes. Red looks angry.

jmort
04-13-2015, 01:39 AM
+ 3 Lee Precision Classic Cast

Lead Fred
04-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Here are my 3 rules on buying presses

1) it must be green (RCBS)
2) it must be made before 1976
3) wont pay over $50 for it.

The pre 76 RCBS presses are better made than any one since. Ive got two, and wont ever need a third

andyt53
04-13-2015, 06:16 AM
Here's another vote for the Lee Classic Cast!

Gliden07
04-13-2015, 07:04 AM
This is why I started to look at other presses!! I tried to find a decent used SS press for decent money and have had no luck!! Or people just wanted to much for them.

The pre 76 RCBS presses are better made than any one since. Ive got two, and wont ever need a third

mold maker
04-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Yep,,,,, LEE Classic Cast. It will do the same job of quality loads, for half the investment.

opos
04-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Classic Cast for me as well...I like the large ram, the spent primer handling and the safety prime attachment that fits on the press...I don't trust the tube primer feeds ... not often a problem but when they do have issues it's usually a big one. The Classic Cast works for every cartridge I load and I like the breech lock adapters..a little pricy but handy as a pocket in a shirt.

HeavyMetal
04-13-2015, 09:57 AM
The Lee classic cast is indeed a great press, one sits on my bench right now.

However if I was going to reload rifle cartridges for a super accurate rifle my vote would go to a press you haven't mention:

Bonanza Co-Ax.

it to drops dead primers thruogh the ram into a collection pod, plus the dies float will sizing. I had one of these years ago and sold it when thinning out the herd of press's I had picked up over the years.

Check around for one before you spend your money and have a look at one.

Bottom line buy the Lee if you can't find one but the Co-Ax is better for what you want to do.

390ish
04-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Wait it out and buy a Forster. Money well spent.

EMC45
04-13-2015, 10:36 AM
I would say Lee Classic Cast. I have one and use it for pistol. I have a couple RCBS presses and use my RC Supreme for rifle ammo. The Lee would handle all duties without any other press on my bench. It is a very well made press and well thought out. I like the fact you can "choke up" the handle to load pistol or rifle rounds. I keep the handle short for pistol on mine currently. The one rub I have is that the primers sometimes fall out of the primer arm hole when de-priming on the press. I fixed that by bending a sheet of brass (old 45-70 case) into a rectangular "box" and insert into the slot on the ram and it is perfect. Not certain if Lee makes a device for this, but I know I did. I have a piece of clear hut tub tubing with a .45 ACP case jammed into the end for my spent primer disposal. I just snap it on and off the "nipple" on the ram for emptying. Works perfect. The RCBS otoh has a problem with spewing primers anywhere it feels like. Most of them end up in the tray, but some do not.

Old Scribe
04-13-2015, 11:13 AM
The Lee is a great press and they have good customer service. I keep mine set up for sizing.

tradbear55
04-13-2015, 11:18 AM
I prefer my rcbs rock chucker over a few others that I have used. The end product is still the same no matter what you buy. Enjoy.

duckey
04-13-2015, 11:24 AM
I have the Lee classic....the $75 one as there are other Lee's, this was the less expensive one. I bought it as it was less $ than others I looked at. I bought it to reload .375 H&H as it had enough to height to easily accommodate the case and bullet while seating. Great press and had had no issues so far.

mdi
04-13-2015, 12:02 PM
I agree a Co-Ax would prolly be better, but that's outta yer budget (mine too!). So, look at what a press is; just a rod (ram) moving up into a die situated in the frame of the press. As long as the frame doesn't flex and the die/ram are machined in line, it'll produce accurate ammo. If there is enough leverage the task will be easy and less tiresome. Most presses today will meet these requirements quite well so your next choice will be fit and finish. Is one press more "attractive" to you (don't laugh, a big deal), is one sleeker looking or an attractive color? Does one spit out used primers more to your liking than another? (don't bother me either way, as I've reloaded with a 5 gal. pail on the floor to catch wayward primers). Personally, I think a warranty is just a company's way to CYA. The three presses you mentioned will all produce good, safe, accurate ammo if you do your part.

I kinda like green myself...

Mike67
04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
The Lee Classic Cast, I like the priming system and the opening in the frame is plenty tall. I have 2 rockchuckers but the Lee is mounted on the bench.

RogerDat
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM
One thing that an earlier post commented on. People often base their recommended press on the one they have had good service from "for 20 years" or similar long period of time. Which is sensible but ignores any changes to materials, workmanship or feature enhancements if buying that "same" press new today. Also may somewhat ignore current market prices. Presses that were competitively priced and manufactured in the USA 25 years ago may now be premium brand priced and made in China.

