PDA

View Full Version : Updates from people PC'ing Desert Eagle 50ae

MacFan
04-10-2015, 09:46 AM
My powder coating 45acp and 7.62x39 has been a success for almost 2 years now. I'm considering trying to PC 50ae for a Desert Eagle. I know Ebnerglocken has been doing it, not sure about others. Does anyone have some long term test results and load recipes they'd like to share?

greenhornet-1
04-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Interested as well. What mold are you all using?

ebner glocken
04-10-2015, 02:13 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/246337/rcbs-1-cavity-bullet-mold-50-340-swc-50-action-express-500-diameter-340-grain-semi-wadcutter?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Use your barrel for a chamber gauge, just going off of OAL will leave you with a round sticking in the chamber. The powder coating leaves material on the ogive of the bullet that will stick unless you seat deeper than a non coated bullet. I've had good luck with ww296 and HF red mixed with a little white leaving me with a nice barbie pink slug. Start low as you're seated deep and work your way up to good function and accuracy. I can't see any reason you can't shoot cast in a DE as long as you're aware to keep naked lead off of it.

Ebner

willie_pete
04-10-2015, 02:18 PM
I've used it in a DE in .440 Cor-Bon ( 50 AE necked down to .44 ). 240 gr. lyman. Haven't seen any issue yet with HF PC.

Wp

CT-shooter777
04-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I've used it in a DE in .440 Cor-Bon ( 50 AE necked down to .44 ). 240 gr. lyman. Haven't seen any issue yet with HF PC.

Wp

Interesting, that has me thinking about a P/C Lee C430-310-RF in my DE .44, had not even thought of it till this thread.

Thoughts ?

06ackley
04-10-2015, 06:45 PM
I use a mold from Accurate Molds. Its the 502325g I believe.Been using john deere green pc and use H110.

ProfGAB101
04-11-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm looking for a good bullet for powder coat for my DE XIX 44 Mag - Right now only mold I have is the LEE 6 cav 240gr RN. I'm thinking a 240 SWC might be a much better choice.

greenhornet-1
04-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Thanks ebner. I'll look at getting one of those molds!!!

MacFan
04-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Ebner, do you worry about pc'ing the base of the bullet? I see on the DE forum people theorize vaporized lead from the base is the cause of clogged gas ports.

Smoke4320
04-23-2015, 07:28 AM
If I can jump in here.. Yes PC the base and you will have no issues with plugged gas ports from lead

CT-shooter777
04-23-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm looking for a good bullet for powder coat for my DE XIX 44 Mag - Right now only mold I have is the LEE 6 cav 240gr RN. I'm thinking a 240 SWC might be a much better choice.

Have you tried the round-nose 240gr RN PC'd yet, that was going to be my first choice, sort of a .44mag FMJ .

As far as lead in the gas ports, I think that has more to do with lead shaving off on/in the gas port,
Vaporized lead ? how many time have we seen factory FMJ's with the lead base exposed, sort of blows the vaporized lead theory.

Softening of the perimeter of the base due lack of proper bullet to bore sealing, flame cutting, would likely cause gas port lead shaving to be more extreme, therefore the need for gas checks to remedy the issue.
Gets back to proper sizing, lubing, pc-ing and such.

CT-shooter777
04-23-2015, 09:22 AM
If I can jump in here.. Yes PC the base and you will have no issues with plugged gas ports from lead

Pc-ing the base may act like a temporary gas check. a bullet proof vest so to speak.

ebner glocken
04-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Before I started bb tumbling bullets to PC I was using the harbor freight ESPC gun and did not coat the bases. This created no problem in clogging the gas port, all fouling that I had cleaned had been carbon. If there was any lead there it was in trace amounts and with any routine cleaning this shouldn't be a problem. If you're shooting enough between cleanings for this to be an issue IMHO you're not cleaning your gun often enough.

Obviously since I'm bb tumbling now lead issues are no issue at all but it wasn't for any other reason than tumbling is much easier and quicker. At the end of the day I'm not buying into the theory of lead "burning" off at the base, becoming vaporized, and somehow condensing in your gas port, in fact I find it a bit hard to consume. There is not enough heat there for enough duration to do this in my opinion. From my experience lead fouling comes from the bearing surface of a bullet, not the base. The bearing surface should be totally covered from whatever process you're using if done correctly. I'm curious to hear opposing views.

