PDA

View Full Version : Powder sticking to powder measure?

DonMountain
04-12-2015, 09:54 PM
I use a couple of old Pacific powder measures. One is usually set up with the rifle insert and the other one with the pistol insert in the measuring drums. My problem is that certain powders stick to the inside of the plastic reservoir and cast iron base/rotating drum base when I empty them out at the end of a reloading session by turning them over and tapping the sides. One of them I happen to be using now is HERCO by Hercules. Its a fine grain powder and it sticks to everything. Is there some way to avoid this? When I want to switch powders do I need to clean all of this old powder out somehow? Or will a few grains of one powder not bother falling into the wrong case? And what is the best way to clean out these sticking grains of powder?

Beagle333
04-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Rub the outside of the plastic with a dryer sheet. They should fall free then.

triggerhappy243
04-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Always.... Always... Always make 100 percent sure, that all the powder is cleared out before adding a different type powder to your measure... Unless you like your own 4th of july party in your favorite gun.

dale2242
04-13-2015, 08:49 AM
I use a 1/2" wide artists brush to remove powder stuck to the inside of any powder hopper.
The dryer sheet will help if it is static cling.
Don`t leave powder in plastic hoppers too long.....dale

EMC45
04-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Some powder will stick due to static charge and some powder will stick due to solvent type and content. I have had powder "etch" the plastic after a short while of having it in the tube.

osteodoc08
04-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Use a USED dryer sheet to wipe down the outside so you don't get any residue but still have anticling. I keep some downstairs in the gun room for it and the tumbler

Schrag4
04-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Use a USED dryer sheet to wipe down the outside so you don't get any residue but still have anticling. I keep some downstairs in the gun room for it and the tumbler

This, exactly. I had the same issue with powder clinging to the inside until I wiped it down with a used dryer sheet, advice given to me on a different forum when I posted about the same problem. I also cut them into strips to add to the tumbler and they take a lot of the gunk out with them, in theory prolonging the life of the media. I have 3 kids, 5th grade and younger, so I have used dryer sheets coming out of my ears.

troyboy
04-13-2015, 05:52 PM
The sheet did not work for me as some have suggested. I moved on to powdered graphite and this does work. Coat everything with a brush and the problem will be solved.

SeabeeMan
04-13-2015, 06:06 PM
I also use a USED dryer sheet from my stash next to the dryer for tumbling. I imagine powdered graphite would work as well and any contamination from it wouldn't hurt anything since some powders are graphite coated to prevent sparking.

DonMountain
04-13-2015, 11:54 PM
I use a 1/2" wide artists brush to remove powder stuck to the inside of any powder hopper.
The dryer sheet will help if it is static cling.
Don`t leave powder in plastic hoppers too long.....dale

I just finished edging in the "New" living room with a 3/4" wide tapered brush and it fits good into the powder measure. Thanks for that suggestion. I am also going to use the dryer sheets.

RickF
04-14-2015, 01:34 PM
I have several powder measures and store a couple of dryers sheets in each one when they're not in use, never have had an issue with powder sticking from static cling since I started using the dryer sheets.

gnostic
04-14-2015, 02:53 PM
They all do that. As long as it drops the right amount, who cares?