You will pay more for the best possible construction and materials since these both have an increased cost to the manufacturer. You may pay more for something that has an indefinite lifetime warranty. Honoring that warranty has a cost to the manufacturer. However these things also tend to prop up resale price of used models. I would go with the Lee Classic Cast (not quick change) as a new press but if time permits would also consider a comprehensive search for one of the classics from decades pasts at a good price. You may have to search for awhile, and get a little lucky but if you have the time for the hunt that classic found at a good price can be a rewarding purchase.

dudel
04-13-2015, 12:14 PM
I've never regretted the RockChucker. Has served well for almost 30 years. It will easily outlast me. There were and still are less and more expensive presses out there. The fit/finish are great, and the warranty is second to none.

andre3k
04-13-2015, 01:11 PM
I would say the co-ax simply because you don't need shell holders and it's drops spent primers into a separate container which keeps the press pretty clean. I also own a rock chucker and it's a good press. The co-ax is double the price but you won't remember won't you spent 5 years from now when you still own the press. Consider your reloading gear a lifetime investment from the start and the price differences won't hurt as much. Im a proponent of the buy once cry once theory. At least that's what I always tell myself.

jmort
04-13-2015, 01:27 PM
The O/P gave his price range, why are members wasting space? The Co-Ax is regarded to be as good as it gets in a single stage, but it is twice what his budget is. Why stop at the Co-Ax? You can get a CH4D Rock Chucker for $1,500. I think it makes sense, based on the stated budget, to get any of the three listed, you will not regret any of them. I would go with the Rock Chucker or the Classic Cast, but the Redding is a beast. There are no bad choices among those three.

Bayou52
04-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Single Stage Press = RCBS Rock Chucker

country gent
04-13-2015, 01:55 PM
In the OPs price range I would recomend the RCBS Rock chucker as the history of the company its reputatytation and the numbers made speak volumnes abot this unit. A used one might be found at gun shows or internet but they are grabbed up pretty quick. Another good well desighned single stage to look at is the lyman Oarnge crusher. Good materials heavy solid frame and lots of leverage for heavy work. Check some different sites and see whats available used and dont hesitate as most presses arnt close to worn out after 20-30 years service. A used co ax might fall into OPs budget even. Another thought is for very accurate ammo a Ahrbor press and wilson straight line dies are very good combination also.

ukrifleman
04-13-2015, 02:44 PM
+ 3 Lee Precision Classic Cast

+4
ukrifleman.

sundog
04-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Early 70s I bought a lightly used RCBS Jr (along with a Lyman Loobsizer) off a FT Carson soldier who was deploying. Used it for years until I picked up a lightly used Rock Chucker at a garage sale (I think they were divorcing and HERSELF was selling HIS 'stuff'). Anyway, the RC has been mounted on the bench permanently and the Jr is in a range reloading box, well used but in very good condition. Rock Chucker is a good press.

PULSARNC
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
I have2 rock chuckers and a partner Jr all 20 plus years old never a problem with them I vote RCBS

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
I owned a USA made RCBS Rock Chucker. Bought the Lee Classic Cast single stage. Within 3 months or less, the Lee had pushed the RCBS single stage off my bench into the for sale pile. Being that I really liked that RCBS and own an RCBS Pro 2000 auto advance now, that tells you a lot.

Best Regards,

Dave

troyboy
04-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Tried plenty of other presses bases on the whimsical musings of nostalgia. The Lee CC would be my choice again.

dragon813gt
04-13-2015, 05:50 PM
I own a Rockchucker and Lee Classic Cast along w/ a bunch of others. Of those two I prefer the Lee. Has plenty of power and the hollow ram seals the deal. Plenty of people use the Lee for swaging bullets so if you're just reloading you won't break it.

r1kk1
04-13-2015, 08:56 PM
I own four different designed single stages, of the four one would fit in your price range. It is by far the most versatile single stage I have ever came across or used.

- largest single stage ram in production
- can utilize LNL press conversion bushing
- only press I know of to have an arbor bushing conversion kit for Wilson dies
- excellent primer collection
- lifetime warranty
- ambidextrous press
- no bench overhang
- warranty second to none in the industry
- optional short handle kit - owners manual give instructions when utilizing the short handle kit and bullet seating, how to adjust it to increase the amount of "feel" or feedback to the operator
- compact design yet does heavy case forming chores without a hiccup

There is a podcast on the Personal Armament where they interviewed Redding. I was thoroughly impressed with the workmanship and even though the press I bought is the largest single stage they make, is out of your budget range. I also like the COAX as pointed out earlier in posts, but it too is priced over your 200.00 range. Out of the four single stages I own, only one has a cast steel frame, the rest are cast iron. Unfortunately there is nothing new or innovative in presses. Just reinventions of older stuff. The latest press, the Summit, resembles the Wamadet. Too bad the Summit doesn't have the capabilities to use lube/size dies like the Wamadet.

take care,

r1kk1

jmort
04-13-2015, 08:59 PM
That would be a good choice. I like the flush design of the Summit.

MT Chambers
04-14-2015, 12:01 AM
My choice is easy for me, the Forster Co-ax, if you require more leverage for forming cases the Redding Ultra-mag, if you can't afford either go with the Rockchucker.

triggerhappy243
04-14-2015, 12:19 AM
China makes reloading presses??????????????????????????????

dragon813gt
04-14-2015, 05:35 AM
China makes reloading presses??????????????????????????????
Yes, SmartReloader comes to mind immediately. RCBS and Lyman have products made there but I don't recall if presses are.

juzme
04-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Another vote for Lee CC. It pushed a Rock Chucker off my bench due to overall satisfaction with the respective presses and Lee's guarantee is as good as any, for whatever anybody's is worth now days. You'll get top quality work with Lee from a lifetime press and you'll have money left to go toward more equipment!

