PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Illinois need advice

Mohavedog
04-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Well members, due to family needs I have moved from Az to Il. That was tough for me after being born and raised in Ca. and the last 30 yrs in Az. Anyway I am in need of contact from Il members to get acquainted and to give advice on the particular Il gun laws. I am in Cook County but not in the City of Chicago. I am aware of the magazine capacity restriction in Cook County but not much else. Also, need info on obtaining FOID card and possible CC permit. I have CC in Az now if that's helpful for the process in Il.
I welcome any info on gun clubs, shooting ranges, and gun forums for Il residents.
Thanks in advance, John (Mohavedog)

Lefty Red
04-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Welcome to Hell!
Up there is a whole different animal than down here.
But if you ever get south, let me know and I will take you around.
Jerry

starmac
04-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you need to get aquainted with BWB. Good luck on your move.

ohland
04-11-2015, 01:41 PM
I am in Cook County but not in the City of Chicago.

I will pray for you. Cook County is probably one of the most dysfunctional (IMHO) places you could have gone to in Chicago, and that's saying something.

Prepare to get religion on more rules, regulations, and personalities than in California.

:shock:

Bohica793
04-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Move back......quickly.......

davidj
04-11-2015, 01:51 PM
+1 best advice there is.

tigweldit
04-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Run John Run!! Either move north of the Cheddar Curtain or south to Indiana. I was born and raised on Chicago's south side. I never go back for any reason. Very anti gun culture, and the police violate your civil rights better than any of New York's best (?). We do have more water than the SW,that is the only + to living here.

DCP
04-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Maybe Bad Water Bill will chime in he is close to you.
Me I wont go near Cook County if I can help I will send me a PM

Gofaaast
04-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Welcome to Illinois. We need some pro gun votes in cook county. I moved to IL as well a couple years ago. Where you are in Cook county though is the worst county in IL as far as gun rights, and should be its own state. We finally voted in a republican governor by a slim margin.�� The only county that the liberals won the majority vote for the democrat incombent was Cook. I beleive to get your foid card you must first have your IL DL. Go to the IL state police web site under FAQS and you will find all the needed info. I can't help you on the cook county gun laws, but that same web site has some info about it I think.

Dhammer
04-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Most gun stores have FOID applications. It can take a while to get your FOID card so sooner then latter is better. Cabelas usally has info listed in classes done out of their location in Hoffman Estates. But there are several locations running classes for IL's concealed carry license in crooked county..

Mohavedog
04-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Thanks each and every one for your replies. I was well aware of the mess I was getting into with the move but other considerations made the move necessary. I'm prepared to make the best of the move. Thanks Lefty Red for the invite to a tour.
Keep the info flowing as I need all the help I can get to avoid problems with the anti gun politics. Mohavedog

DCP
04-11-2015, 06:24 PM
http://fox2now.com/2015/03/07/state-police-no-more-paper-applications-for-foid-cards/

http://www.shoregalleries.com/foidcardapp.pdf

doc1876
04-11-2015, 08:04 PM
if you are Catholic I would suggest a bunch of Hail Marys. otherwise I to welcome you to hell.

Bad Water Bill
04-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Well me and Girty finally found you.

FOID card waiting time is less than 30 days right now.

Never mind these punk kids here that are trying to scare you back to your old home base.

If you have any questions about firearms in Il or Crook Co let me know and I will try to help you out.

runfiverun
04-11-2015, 09:02 PM
hope you didn't take your guns with you.
I'm pretty sure you committed a felony [or two or three] for each one you imported in to the communist regi err chica err illinoianda okay crook county. scheesh.....
probably would have been easier to move to California.

starmac
04-11-2015, 09:07 PM
LOL Without a foid card is it even legal to bring casting and reloading supplies into the state??? lol How are they on fishing gear??

472x1B/A
04-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Welcome to our state Mohavedog. If you happen over to the west side, close to the Mississippi let me know. My door is open for some shooting fun. Be careful there in Crook Co..

lightman
04-11-2015, 09:52 PM
They do have good beer there!:drinks: Really though, Good Luck in your move, my hats off to ya for doing what ya have to do.

Plate plinker
04-11-2015, 10:46 PM
don't go.... stop and turn around. well vote first and then two or three more times.

Bad Water Bill
04-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Be sure to stop for the worlds best Pizza.

The only real place is spelled AURELLIOS in Homewood.[smilie=s:

Plate plinker
04-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Bill why did you have to bring up the pizza? Is it deep dish? Or real pizza that's not two I inches thick?

