PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Puck

Tenbender
04-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Heaviest one I have ever seen ! :oops:

62chevy
04-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Detail is hard to make out. Sometimes if you get to close the camera will not focus.

RogerDat
04-16-2015, 05:42 PM
That says looks like it says "Babbitt" along the bottom and has type/grade which I can't read, could be 80% tin which would be really sweet. Babbitt was often used in motors so Liberty Motors stamping is consistent with that being Babbitt.

I see a USPS flat rate box under it. Were you getting ready to ship that to me as a surprise?

Tenbender
04-19-2015, 06:03 PM
That says looks like it says "Babbitt" along the bottom and has type/grade which I can't read, could be 80% tin which would be really sweet. Babbitt was often used in motors so Liberty Motors stamping is consistent with that being Babbitt.

I see a USPS flat rate box under it. Were you getting ready to ship that to me as a surprise?
LOL It does say babbit. Something about motors ? Don't remember. I will clean it up a bit and take another photo. It has a green-gray look. Does babbit have copper in it ?

RogerDat
04-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Yes it does often have copper that is one of the special things it brings to a bullet casting. Copper makes it a tougher lead alloy without making it harder and more brittle. Especially useful for hunting ammo in larger game when you want the projectile to stay in one piece and keep going even if it hits a bone. There is a sticky in this forum about Copper that might help you get the best use out of your find once you figure out what type of Babbitt it is.

Google Babbitt and check out the Wikipedia page. Whole bunch of different grades made with different alloy compositions listed there. Some manufacturers used a manufacturer specific "trade" name for their version of the standard grades but many times Babbitt will be stamped with one of the standard grades listed on Wikipedia. You may have to break out some Google-Fu to find out exactly what it is by searching based on what is stamped on it if that stamped information does not mention one of the standard grades found on Wikipedia.

Tenbender
04-21-2015, 08:31 PM

This thing is really hard. Can barely scratch away the oxidation !

This shows the blue color better .

62chevy
04-21-2015, 11:39 PM

This thing is really hard. Can barely scratch away the oxidation !

This shows the blue color better .

Wow that is a lot of definition for something that was intended for bearings.

RogerDat
04-23-2015, 03:13 PM
The tin tends to allow for a sharp fill out, so sharp looking lettering is a good sign. However I would see if I could sell that on eBay as an antique before I melted it. Cool design, sharp defined lettering & design might appeal to a collector. Price it as if it was heavier and pure tin, worse case you end up with more $ to put into known tin.