And about China's stuff:
Yes, SmartReloader comes to mind immediately. RCBS and Lyman have products made there but I don't recall if presses are.

A kid living near me bought one of those SmartReloader presses from China. On first sight I thought it was a black Lee. Looked the same from the next room. The kid says it's junk cause the ram is misalined.

mdr8088
04-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Don't buy Smart Reloader, every youtube vid I've seen they're broken. lol They copied Lee anyway on the one press. I'd go with Lee, but what about a classic turret. I got mine for about a $100.00 off amazon with free shipping. You can use it as a single stage or if you want to crank out some range ammo quickly for pistol or AR. The classic kit is like $220.00, a little over your budget but would get you a lot of goodies. Just an idea.

Geraldo
04-14-2015, 07:59 AM
First, good luck on only one press.

Second, I started on a RockChucker. Currently I have a Summit, Co-Ax, Redding T-7, and a couple of Dillon progressives. If I had to cut down to one and only one, heartbreaking as it might be, I would pick the Co-Ax. It operates smoothly, no shellholders, and quick die changes. Put an LED light strip in it and it's perfect. Pricey, yes, but you really won't be sorry if you buy one.

ioon44
04-14-2015, 09:14 AM
I vote RCBS Rock Chucker, RCBS's great customer service is on thing to consider.

mold maker
04-14-2015, 11:24 AM
Wonder where all the LEE bashers went? Sounds as if they are changing their minds, or have moved on to another audience.
Either way, good riddance. Common sense seems to prevail.

largom
04-14-2015, 12:00 PM
I will also vote for the Lee Classic Cast press. If you want to load precision rifle rounds use the money saved on the press and buy Redding Competition dies.

Larry

triggerhappy243
04-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Mold maker, it sounds like you may want to provoke another argument. Not good form. You may like lee as top pick. Others like myself prefer rcbs. I have been using rcbs for 40 years, never broke or worn out a press or broke any dies, powder dumpers or other tools. But i have read here on numerous posts of lee press parts failiing. "press parts"! I tried lee stuff before. The quality is not there.... Sorry but it is not.

mdi
04-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Wonder where all the LEE bashers went? Sounds as if they are changing their minds, or have moved on to another audience.

I was shying away from that, but thanks maker...;-)

dragon813gt
04-14-2015, 12:39 PM

This post is just as bad as one of theirs. No need to bait them w/ a post like this.

mdi
04-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Mold maker, it sounds like you may want to provoke another argument. Not good form. You may like lee as top pick. Others like myself prefer rcbs. I have been using rcbs for 40 years, never broke or worn out a press or broke any dies, powder dumpers or other tools. But i have read here on numerous posts of lee press parts failiing. "press parts"! I tried lee stuff before. The quality is not there.... Sorry but it is not.

It was good to avoid the unnecessary criticism of an inanimate object for a while.

Reminds me of my Pa (the cheapest/tightest man to walk the earth). He drove his '42 Chevy for over 35 years and it got him where he wanted to go but it rattled and made so much noise it was difficult to talk, but the motor ran good. The fenders had been re-welded so many times it was hard to tell where the original seams were. One time he had to get his license renewed and he needed a driving test. The DMV test person refused to get in the car, it was not very clean (greasy old sheets/blankets for seat covers 'cause he used his car as a parts chaser) and after a 10 minute argument, the DMV signed him off.

So, a product's time used has little to do with what one should buy now...

walltube
04-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Rock Chucker. Forster-Bonanza Co-ax.
Both have time proven performance with well documented, satisfied customer service. Both manufactured in USA. There should be a multitude of the two out there for sale at reasonable prices.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it...[smilie=f:

Good luck,
Wt.

r1kk1
04-14-2015, 07:46 PM
First, good luck on only one press.

Second, I started on a RockChucker. Currently I have a Summit, Co-Ax, Redding T-7, and a couple of Dillon progressives. If I had to cut down to one and only one, heartbreaking as it might be, I would pick the Co-Ax. It operates smoothly, no shellholders, and quick die changes. Put an LED light strip in it and it's perfect. Pricey, yes, but you really won't be sorry if you buy one.

I couldn't choose between my four single stages. The CO-AX has the most consistent priming system on a press I have ever seen. It is also the only natural ambidextrous press I know of. I can't remember how many competitive government agencies and private shooting teams use the press. I love the twin guide rods, exceptionally primer and debris collection system and of course the original quick change die press.

However it's 100 dollars more than your budget allows.

take care

r1kk1

gloob
04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
This one is easy. For making quality ammo, among the three presses you have chosen, it does not matter. For durability, it does not matter.

For decapping system, Lee. The regular Classic Cast, the primer goes out a hole on the bottom of the ram, where you can collect primers in a tube. In the Breechlock variant, the primers fall of a hole in the left side of the ram and drop into a funnel, where you can collect them in a tube. Both systems work great. With the Rock Chucker, you are messing with a little box that may work great, but it fills quick. The box and other "Jimmy V" solutions also sit next to the ram and limit the way in which you can insert and remove the cases. Most of my uses, I am orienting the shellholder in one of two positions. Pointed straight away from me, or pointed to the right. With the Rock Chucker, you cannot insert cases with the shellholder facing away from you, because the primer collection system is in the way.

