PDA

View Full Version : Loading Mistake......Used Magnum Primers instead of Standard Primers..Help!

jleneave
03-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I loaded 100 rounds of .44 Mag with Laser Cast 240 grain LSWC. They were loaded over 16 grains of Alliant Blue Dot. The Lee load data gives a max charge of Blue Dot at 16.8 grains. I thought I was using standard CCI large pistol primers. After I got done loading the bullets I was entering the load data into my reloading log and noticed that I had mistakenly used CCI large pistol magnum primers. Are these rounds safe to use or am I going to have to pull all the bullets and start over. They will be shot through a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I really hate the idea of breaking all these rounds down and starting over.

Andy_P
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Others will say no, but I have the same gun, and have used 15 grs (one grain less) of Blue Dot under the same weight bullet with a CCI Magnum primer on a routine basis. I'd go ahead and shoot it.

jleneave
03-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Others will say no, but I have the same gun, and have used 15 grs (one grain less) of Blue Dot under the same weight bullet with a CCI Magnum primer on a rountine basis. I'd go ahead and shoot it.

Thanks for the fast reply. I was thinking that the Lee load data was for any .44 mag and I know that Rugers are supposed to be stronger than most other guns of this type but on the same token I don't want to damage the gun or myself. Any other opinions on the matter??

Jody

44man
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I would not worry and just shoot them.

jcwit
03-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Go Bang

Blammer
03-11-2008, 02:47 PM
the difference in pressure from mag to std primer is neglable.

I'd shoot them with no worries.

BUT, I'd shoot 2 or three rounds, note the primer and or case for standard pressure signs JUST in case.

But I suspect you should have nothing to worry about.

standles
03-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Personally I would shoot them but in the end it is your decision.

However, I would make this a wakeup call to be more vigilant in your reloading practices. If this had been an oerload or worse a double charge situation it would be much different.

Not sure how the mixup occured but distractions can be your downfall in reloading.

I speak from experience. I used to relaod with a radio/TV on but after pulling 500 rounds because I thought I let a double charge through taught me different.

Steven

jleneave
03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I thought that I would be alright in shooting them but I just wanted some other opinions.

I am usually very vigilant. I check and re-check everything I am doing. I weigh every powder charge when reloading rifle ammo and most all the time for pistol ammo also. Every now and then I might only weigh every other pistol powder charge. I hand inspect every case, I debur the flash hole on every case, uniform primer pocket on every case, chamfer inside and outside of mouth on every case, I tumble every case before resizing and then again after working up cases before priming, charging, and seating bullets. I do this for both rifle and pistol cases as I want as much uniformity as possible. I even measure C.O.A.L. of every loaded round, ect, ect. I keep a very detailed loading log and assign lot #s to my loaded ammo so that you can take a box of my loaded ammo, look at the lot # and go to my log and it will tell you everything you want to know about the box of ammo and I report back with a range report on every lot of ammo. As you can see I am very detailed when loading. The reason this happened is my 2 year old daughter loves to help me when I am reloading so I usually let her help when I am working up the cases. She hands me the case then I work it up and she has a nylon neck brush that she runs down inside the case and then puts the finished case into a plastic MTM box. She begs me almost every day to "make bullets daddy". This time I primed the case and was letting her put them into the loading tray and my attention strayed for only a second when I was getting the box of primers. It don't help matters that CCI primer boxes all look the same, not to blame CCI because it was totally my fault for not double checking like I usually do. I love that my daughter is taking such a big interest in this hobby. I can't wait until she is a little older and can shoot with me. She already has to come outside and watch me everytime I shoot. We live out in the county so it is only a matter of walking out into the back yard and I am at my shooting range. She is already shooting a BB gun. I sit on the ground behind her and help her hold the BB gun up and she pulls the trigger. She rarely hits the plastic bottle but when she does she gets really excited and I love every minute of it!!! I have learned my lesson and you can bet the next time we load together I will triple check everything!!! Thanks again for all of ya'lls replies.

Bass Ackward
03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I loaded 100 rounds of .44 Mag with Laser Cast 240 grain LSWC. They were loaded over 16 grains of Alliant Blue Dot. The Lee load data gives a max charge of Blue Dot at 16.8 grains. I thought I was using standard CCI large pistol primers. After I got done loading the bullets I was entering the load data into my reloading log and noticed that I had mistakenly used CCI large pistol magnum primers. Are these rounds safe to use or am I going to have to pull all the bullets and start over. They will be shot through a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I really hate the idea of breaking all these rounds down and starting over.

