PDA

View Full Version : Brass mold

tdoor4570
04-10-2015, 03:38 PM
I picked up an all brass mold in 36 cal round ball and bullet. When I cast the short handles get hotter than ----. Is there a way to make a set of handles to add on to this mold to make it easyer to handle. Love the balls and bullets that it drops just can't stand the heat.

runfiverun
04-11-2015, 01:35 PM
piece of round stock wood, some jb weld, and a drill bit.

Mal Paso
04-11-2015, 04:18 PM
These were made from a downed Oak, ripped on a table saw and attached with JB Weld.

tdoor4570
04-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Good ideas now all I need to do is learn how to drill a rectangular hole

bangerjim
04-22-2015, 06:07 PM
You do NOT need to drill a rectangualr hole!

Just drill a hole smaller than the metal you are trying to cover and DRIVE the handles on the tangs. That is how handles are put on most tools. Once on (and they happen to come off) it looks like some one drilled a square or rectangular hole. Not so.

Try to put a brass ferrule around the front ends to keep the handles from splitting over time. If you do not have a source of brass tubing, use metal conduit!
banger-j

tdoor4570
04-22-2015, 06:21 PM
old style mold all one piece hinged on end all brass and short and hot

country gent
04-22-2015, 06:25 PM
use copper end caps for soldering as ferreles fit to handles and drill hole thru them works great and very solid when done

GoodOlBoy
04-23-2015, 01:02 AM
yep I agree with the other fellers. wood handles are alot easier than they seem.

GoodOlBoy

eggwelder
04-24-2015, 06:00 AM
wood handles yes. how these guys said. be careful with the JB, overheating it can cause it and other epoxies to soften and fail.

StrawHat
04-24-2015, 07:27 AM
It sounds like you have a mold for casting boolits for a C&B revolver. They tend to have thick handles. Not sure if you can fit a wood grip to them and still be able to close the blocks. A photo would help, if you can post one.

Kevin

tdoor4570
04-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Strawhat I am unable to post a pic. but fround a pic in Dixie gun works catalog CA0901 . It is for a C&B revolver. Handles are 1/2 in wide by 1/4 in thick. It is a great mold but gets real hot fast. want to make something to keep the heat off my hands better

dkf
04-25-2015, 11:22 PM
Could always wrap the handles with a high temperature fiberglass cloth tape or fiberglass reinforced foil tape. It is not the cheapest stuff but a few wraps will keep your hands cooler. http://www.mcmaster.com/#glass-tape/=wwwl2r

MtGun44
04-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Drill two holes in each handle, use small stove bolts to bolt
on wooden handles.

gwpercle
05-01-2015, 06:04 PM
old style mold all one piece hinged on end all brass and short and hot
I bought one of those to go with a replica 1851 Navy Colt. They look cute but are next to worthless for casting, wear welders gloves ??? I saw one modified by drilling two holes in each of the metal handles, drilling and tapping the holes then attaching wood handles on the outside with screws through wood into metal handles. The other suggestions , of round handles will not work because the mould will not close... The handles have to be on the outside of the metal mould handles and it can't go around the whole metal handle. I tried one casting session with the little devil....just one!
I keep the little replica mould with the revolver, for looks, and use a Lee round ball mould , double cavity, to actually cast balls with. A lot easier than fighting the metal handle attachment issue.
Gary

tdoor4570
05-02-2015, 06:50 PM
I am not drilling holes in this mold, it is older than you and me together not a replica. giot some stuff coming in if it works I will post about it.