For priming system, I am not familiar with the Big Boss automatic priming system. But between RCBS and LEE, it's easy. Lee. The primer arm on the Classic can be oriented on either the left or the right side. The Breechlock version, the priming arm is oriented on the right side. This part is personal preference. But in my opinion, this is the ideal location for priming if you are using loose primers (not a pre-filled primer tube). You can put a tray of primers there, by the priming arm, and put the primers in with your right hand while you put the next case in. The RCBS system puts the priming arm front and center. There's poor access with the right hand. And even using the left hand, you can't put a tray of primers next to the priming arm, because that part of the press is hanging in space, several inches in front of your bench. This is adding wasteful redundant motion and time, making you move your hand away from where your primers and loading block/cases are.

Other: Adjustability of lever length. Lee.

Gliden07
04-14-2015, 11:11 PM
WOW!! Lots of Great suggestions!! This is not my first press I have a Lee Pro 1000 that I reload only 45ACP on (Given to me, and my first dive into reloading!) also have a Hornady LNL Progressive press that I reload 9MM on. I am looking for a press to do accurate 308 rounds for long distance shooting. If the Budget allowed I would get the Coax press. But with that $100 extra dollars I was going to get either the Redding Comp Dies or the Forster Dies. I have most of the other things I need to start loading the rifle rounds.

r1kk1
04-14-2015, 11:27 PM
WOW!! Lots of Great suggestions!! This is not my first press I have a Lee Pro 1000 that I reload only 45ACP on (Given to me, and my first dive into reloading!) also have a Hornady LNL Progressive press that I reload 9MM on. I am looking for a press to do accurate 308 rounds for long distance shooting. If the Budget allowed I would get the Coax press. But with that $100 extra dollars I was going to get either the Redding Comp Dies or the Forster Dies. I have most of the other things I need to start loading the rifle rounds.

Either die set will serve you well. If you use Forster, send the neck or full length sizing die in with three pieces of fired brass and they will hone the die to the size you want. I like .002" under bullet diameter using jacketed bullets. You might want a little more than this depending on your rifle action, if it's magazine fed, etc., etc. Both Redding and Forster have bushing dies but if I went that route I would lean towards Redding as they work well with Wilson and CH4D dies.

For precision work I bought the Summit and already had the coax. I will run tests on runout between the two presses and other tests when my 6 Dasher barrel comes in.

take care

r1kk1

fast ronnie
04-15-2015, 12:23 AM

I also use the older rockchuckers. Have two also. Good strong press. Primer catch trays don't always catch primers, but does get ALMOST all of them. I do not use the priming arm, as I have an RCBS automatic bench primer which works much better than anything else I have tried.

1hole
04-16-2015, 01:45 AM
I have a 25 year old green RockChucker 2 I bought new. If Lee had made their Classic Cast when I bought the RC my main press would be red; it's the better press. If I had to replace my old press tomorrow it would be red; I HATE tossed spent primers and getting primer grit in my ram!

The Forster is a good press but I don't like the ergonomics of the things and don't see any justification for spending all that money for a press that's awkward to use.

I have both Redding Comp and Forster BR dies, the Forsters cost less and work just as well for me; I don't much care if I have the micrometer seater heads or not.

doulos
04-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Ok guys haven't had to ask a question like this in a while. I am getting the stuff ready to reload precision rifle rounds, I need to pick up a good Single Stage press. Been doing research and decided to try and keep it under $200 so here are the choices Redding Big Boss (right at limit of budget), RCBS Rockchucker (middle of Budget) and the Lee Classic Cast (lower end of the Budget). I like some of the features on all the presses but am only going to buy one! Opinions needed, reasons too! Not just I have one that's why!! Thanks!!

Ive had a Rockchucker Supreme now for about 10 years. I like it a lot. But I also have a Redding Big Boss 2. That is very good also. You can't go wrong with either. The Reddings primer catcher is vastly superior to the RCBS though. The press stays cleaner too. Both are pretty smooth. People talk about slop in the Rockchucker. I don't see it in mine. The Redding has no slop either. The RCBS has mounting holes on both sides for the handle. The RCBS frame opening is 4.25 inches the Redding's is 4.5 in. The Reddings frame opening feels even larger because its offset. Im starting to prefer the Redding even though Ive used the RCBS for longer. I think its the superior of the 2.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-16-2015, 11:59 PM

Actually, the truth is the Lee Classic Cast not only is quality, but is also superior in design to a Rock Chucker. So you are wrong.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-17-2015, 12:03 AM

Having owned both Forster and Redding premium dies, if I spent the money again, I'd go strictly Forster. They're more durable, don't leave a ring on your j-words and Forrester seaters don't break with a compressed competition load in .223 caliber like the Redding seaters can do.

triggerhappy243
04-17-2015, 01:10 AM
Actually, the truth is the Lee Classic Cast not only is quality, but is also superior in design to a Rock Chucker. So you are wrong.

