PDA

View Full Version : poor vision scope?

irishtoo
04-11-2015, 01:34 PM
hi, im setting up a rifle for a friend with very poor vision. handirifle 45-70. any advise or experience with a sighting devise that will assist in seeing the target better? thick cross hairs? higher powers? reddot? this will be in pa deer woods, shots are less than 75yds, most times much less. thanks to all, irishtoo

NSB
04-11-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure what "poor vision" is. Is he safe to be out in the woods? Is it so bad he might shoot someone by accident? There's a lot of degrees of "poor vision". If he can't adjust a scope to suit his eyes, he's got pretty poor vision. With corrective lenses can he drive a car or is he legally blind? I'm seriously not trying to be sarcastic but everyone I know with "poor vision" can use just about any scope once it's adjusted to their eyes. If he's in the early stages of cataracts, and has trouble in low light conditions, he might be better off with a red dot. Over the last year I had cataract surgery and a laser procedure called PRK and I can now see 20/20 and 20/15. He might be better talking to an eye doc (a real doctor, not an optomitrist) and see what can be done to get his eyes in better shape or find out if there are some corrective lenses he can use to help him shoot better.

Doc Highwall
04-11-2015, 07:16 PM
For the distance you stated a low power scope with heavy cross hairs would be best in a wooded hunting situation.

oldfart1956
04-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Irish, like yourself and your friend I to hunt the brush here in southcentral Pa. In particular...the cedars. Visibility often limits the range and as well the amount of light available in them cedars. Last season 2 deer were dropped at 30yds. and 15 yds. Both with a red dot. UltraDot to be specific. I like the red dots and have them on my hunting handgun and am sure they'd work well on a rifle. The upside, no more losing the crosshairs in all that stuff. Put the glowing dot on target and shoot. I have killed groundhogs out to 80yds. with it as well. Now the downside, the lens is tinted (even without the polarizing adapter thingy) and it makes visibility in low light an issue at times. I found the way to counter-act that is to keep both eyes open. The dot just floats in mid-air and appears visible to both eyes. Go figger? Adjust the brightness of the dot if need be, or go with the variable dot size version. If your friend would like to try a low cost version go to WalMart and pick up one of the BSA units there and slap it on a .22 rimfire for him to try. ($20/$30?) I've had one of them for 5 years on several .22's and still on the original battery. Probably wouldn't use it on a high recoiling gun but fine to see if he like them. Audie...the longwinded Oldfart..

tdoyka
04-12-2015, 12:20 AM
i have a handi-rifle in 45-70 too. i'm going to get a red dot scope(mueller) on mine. it will definitly shoot at 75 yards. mine will go roughly 100-125 yards using a 350gr ranch dog and a 405gr cast fbfn. if you handload, use the trapdoor loads.

Digital Dan
04-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Red Dot. I like the Millett SP-1 w/3 MOA dot. Price is fair and from all appearances they are tough enough to endure. My first of 3 is 16 years old. Off a bag rest it is sufficiently precise to shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards. I have cataracts in my shooting eye though that will be corrected in a few days.

A group shot in 2011 with ammo loaded in 2002, rest is self explanatory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/627b4656-cd5c-45f5-a12c-e336e1f16dcd_zpsi3ucunrq.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/627b4656-cd5c-45f5-a12c-e336e1f16dcd_zpsi3ucunrq.jpg.html)

It does well enough at closer distance also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/pig%20pen/DSCN3597_zps969347ea.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/pig%20pen/DSCN3597_zps969347ea.jpg.html)

rush1886
04-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Another vote for a red dot. And, another vote for the UltraDot specifically. Great sights, very easy to acquire the sight picture, and built very rugged.

GhostHawk
04-12-2015, 09:56 AM
I just put a 40$ Simmons Red dot on my H&R .300 Blackout.

Love it, almost instant target, 3 colors to choose from, red, green, blue (I really like the blue, not much deep blue in nature)
3 light intensity levels for each color.

Works great IMO for accurate close range shooting, 50-75 yards and under.
The only con is no magnification for 150 yard shots or target shooting long range.

irishtoo
04-12-2015, 01:18 PM
ok...............red dot it is. thank you all irishtoo

Tenbender
04-12-2015, 04:48 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Simmons ! :oops: