PDA

View Full Version : Lead Blanket Price

sass2924
04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
What's the going rate for lead blankets? I'm guessing they are about 18"x72" and the seller is saying they weight about 70LB's. They are asking $50 each so i'm think its right around .75/lb. Not sure thats a good deal or not.

triggerhappy243
04-10-2015, 12:50 PM
whatelse are they composed of? all the other material has to weigh something.

sass2924
04-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Should just be the blanket material and lead. They said the lead was woven threads shaped like triangles. I'm thinking it's close to pure lead.

triggerhappy243
04-10-2015, 01:23 PM
i would want to see it first. if this blanket is composed 100 percent lead, then go for it.

John Boy
04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
What's the going rate for lead blankets?
The product is called sheet lead and many scrap yards have it for 65 to 70 cents a lb. Sheet lead is 98 plus Pb

Wayne Smith
04-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Unless this is the material used for protection during x-rays.

sass2924
04-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Unless this is the material used for protection during x-rays.

Almost, from a nuclear power plant

bumpo628
04-10-2015, 05:13 PM
I don't think it's worth the risk. What if it is rubberized lead?
In other words, it could be difficult to process so I don't think it's worth the price.

kristopher.wheeler
04-10-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't think it's worth the risk. What if it is rubberized lead?

Or it glows in the dark! [emoji33] [emoji3]

I'm too scared of nuclear stuff to mess with something like that from a nuke plant.

woodbutcher
04-10-2015, 07:59 PM
:bigsmyl2: Look at it this way.Fire the boolits at dawn or dusk and you have a tracer that wont start a fire.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

R8ed
04-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Finally some thing I can reply to with first hand experience, shielding blankets! I see them every day. Usually bright yellow vinyl covering.
There are a couple different types at the plants I work at.
I've seen two types that are sort of like a quilt, a little thicker in the middle and fairly flexible. One style has really fine lead wool. This stuff is high purity lead and melts fast due to the fine strands.
The really old ones had lead shot, but this becomes a foreign material nightmare if they rip open and pellets go everywhere. Especially in pumps and coolant systems. These are becoming obsolete.
There are some with sheet lead in them, maybe 1/4" thick. These will feel stiff when bent, and if gently folded in half the will stay in kind of a curled wave shape. The quilts will kind of collapse on their self.
Some of the new lead blankets I've seen have a grey jacket with yellow kevlar thread seams. These also have kevlar thread sewn inside the plastic lining to keep the lead wool from settling to the bottom when the blankets are hung as part of a shielding package.
There are some ruberized lead impregnated shielding for use underfoot. You would never mistake this for bullet mold foder as it basically like a anti fatigue mat. Looks just like yellow rubber to the eye, but is heavier in weight.
As far as being from a nuke plant, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it has been released from the plant it should have been surveyed to be radiologically clean.
Today I saw a pallet full of bright shinny brand new lead bricks stagged for an up comming shielding package......
not enough to be worth my job, but enough to salivate over.

Almost, from a nuclear power plant

R8ed
04-16-2015, 08:17 PM
If you can get your hands on lead snakes they are good too. Kind of like a lead wool filled tube sock. Used kind of like a lead chinking to shield dose streaming from slot type openings or around pipe penetrations through walls.
Easier to handle than humping around 70lb blankets. I know from experience.