I am not going to waste time with this argument. I will repeat: In the 40 years of reloading with a rockchucker, I have never, ever, broke an RCBS press............................... ever.
and on this site, i have read of at least 3 people say they broke their lee press. I am not wrong about my rcbs. they still work.

dragon813gt
04-17-2015, 05:46 AM
Who has broken a Classic Cast press? And did they do it swaging bullets? Lee makes many presses and I'm assuming it was one of their weaker designs that broke.

Petrol & Powder
04-17-2015, 08:30 AM
A single press is a relatively simple device but it does form the backbone of a reloading system. Just about any "O" framed press will get the job done, the differences are: For how long?, At how much cost? and with what features?

The bell crank (the part that acts upon the ram to push it up) is probably the weakest part of any press and even those are generally overbuilt. I'm not a big fan of Lee products but I own some of their stuff and I'll give credit where it's due. Lee products can be good values.
It is just about impossible to go wrong with RCBS.
My best reloading equipment is made by Redding but I'm not certain their press is worth more than the RCBS.

gloob
04-17-2015, 07:56 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=broke+my+rock+chucker&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Trigger Happy. I spent hours compiling this list for your reading pleasure. Actually, I just googled "broken rockchucker."

triggerhappy243
04-17-2015, 08:19 PM
and you did not read ALL the info. First press was a partner, not a rock chucker, NEXT!, the op primarily used the press for swaging... and possibly reloading too. NEXT!, the third one turned out to be an rcbs jr2, NEXT!, 4th one sounds to be a rockchucker supreme. I heard they were made in china. I make no excuse for the ones made in china. 5th one claims to be a supreme as well.

my presses are all pre-supremes. dont know whatelse to tell you.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Cast steel RCBS A2.

1hole
04-17-2015, 09:48 PM
I am not going to waste time with this argument. I will repeat: In the 40 years of reloading with a rockchucker, I have never, ever, broke an RCBS press............................... ever.
and on this site, i have read of at least 3 people say they broke their lee press. I am not wrong about my rcbs. they still work.

I'm sure you are right and mean every word you (and others) say but it's factually relevant to the real issue. RCBS iron presses do break, I've seen photos of two RCs with the top strap snapped and several Partner presses with the bottom plate broken off. But that too is irrelevant; fact is nothing's fool proof to a mechanically inept but sufficiently determined fool.

I've not broken or worn out my 25 year old RC 2. Nor have I broken or worn out my 50 year old Lyman Spartan. Nor do I personally know of anyone else who has broken or worn out any iron press at all. So, where is the justification to suggesting green presses are in any way superior to similar presses of any color?

You repeat that "3 people broke their Lee press" as if Lee only makes one press so it is representative of what everyone can expect; that's not true. Lee make a wide variety of presses starting with a good grade of cast aluminum and even they are more that sufficiently strong to do the normal level of work one should expect with them. Obviously no light duty alum alloy press can possibly equal the massive strength of a much larger, heavier cast iron press but that's rarely needed. It's what some fools attempt tho ... and then express public outrage when they fail, as if the abused tool was the problem! ??

What you seem to be unaware of (but need to know) is Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses have cast steel bodies and steel toggle arms. Both are large enough and strong enough to FL size .50 BMG cases and no reloader needs more press strength than that. The press working surfaces are precisely machined and reamed on CNC tools. The user can adjust the lever angle and length to fit his needs. The spent primers drop through the hollow ram into what ever you want to collect them in, keeping the ram itself free from primer grit. NONE of that is true of my Rock Chucker!

I'm an old man who has been reloading a long time for everything that goes BANG and with a wide variety of presses, dies, case trimmers, tricklers, case lubes and scales. I go where the facts lead; I'll never have blind allegiance to any brand or model of inanimate objects when I KNOW something better has come along. All of Lee's stuff works and some of it's as good as it gets for the common reloader.

Bottom line, Lee's Classic Cast presses are equal or superior to anything in their class ... and they cost less too. Price often means a lot to beginners who have families plus wanting a lot of reloading 'stuff'. Suggesting new guys waste money on an over hyped, over priced press just because we may love it simply isn't helpful. And, if it matters to anyone, all of Lee's tools, including the castings, are American made, not just American assembled.

Coyote hunter, are you suggesting this new guy search for an A2? If so, where should he look and how much should he expect to pay for one? And maybe tell us why Rock Chuckers put the 'A' series out of business so long ago. (It's one thing to tell the world what out favorite press is, it's another thing to make a realistic suggestion to a new guy.)

04-17-2015, 10:20 PM
I have a Lee Challenger 2001 and a Lee Original single stage and they will do any round you want to do 45-70 down to 223/5.56 never had a problem yet, from the one who taught me the trade ( God bless your sole, my best friend ) and i wouldn't buy any thing else.
something about old stuff that is built to last unlike the new ****

triggerhappy243
04-18-2015, 12:01 AM
1hole, you make an excellent point... actually several. so i looked up lee presses, yes they make several different models, both cast steel as well as aluminum. I also re-read the O.P's post to see what he was looking for..... a good quality, entry level press. From What I read about RCBS supreme presses, I would not buy one. sounds like junk to me. I don't know, I don't own a supreme. RCBS had better reverse the rectal/ cranial inversion they are practicing, or they will lose a market foothold. I did try lee products in the past. Not the Presses, but the die sets and other tooling. that is where I was disappointed in their quality.

