PDA

View Full Version : Re-pinning a lee mold

dakotashooter2
03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Has anybody re-pinned a Lee mold? Over the years I have bought a few Lee moulds that are servicable but the alignment pin/slots are worn to the point where you have to slow down to insure they are aligned. I am considering drilling and pining them similar to a lyman or RCBS mold to squeeze some more life out of the molds. Anybody done them in this manner?

Buckshot
03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
...............Nope. However I've drilled them out and used ground dowel pins. You gain some more life, but the mould eventually dies again. It's that old, "Steel vs Aluminum" thing. Steel will win everytime.

..............Buckshot

DLCTEX
03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
If you used a steel dowell and seated it in a steel tube, what would wear? I've been thinking of doing one of my worn molds this way. By using a stepped dowell the same dia. as the tube reciever and drilling the blocks together it should be perfectly aligned. DALE

PatMarlin
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Interesting.

mold maker
03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
My two --6 cylinder Lee molds have this exact arrangement. These might be available from Lee, so all you need do is bore and install. The outside dia. might be pretty large for single cav. molds, and set screws might be needed to hold in place.