PDA

View Full Version : Has red dot changed at all?

Billairgun
04-11-2015, 03:13 PM
I just bought(at auction) an unopened 4lb can of Hercules red dot that is cardboard with metal ends that has a pull up plastic spout, and an opened 8ld cardboard tube with a lift of cardboard top with about a pound of powder left. Has Red dot changed at all as far as the loading manuals go? I figured for $5.00 I would take a chance.

CT-shooter777
04-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Hope not, since I use the same manuals from 25 years ago and have continuously replaced the powder with newer. answer as far as charge weight, no.
Not sure about the open container, I would do a couple of test loads to make sure it's still in good condition.

The real issue is will it (Red Dot) ever become readily available again.

Calamity Jake
04-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Yes RD has changed, about 7-8 years ago Alliant announced that it had changed RD to make it cleaner burning.
I use a lot of RD and could't tell much difference between new and old.
Load density didn't change any that I could tell ether.

runfiverun
04-11-2015, 09:43 PM
they added 2% nitro to make it burn cleaner.
I never seen a data change when the addition was implemented.
I just burned up a pound of the old stuff side by side with a pound of the new stuff and the gun nor chrono seen anything different.
the cleaner unique didn't change either.

but the density of 2400 has changed recently [about 2 years back]
I had to change all three of my powder dumps to get back to weight with the newer darker colored stuff.
everything stayed the same as far as velocity for grain amount, just the density of the powder itself changed. [it got heavier]

starmac
04-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Don't know about you guys, but I have sure noticed a change. It's called price and availability. lol

trapper9260
04-17-2015, 06:25 AM
Don't know about you guys, but I have sure noticed a change. It's called price and availability. lol
You got that right like alot of other things

firebrick43
04-17-2015, 09:41 AM
FYI. If you are considering buying larger amounts, get promo. It loads to the same weight as red dot (not volume) and performs like red dot. Only sold in 8 lb cans but at a very reasonable price. From what I understand it's how alliant recycle powder that's off. They a just the powder so it's burn rate is the same as red dot but it maybe be different in bulkiness depending on lot.