But the issue is with the presses. The classic cast is a cast iron press. So are My older rockchuckers(3). I buy for the warranty first off. I see the Lee has a 2 year. RCBS is lifetime, no questions asked. This is important to me. More important than price.

I never attacked anyone here about if Lee was ****, all I said, was I, MEANING ME, have never broke an rcbs press. It does not mean that some gorrilla dumb@$$ will not stand on the handle trying to resize a 50 cal. maxiball into a 26 cal swaging die. someone thru the gauntlet down looking for the Lee bashers. That was not me, If a lee works for you for 40 years, like my RCBS presses have, than you have a good press. My guess that the Lee presses that broke could have been the aluminum presses, or they were just never cleaned and lubed... Like mine get. carbon fouling is abrasive... in presses, just like in gun barrels.

BTW, I also never said buy a new press, there is always presses show up at divorce sales... usually for a song and a kiss.

gloob
04-18-2015, 06:17 AM
I somehow manage to sleep at night, knowing I might be the fourth guy to break a Lee press. I haven't loaded for 40 years, but my aluminum Lee press has already assembled some $4000+ dollars worth of components. I think I can afford to buy a new one in the event of an issue. At this point, it's like arguing that Glock is better than HK USP due to durability. When you're done shooting $20k worth of ammo, does it really matter, anymore? Will you be devastated that your $750 gun is worn out and won't be repaired under warranty? I don't understand why the warranty is the priority, here.

If you'd rather spend a little more to ensure that you are saddled with inferior features for life, then that's fine. :)

ascast
04-18-2015, 07:45 AM
ford chevy ford chevy

Gliden07 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?24480-Gliden07)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

hers a tid bit of USEFULL info- the CO-AX will not allow you to mount stuff like your powder thrower on top with a die to hold it in place. Nor can you use collet type bullets pullers. I think the priming system is **** on the coax ( my opinion), I use the RCBS bench mount for all priming, unless in progressive.
As for customer service - I have called RCBS to get missing parts for some item I bought at a yard sale or off line. And they send it to me at NO COST. I have done this several times NO COST.
I am not sure LEE would do this- I have never tried. I could go on but...

You can produce really good ammo with an old Lyman pound in sizing die and a Belding & Mull in-line seater. For that matter, if neck sizing only, you could get by with a Lyman Tru-Line JR for about $50. We can help you get the dies you need.

You might find an old Pacific "1933" for scrape price, generally more to ship. They will produce good ammo for many lifetimes. $15 upgrade for a universal shell holder and your good to go. Most gun shops will have these presses laying on the floor behind the counter. And they will be glad to get rid of them.
At some point you will want an electronic scale and neck turning rig. just sayin....

Farmall's ARE better tractors and you can break bulldozers

don't ask me how I know this

dragon813gt
04-18-2015, 07:46 AM
If you'd rather spend a little more to ensure that you are saddled with inferior features for life, then that's fine. :)

I like this quote :beer:

I have to say that a hollow ram for primer removal is the most important feature on any press for me. Once you've used one you won't want to use a stupid primer catch tray again. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. And I dislike having to pick up spent primers off the floor or move items on the bench top to find one that rolled away.

Petrol & Powder
04-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Lots of good points here. The bottom line is, "How much money do you want to spend"?

I think even a reasonably well made aluminum "O" framed press will work for years. I might spend a little more for a steel or iron framed press to get a bit more durability but when you get right down to what a press does, it's a pretty simple tool.
I agree with a lot of what 1hole said, price is an important factor. The money you save on the purchase of the press can be applied to other needs. Just how strong does it need to be?

Ford, Chevy, Ford, Chevy.............

P.S. When I started reloading I couldn't afford the best but times have improved a little and I could now buy the Redding. I REALY like Redding gear and own some of their products but I cannot bring myself to spend the money to buy their press. It's just not worth the additional funds that I can apply somewhere else, including my retirement account. Keep your priorities in line.

dikman
04-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Ascast, Lee might replace something at no cost, and then again they might not. They are inconsistent with whatever policy they have, in that some customers receive replacement parts for free and others do not. John Lee does not lower himself to reply to a customer's letter either (make of this what you will).

On the other hand, I've yet to read of anyone having a problem with RCBS's customer service.

Virginia John
04-18-2015, 08:36 AM
You just can't beat the Lee for price or function.

odis
04-18-2015, 09:11 AM
I've never tried a Lee press before so I can't vouch for them. I do own a rock chucker that I bought in 1979 that is still perfect and I own a big boss II, I really like the hollow ram for depriming.

flyingmonkey35
04-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Lee and then spend the rest of the cash on precision dies.

r1kk1
04-18-2015, 11:41 AM
The only current production cast steel frame press is the CH4D Champion. Since the RCBS Summit came out, the ram diameter moved the Champion moved down to third place below the CH4D Rock Crusher press. The ram on the Champion is solid and drilled through for primer disposal. A waste can below the ram gets 100% of the spent primers. This is the most ergonomic press I have ever used. It is one heck of a O frame press. This is out of the OPs budget.