The easiest way to answer is to start low and work up. Load one round at 15 which is clearly safe and one at 15.5. If all goes well, then 16 would be the next logical test. Then you will know and not be guessing.

personally, I have shot a little higher when I wasn't leading. That's the issue as far as I am concerned. Cause you fire the first 6 and everything is fine and then all of a sudden groups are opening up. That ain't just from leading, that's because pressure is increasing too. If the leading builds, then the bullet has to get passed that so pressure goes up some more. The white smoke from the lube is going to be the tell tale sign. All lubes will smoke at some pressure level.

So shoot and look.

opentop
03-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey Jleneave,

I think they will be fine to shoot. I’m with Blammer, shoot a couple and look for signs of high pressure on the case and primer.

Funny thing about reading your post about reloading with your daughter. Just minutes before I read your post. I was sitting at my rockchucker press resizing 38 sp. Brass. My 6 year old daughter was sitting on my lap placing unsized cases in the shell holder while I pulled the handle. Then she pulls the sized case from the press and the repeats the process. She also helps me sort by head stamp when ever I buy a lot of mixed brass.

Anyway, stay safe and happy shooting.

compass will
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
If you decide not to shoot them, them green hammers work great for pulling bullets.
If I am running 45's through the turret press, I do check every 10th charge, and do a visual check on each load, but when i am done I throw each one on a digital scale. If its that far out from the normal weight I pull the bullet and see if it has powder or not. Maybe I am being "over safe" if there is such a thing.

MT Gianni
03-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Let your Chrono tell you the difference. Gianni

racepres
03-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Others will say no, but I have the same gun, and have used 15 grs (one grain less) of Blue Dot under the same weight bullet with a CCI Magnum primer on a routine basis. I'd go ahead and shoot it.

+1... I mean.. me too!!!

jleneave
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
I would like to thank everyone for replying. I was really scared that I was going to have to break all those rounds down and start over. I am breathing a sigh of relief.

Bass Ackward, I think that these rounds will be safe. However, I think I will take your advice and load up 6 rounds of each with CCI mag primers at 15 grains of Blue Dot and another 6 with 15.5 grains of Blue Dot and watch for signs of pressure as you suggested. I should have thought of that and it is a good idea, thanks!

Opentop, I am glad to hear that you and your daughter are doing the same thing. It has definitely made reloading a lot more fun for me. I have 3 daughters, I was really hoping that this one was going to be a boy but now that she is here I wouldn’t trade her for two boys. I just hope that she stays interested and we spend a lot of time together doing this. All of my friends make fun of me for having 3 girls, they tease me about having sissy sperm….lol.

Compass Will, I don’t think that there is a such thing as being overly safe when it come to reloading. As you can see from my ordeal it only takes a split second of being distracted to make a mistake. Be safe and thanks for the reply.

Jody

454PB
03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
We all preach safety, and we all make mistakes. Your minor mistake should not cause any problems, and I've used hotter loads of Bluedot with 255 gr. cast boolits in a SBH many times.

Now the preaching:
While it's great that your young daughter loves to help you "hands on", be aware that kids are the most affected by lead poisoning. Fired cases that have contained lead alloy boolits can be coated with lead, and even the primers are a source of lead contamination. I realize you tumble your brass, but does that completely remove the lead? You know how much kids have their hands in their mouths, so keep that in mind after she has assisted you and make sure her hands are well cleaned.

PatMarlin
03-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Just cock your head back to the left and squint real hard when you fire.. :Fire:

That's waht I do.. :mrgreen:

jleneave
03-12-2008, 02:11 AM
We all preach safety, and we all make mistakes. Your minor mistake should not cause any problems, and I've used hotter loads of Bluedot with 255 gr. cast boolits in a SBH many times.

Now the preaching:
While it's great that your young daughter loves to help you "hands on", be aware that kids are the most affected by lead poisoning. Fired cases that have contained lead alloy boolits can be coated with lead, and even the primers are a source of lead contamination. I realize you tumble your brass, but does that completely remove the lead? You know how much kids have their hands in their mouths, so keep that in mind after she has assisted you and make sure her hands are well cleaned.

I do worry about her being exposed to lead. I keep a good eye on her and anytime I see her hands start towards her mouth I stop her. Anytime she has helped me I make sure her hands are washed immediately afterwards, even if they don't appear to be dirty. I was them with soap and warm water and I have a scrub brush that I use on them too, is that enough or should I be doing something else too?? She also wants to come outside and help me with smelting down WW but I absolutely refuse to let her do that not just because of the lead issue but I would be scared to death that she might get burned. She throws one hell of a fit too but I set my foot down on that. I appreciate your concern though, thanks.

Jody