PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Lee Powder Disks

jim4065
03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm happy overall with the Lee disks, but have one complaint - they're not offered in enough sizes. Skipping the very largest size, (since I don't see how Lee could go much larger without overhanging on the base), has anyone drilled these out to get some intermediate sizes? I've talked to Lee and Dave says no problem, but now I'm wondering how to figure the intermediate steps. Do I just find a mid-size bit and drill it out? How do you smooth the inside surfaces? Never had much luck with sandpaper on plastic. Thought that I'd leave the largest (or smallest) cavity on each disk in original shape, then obliterate all the hole markings except that one to keep from using it wrong. I have three sets of disks total, so it won't hurt to modify one set.

Surely this has been done a bunch by others. Anything to watch out for? :???:

MT Gianni
03-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Do you have the adjustable one? [I forgot what they call it] What about a double disk kit? Gianni

jim4065
03-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I have the adjustable and the double disk. The trouble seems to be in getting "fine tuned". I can't get to where I go up in small enough increments. Hmmm - makes me wonder if the adjustable could be mounted above or below a regular disk. Haven't tried that yet. :roll:

WyrTwister
03-12-2008, 06:52 AM
I'm happy overall with the Lee disks, but have one complaint - they're not offered in enough sizes. Skipping the very largest size, (since I don't see how Lee could go much larger without overhanging on the base), has anyone drilled these out to get some intermediate sizes? I've talked to Lee and Dave says no problem, but now I'm wondering how to figure the intermediate steps. Do I just find a mid-size bit and drill it out? How do you smooth the inside surfaces? Never had much luck with sandpaper on plastic. Thought that I'd leave the largest (or smallest) cavity on each disk in original shape, then obliterate all the hole markings except that one to keep from using it wrong. I have three sets of disks total, so it won't hurt to modify one set.

Surely this has been done a bunch by others. Anything to watch out for? :???:

First , try the doubble disk kit . Use 2 smaller size holes instead of one big hole .

Second , split rhe end of a wooden dowell , insert emery cloth & spin with an electric drill motor . For smaller size , use a large cotter pin .

God bless
Wyr

verney
03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I wonder why Lee doesn't make adjustable bar in double disk height.

jim4065
03-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder why Lee doesn't make adjustable bar in double disk height.

You're right. That would help a lot. Another help would be a disk (or two) with oblong holes instead of the circular ones. They could hold much more powder. And make it in both single and double height versions.

Last complaint - the miserable, flimsy "side extensions" for the double disk kit. :mad:

DLCTEX
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
I have used the adjustable above with the double disc kit, just be sure that the top (adjustable) is smaller than the bottom so that there is no bridging on a ledge. That could lead to erratic measures. DALE