I bought a Redding Ultramag through a used sale and it was brand new in the box for around 100.00. Primer through the ram disposal as the ram on this is not solid but hollow. A tube connects at the bottom to empty into the waste can. I believe all Redding presses have this feature. The Reddings can also use the LNL bushing conversion. Only the Boss and Big Boss II meets the OPs budget. I wanted a monster (hybrid, in my opinion) C press and the Ultramag fits the bill nicely. All current production Redding presses are cast iron framed.

I have already posted posts on the Summit and COAX. Only the Summit meets the OPs budget between these two.

Most people I know have more than one press. Back in the 80s I need a portable press to go where I go. At that time many Lee presses came and left my bench. I kept the Lee hand press as it earned a place in my hunting bag. I call it the knuckle Buster. It also doubles as a deer rattle if you decide to use it for depriming, (shaking primers out of the ram). I've taken several barrels with me varmint hunting and that little press saved the day when four of us found a hot spot for prairie dog action! I've never seen a broken Lee Challenger frame but the linkage at the time was not the steel linkage found on current Lee Challenger presses. It was easily broken. Two linkages later the press went back. Too bad, it held promise.

The Classic Cast series of presses came late to the game. I remember when they came out and were priced at 39.00 dollars. The press is slowly climbing into the price range of other presses. For the life of me, I do not understand the Breech lock version. It lost the excellent through the hollow ram primer disposal found on the other Classic Cast presses. The Classic Cast can use the Hornady LNL bushing conversion. It can also be handy for left and right handed users. A unique feature found on several Lee presses is the adjustable handle. The press is incredibly light at 13 lbs., the frame weighs 4.5 lbs. It has several advantages over the Challenger including steel linkage and the frame is quite a bit taller. I like that. But. . . I looked at one, operated the handle, and walked away. Fit and finish of the sample display was not good. I told the owner of the business he should put a better looking one out on display and his response was not nice. I remember the hype when it came out. In Richards book he stated that one of the presses I own is 40x stronger than needed for reloading. I guess I will look for something stronger if mine breaks! I do hope Lee stays on top of QC. The press is much better than the Challenger. The frame on the Challenger handled many forming takes but the old style linkage was very weak. I think, the Classic Cast single stage is the finest press Lee makes. It just wouldn't replace anything on my
bench.

I use a Harvey Deprimer and it handles 95% of depriming chores. Any of my four presses handle spent primers 100%.

Take care

r1kk1

triggerhappy243
04-18-2015, 01:33 PM
One other point I will Make, and then I am done with this thread.... because several here have made excellent points that I, too will Humbly agree with. BUY THE BEST TOOLS YOU CAN AFFORD.

odis
04-18-2015, 06:25 PM
One other point I will Make, and then I am done with this thread.... because several here have made excellent points that I, too will Humbly agree with. BUY THE BEST TOOLS YOU CAN AFFORD.When you're in it for the long haul thats the way to go.

r1kk1
04-18-2015, 06:38 PM
One other point I will Make, and then I am done with this thread.... because several here have made excellent points that I, too will Humbly agree with. BUY THE BEST TOOLS YOU CAN AFFORD.+1!R1kk1

bangerjim
04-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Lee..........all the way!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-18-2015, 07:35 PM
You can find A 2 presses quite frequently on ebay and even on here. 200-225 plus shipping is the going rate. And by the way the A2 isn't my favorite press. My A3 is. So are you criticizing my suggestion? Am I not entitled to a recomendation?

Not quite sure what is so "unrealistic" about my suggestion?

Has anyone ever seen a broken A2?

jmort
04-18-2015, 07:38 PM
I believe there was an A2 on S&S yesterday.

Found it, would get it if I needed a press.

Second is a new in box RCBS A2 Press..Primer arm and universal shell holder top ram. Never used. This is the later A2 without the top bushing. Need to get 300 dollars + shipping..As stated it is NEW.

rfd
04-18-2015, 08:12 PM
hard to beat the lee classic cast breech lock, i have a pair, nothing out there in reload press land is better, imho.

1hole
04-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Trigger, I wasn't unloading on you but your post did catch my eye because you made several observations I disagree with as you stated them. Actually, the 'harsh' things I mentioned was prompted by others who have said some really silly things that are either untrue or totally irrelevant to the OP's question.

I certainly don't hate my RC 2; well, except the way it tosses spent primers but I bought a little Lee Reloader and universal decap die to solve that problem. (Liked that so well I got another to mount a Lee AutoPrime 2 on - do love that two press priming system!) I also love the RCBS Precision Case Mics, except for the lousy dummy bullet device they have; no one has a lock on everything good!

I sure don't love everything Lee makes ... like that (semi) Safety Scale that's quite sensitive, very accurate but is also so light most of us keep bumping it around. I do love my old Lyman M-5 scale but it's no longer readily available and usually costs more than it's worth to a new guy when one shows up on eBay. BUT, IF it's assembled and used correctly, my cheep little Lee Perfect Powder Measure works astonishingly well, especially with the coarse tubular rifle powders my excellent old iron Redding Master and Herter's Model Perfect (?) measures struggle with.

Lee's warrantee is two years, if there's an honest manufacturing defect we should find it by then. No one gives away parts for "free". No one can afford to do that so those 'free' parts costs are factored into the original price. I take care of my tools and, in 50 years, have never had to order anything but a couple of small coil springs, a decap rod I bent and a few pins I broke, and a shell holder retaining C spring that snapped all by itself after about 20 years. And I once tried to get a new Precisioneered die body but ...

The one time I called RCBS to get a part I wanted to buy a (stripped) replacement body for a badly rusted 7-08 FL die that had been rain leaked on in long storage. The very nice C.S. lady not only wouldn't give me one, she wouldn't even sell me one! She did offer to sell me a new full set - at full MSRP, plus shipping! I politely declined and just bought a new Lee set on-line, at half the total green cost, and got another shell holder tossed in. (And the "cheep" new Lee dead length seater die gives me straighter reloads than my old RCBS seater. ??)

Lefty Red
04-19-2015, 03:06 AM
The Lee dumping primers through the ram is a nice feature. Don't know about the others but LCC bushing can be unscrewed and replaced with Hornady quick change bushing sleeve if you wanted to go that route.

What I did! Well worth it!
Jerry

Shiloh
04-19-2015, 08:59 AM
RCBS.
If you have the cash, The Forster Co-ax is very nice.

SHiloh

triggerhappy243
04-19-2015, 01:57 PM
1HOLE, SAD TO HEAR ABOUT THE RUSTED DIE. THAT IS THE ONE THING THAT RCBS DOES NOT AND WILL NOT WARRANTY. i HAD A FRIEND WHOSE ROCKCHUCKER PRESS SAT DIRECTLY BELOW AN UNKNOWN ROOF LEAK... WITH AN RCBS SEATER DIE STILL IN IT. RCBS SAID SOO SORRY TO HEAR THAT.

I BREAK/BEND DECAP STEMS DUE TO OFF CENTER FLASH HOLES IN BRASS ALL THE TIME. AND THEY DO SEND ME REPLACEMENTS... FREE OF CHARGE. AND IT IS TRUE, RCBS DOES NOT SELL RETAIL.... NOT EVEN TO ME. SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR BAD EXPERIENCE.

Gliden07
04-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Ok guys I am the OP of this thread! I can't believe how far this post has gone!!

Here is what I decided to do after reading all of the posts on here. I bought a Lee Classic Cast and I will tell you guys why (only fair I asked you why for your suggestions!).

1) Cast Iron
2) Made in USA
3) With removal of bushing I can use Hornady LNL quick change bushings. I already own a LNL press and Bushings!
4) Hollow Ram for Primer removal
5) 1-1/8" Ram
6) Cost $97 (at a company called Wideners) this was a concern but not the only reason I bought this press
7) Many of your experience's from this post
8) One of the largest frame openings
9) Strong enough to do Swaging (if I can ever afford the dies!!)
10) Did I mention MADE IN THE USA!! I like that!!

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions I took so much of this into consideration prior to deciding. I always get GREAT INFORMATION on this site!! I will be looking for Competition Dies in the near future and some of the money I saved on this press will be used for them!!

jmort
04-19-2015, 08:23 PM
You had three can't miss choices and you will not be disappointed.
Congratulations

rfd
04-19-2015, 09:48 PM
i've always come back to a single stage. i have no need for either pistol or rifle loading volume, so i've never bothered with progressives. i've been reloading since the early 60's and have used quite a few different brand name presses, both s/s and turret. i used to load .38spl. .357mag, 9mm and .45acp on a redding t-7, and lots of different rifle calibers on rcbs, lyman, redding, hornady, star and good ol' lee classic s/s and turrets. lee is all i use these dayze, IF a press is required. ;)

to the op - ya made a solid press choice, sir!

ascast
04-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Gliden07 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?24480-Gliden07)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png
good choice and best wished

I got to laughing about this last night- not long ago there was a post "how many presses...? " About 1/2 of those 1000 who responed were in the 7-10 prsses gruop, as I recall. Just so you know were yer headed.. lol

r1kk1
04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Gliden 07

have fun with your new purchase! The only press that I know of not made in the U.S. is Smart Reloader.

Take care

r1kk1

McCarthy
04-20-2015, 09:02 PM
And when you matured from the LEE you might be ready for the real deal. A Redding UltraMag.

SCNR :grin:

gunoil
04-22-2015, 07:59 PM
no, just get this: all around great station in your shop and buy a 1 ton $53 arborpress from Harborfreight. Two stations u will always use till you die. Buy good stuff.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/1E0A322E-6D71-4AC6-9E1F-50E03B924F59_zpsruvhpxmq.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/1E0A322E-6D71-4AC6-9E1F-50E03B924F59_zpsruvhpxmq.jpg.html)

zuke
04-22-2015, 09:23 PM
I've been reloading for 30+ year's and went with a new LEE Classic Turret. Set the dies once and just swap out turret's.

dudel
04-23-2015, 08:16 AM
I've been reloading for 30+ year's and went with a new LEE Classic Turret. Set the dies once and just swap out turret's.

Must be new, I also had to change out the shell holder on my old one. :kidding: That was the deal breaker.

rfd
04-23-2015, 08:25 AM
i've had a buncha turret presses from the lee classic to the redding t-7. with all, there's turret play to be aware of and recalibrate - not so with any single stage. the lee locking breech locks make reloading s/s style so much faster and easier, at least for me. ymmv.