Bad Water Bill
04-11-2015, 11:44 PM
"JOE SENT ME"

What self respecting Eye talian pizza establishment in the area would pollute their ovens by making a deep something or other?

"MAKE MINE A FIESTA SUPER 6" mmmm good for my family since they were on Ridge Rd.

Ed Barrett
04-12-2015, 12:18 AM
I grew up on the south side of Chicago and lived there and Palos Hills after I got married In 1968. I left Illinois in 1976 and moved to Missouri, best thing I ever did. I go to Cook county once a year to visit some friends and relatives in the south suburbs. They are stuck there because of jobs, but when they retire they are gone to more tax friendly and honest areas of the country.

DCP
04-12-2015, 07:30 AM
Be sure to stop for the worlds best Pizza.

The only real place is spelled AURELLIOS in Homewood.[smilie=s:

Bill they have one in Peoria man are they good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for calling us Kids I feel young again

LUCKYDAWG13
04-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Well members, due to family needs I have moved from Az to Il. That was tough for me after being born and raised in Ca. and the last 30 yrs in Az. Anyway I am in need of contact from Il members to get acquainted and to give advice on the particular Il gun laws. I am in Cook County but not in the City of Chicago. I am aware of the magazine capacity restriction in Cook County but not much else. Also, need info on obtaining FOID card and possible CC permit. I have CC in Az now if that's helpful for the process in Il.
I welcome any info on gun clubs, shooting ranges, and gun forums for Il residents.
Thanks in advance, John (Mohavedog)
Welcome John this is a good forum to join that can help with getting your IL CC http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/
this will help if your a hunter http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/default.aspx

Kraschenbirn
04-12-2015, 06:28 PM
First thing you need to do (after getting your FOID application in) is join the Illinois State Rifle Association. ISRA is the strongest pro-gun voice we've got in this state. Their website (www. (http://www.isra.org/)isra.org (http://www.isra.org/)). is a wellhead of good info and they've got a pretty decent outdoor range at Bonfield, IL in Kankakee County...which is the next county south of Cook. Or, if you get really desperate to shoot at something, I'm about 2 1/2 hours south and our local club has 25M handgun and 300M rifle ranges. (Club membership is fully booked right now, but regular members have 'guest privileges' and I'm usually out there once or twice a week.)

Bill.

Duster340
04-12-2015, 09:06 PM
Welcome to IL. DuPage county here. The IL state police site will walk you through the foid process. It's pretty straight forward. My favorite lgs is in cook county, North American Firearms in Lombard, Bernadette is the owner and a pleasure to do biz with.

Be well neighbor

mjwcaster
04-14-2015, 01:50 PM
I would say welcome, but instead I will say I'm sorry.
I understand family obligations, thats the only reason we are still here.
And since it is to be close to our parents, I hope we are stuck here for a while, because we will only leave after they are gone.
Be prepared for major culture shock, you are in a major Me,Me,Me, gimmee, gimmee, gimme area.
Helping hands are far and few between.

I have only had one person in the last 2 years that I have asked who wasn't looking forward to getting out of here.
Everyone else is only here for job or family.

The FOID has to be applied for online now (or you can call and get a paper application for minors/those without internet access).
https://www.ispfsb.com/

I believe you have 60 days to get your FOID after moving in.
So get over to the DMV, get your license and then go online and apply.
Cost is $10+convenience fee for 10 years.

What city are you in?
That can affect Cook County laws, if the city/municipality has home rule laws on the AWB/magazine restrictions, you may have less or more restrictions.
Magazine restrictions should not apply to handguns, but since our Concealed Carry Law (Firearms Concealed Carry Act-FCCA) was so poorly written we do not have a definitive answer, not until we get the law revised or have case law to review.
The biggest issue with the AWB's and magazine restrictions is ordering items, even if they are legal.
Smith and Wesson has written off Illinois in their latest M&P magazine promotion, only willing to send us 10 round magazines for the entire state.

Prepare to get confused, our laws are so poorly written and out of date that you cannot make sense out of many of them.

And IL Concealed Carry license is $150 +~$3 convenience fee, after 16 hours of training.
Your AZ CCW is of no use, but IL hunters education is recognized for 4 hours of credit, military service is good for 8 hours.

If you want to drive I instruct about 40 miles south of the city, perhaps closer depending on where you are at.
If not I can't recommend illinoiscarry.org enough, besides help with all firearms issues you can find other good trainers there.
There are cheap trainers out there, but make sure to look for reviews on them.
I am not a cheap trainer, about middle ground priced we have our own range with shooting both days of training and it costs to provide that.

