PDA

View Full Version : My shop-made case trimmer is ready to go

bangerjim
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Had some spare time last weekend so I cranked out this little puppy:

It is nice to have metal lathes and milling machines in your shops!

Body is from the aluminum stock scrap bin.

5/8 drill rod (not hardened) for tail stock. Cutter is a 4 blade carbide insert "thingy" I had. Made pilots of hard brass for every cal I need.

Headstock is one of those Lee Zip case holder chucks.

Tail stock has an AlBr bushing, so it is not going to wear out very soon! Or develop any play.

Tail stock has both course and fine micrometer depth adjustments (the brass effort on the shaft). 40 TPI gives excellent fine adjustment.

Handle is a tall case clock winding key from my "OTHER" hobby!

Next I will make a black walnut base for it on the shaper, hence the two holes. Right now, I just put in the bench vise and crank away.

B4 I mount it, I will powder coat the base, head, and tail stocks with my ESPC gun. (stuff like that does not BBDT very well!)

Fun making things! Especially when it does not take that long. And yes, I could have spent around a hundred bucks or so for a commercial one, but this way I have total control of any accessories I may need or dream up.

banger-j

waarp8nt
04-10-2015, 07:30 PM
Looks like you done a fine job. Well thought out. Good Work!

I have a south bend 9" and a small bench mill. Used them for many small projects, only bad thing is having enough time...

CastingFool
04-10-2015, 09:24 PM
looks very nice! yeah, you could have spent money to buy one, but there is great satisfaction in making your own equipment.

dragonrider
04-10-2015, 11:24 PM
Excellent work bangerJim. I really like the crank. I am assuming you have room enough for the longer case, 30-06 and longer? Yes is sure is nice having a shop. Don't know what I would do without mine.

bangerjim
04-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Excellent work bangerJim. I really like the crank. I am assuming you have room enough for the longer case, 30-06 and longer? Yes is sure is nice having a shop. Don't know what I would do without mine.

I built it with my '06 cases in mind .........and longer (someday?). Since it is modular, a new base can be whipped out easily if ever needed. 2 allen head counter-sunk cap screws and 2 dowel pins hold the head and tail stocks in place.

country gent
04-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Nice job done there. Give it a nice brushed finish and its good to go, after you "sighn: your name to it. No job is done till you put your name on it.

03fatboy
04-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Very nice work,there's something about making stuff yourself that makes you feel good.

gray wolf
04-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Great job,

Got to love the talent.

troyboy
04-12-2015, 09:20 AM
The satisfaction every time you use the trimmer will be priceless. Great job.

Three44s
05-14-2015, 01:54 AM
Not another one like it in the world!

Well done and enjoy!

Three 44s

kfarm
05-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Got a question. How substantial is the Lee chuck, I was going to use one for a project but have put it off not knowing. Also how does the chuck mount. Thanks Carroll

BTW that's a good looking trimmer.

bangerjim
05-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Got a question. How substantial is the Lee chuck, I was going to use one for a project but have put it off not knowing. Also how does the chuck mount. Thanks Carroll

BTW that's a good looking trimmer.

I'll have to take it off and see how it mounts. I really cannot remember. Olde Tymer's Diseases?

I think it is standard 1/2 x 13 threads.

I holds pretty tight and releases easy with a quarter turn. Fits every case I have tried.

Will advise.

banger

kfarm
05-14-2015, 09:05 PM
That's good enough, I'm gonna get one. Got some things I want to try on the lathe.

Artful
05-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Nice Job - I assume the powered option is the next step :kidding:

CGT80
05-15-2015, 02:35 PM
You beat me to it.

I was going to ask where the power cord was.

I built mine with a power cord, but it is on the back at the bottom.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k484/CGT80/Shooting%20Reloading%20and%20Boolit%20Casting/photobucket-7666-1355736141590.jpg

bangerjim
05-15-2015, 02:53 PM
Nice Job - I assume the powered option is the next step :kidding:

It's called the "elbow grease motor". I have no problem cranking the thing. Gives me more upper body exercise anyway!

If I cannot crank a simple thing like that to fill my trimming needs, better start hammering the coffin nails in!!!!!

bangerjim