Also I second joining the ISRA, membership is only around $30.
Please join, gun owners here are an apathetic bunch and we need all the help we can get.

Indoor handgun ranges can be found in and around cook county, rifles are much harder to find locations for, especially longer distances.
Be prepared to join a club or drive to Indiana.

Any more questions feel free to ask, I can provide info on some ranges that may be local to you.

Matt

azrednek
04-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Formerly from the south side of Chicago. I was a die hard Sox fan but our current president has me re-thinking that. From what I'm told from relatives. Wear a union t-shirt when applying in person for anything. When asked to register to vote, even if already done so, register as a Democrat other wise things might get lost. You can always change at a later date.

Relatives in the Quad-Cities area don't have it quite as bad but I'm told Republicans are treated like out-casts.

A relative of mine couldn't get his water on, garbage picked up or mail delivered until he registered as a Democrat. His wife failed the test for a driver license after claiming to have already registered as a Republican. I don't know if she really flunked or not but it didn't take them long to figure out what was going on.

castalott
04-14-2015, 08:07 PM
hi John...welcome....I even hate to start on this....

If I were you this is what I would do..... When traveling...Always keep your guns unloaded and locked in a proper guncase. Do not store ammo in the case or even with the guns. Lock it in something else in a different part of the car.

A few years back, a man was travelling thru Chicago with a shotgun in a case. Stopped by the law, they asked him to take it out of the case so they could see it. He did as told and was promptly arrested for having a gun out of the case. It went all the way to the Illinois Supreme Court before he was cleared.

The laws are a mess and abused at times. Trust nothing and no one. Don't get pulled over. The first thing you'll be asked is if you have guns in the car.

It's best to keep your nose clean.....

Bad Water Bill
04-14-2015, 10:18 PM
Another reason for joining http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?act=idx is that there is a page listing lawyers who work with firearms cases in your area here http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40387 .

My ammo is carried in military ammo cans and guns are stored in proper separate cases in my trunk..

NEVER exceed the speed limit with firearms in your car PERIOD
If for some reason you have to enter a hospital make sure each and every step and requirement is explained and in righting and explained to you.

Keep a complete copy stored somewhere.

One member of IC did not do that.So far he has spent or set aside over $20,000 for legal fees and the case has not hit the court yet as far as I know.

So far ALL of his NRA certs,his FFL and his CCW instructors cert and license as well as his FOID card have been voided and ALL firearms had to be liquidated.

Welcome comrad to Illinois.

458mag
04-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Once had a buddy that transferred from California who was retiring. Told him before he went back to California I was going to give him a bottle full of my on personal brew and asked him to pour it out on California when he crossed the border because that was as close as I was ever going to get to urinating on it. He chuckeled and said he was originaly from Il and would be returning there. I said in that case I would give him a brown paper bag full of my personally manufactured material he could dump out the window when he got there.

hardware
04-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Ah Illinois. I miss my friends and family there. I miss the museums and the food! I do not miss much else. Especially the rust! If you need technical help, especially at a cell phone store... go to the Orland/Tinley area (if you're not already there). At least in the south suburbs, you may end up getting ignored elsewhere. Chicago has a lot of racial tension...

bbs70
04-15-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm from down state IL.
I'm moving to Mo.
Tired of all the **** from Chicago & all their corruption.
They don't even try to hide that they are crooked & corrupt

Bad Water Bill
04-15-2015, 06:00 PM
I bet if we could take away the votes from the entitled,union workers and other city employees we could clean up Crook co in a hurry.

OOPS forgot we have to cover all of those cotton picking tomb stones as well.

CLAYPOOL
04-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Cook co., crookest in the state. Me and lefty red live in the second crookest county in the state, Franklin. "Move south young man"..

marlin39a
04-16-2015, 08:32 AM
The thought of leaving Arizona and taking my guns to a communist stronghold gives me the shakes!

Bad Water Bill
04-26-2015, 11:06 PM
Ah Illinois. I miss my friends and family there. I miss the museums and the food! I do not miss much else. Especially the rust! If you need technical help, especially at a cell phone store... go to the Orland/Tinley area (if you're not already there). At least in the south suburbs, you may end up getting ignored elsewhere. Chicago has a lot of racial tension...\

Well look who crawled out of the tool drawer.

Now if we can get him to post a few more times he can wander in all of our hidie holes.:bigsmyl2:

azrednek
04-27-2015, 12:04 PM
The thought of leaving Arizona and taking my guns to a communist stronghold gives me the shakes!

I'm with you on that, I just can't imagine living elsewhere with my guns except maybe Alaska!! I've been in Arizona since 53, no way I'm going to where it is cold.