Ebner

jmden
10-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Hello all. New guy to this forum trying to learn more. Looks like a great forum with a ton of info.

Have a DE in .50 AE and want to shoot cast, but are you guys always resizing after powder coating or not? I've seen some guys mention doing that.

Jon

jcren
10-09-2015, 12:30 PM
You usually need to resize after powder because you gain a couple thousandths. However ,most of us do not size before powder. Suppisingly the powder coat is so tough that you can size several thousanths without damaging the coating, and it even serves as lube for push through sizing.

jmden
10-09-2015, 10:27 PM
So, just to be clear, as an ignorant new guy trying to wrap my head around all of this, you should NOT take a commercially made hard cast bullet, powder coat it, and shoot it, as it would be over dimension, likely causing a dangerous over-pressure condition, correct? You wouldn't do this because you couldn't resize a commercially made cast bullet down to the correct dimension once powder coated, without proper dies.

jcren
10-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Sure you can resize a commercial bullet after coating (or any other time for that matter) and yes, if you take a .452 bullet, powder coat it to .455 and stoke up a max pressure load for a gun with a .451 barrel, you might cause a dangerous pressure spike.

jmden
10-10-2015, 11:17 AM
So with the polygonal rifling in a DE in .50AE, I guess the question would be how to determine what to resize to and (sorry to be bother) I could use some help figuring out what resizing die would be a good choice. I'm looking at using the Cast Performance 370g WFNGC bullet: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CP500370A and hope to push it to 1300-1350+ with a stout charge of H110. I'm getting nearly 1575fps from a 300g XTP with H110 and would like to alternate these bullets/loads in the magazine for when in bear country.

Edit: Is this what I need? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411862/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-501-diameter

jmden
10-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Have also considered using the 350g Beartooth Bullet they say is good in the DE, but is doesn't have a gas check. But maybe that's not an issue if I PC...

MacFan
10-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Hello all. New guy to this forum trying to learn more. Looks like a great forum with a ton of info.

Have a DE in .50 AE and want to shoot cast, but are you guys always resizing after powder coating or not? I've seen some guys mention doing that.

Jon

I resize after PC'ing regardless of the caliber. Don't know if it's always needed.

jcren
10-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Didn't mean to leave you hanging, I don't have any experience with poly rifling. I would search "slug a glock barrel" in the Google search here for that answer.

ryokox3
10-12-2015, 01:30 AM
So with the polygonal rifling in a DE in .50AE, I guess the question would be how to determine what to resize to and (sorry to be bother) I could use some help figuring out what resizing die would be a good choice. I'm looking at using the Cast Performance 370g WFNGC bullet: http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=CP500370A and hope to push it to 1300-1350+ with a stout charge of H110. I'm getting nearly 1575fps from a 300g XTP with H110 and would like to alternate these bullets/loads in the magazine for when in bear country.

Edit: Is this what I need? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411862/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-501-diameter

jmden, Yes I would think you should start with that resizer. It is possible you would need it at .502 or .503 which can be accomplished with some lapping compound in that sizer, but honestly I do not think you should go there right now. A chamber cast with cerrasafe or pushing a 100% lead slug through the barrel and then micing it would give that answer. Still your boolit sized at .501 after powder coating will likely be more than accurate enough.

I don't know much about the DE, but for poly rifling in glocks, powdercoat allows cast boolits to be used.

So, just to be clear, as an ignorant new guy trying to wrap my head around all of this, you should NOT take a commercially made hard cast bullet, powder coat it, and shoot it, as

This has me a little concerned. Most commercial cast bullets are already lubed. If you have one that is, you MUST remove all lube before powder coating. IMHO it is easier to just cast your own than it is to remove commercial lube. Also looking at those grizzly bullets you posted, they are lubed so you would have to remove all that first. I would not consider it worth the effort personally.

fredj338
10-13-2015, 02:09 PM
So, just to be clear, as an ignorant new guy trying to wrap my head around all of this, you should NOT take a commercially made hard cast bullet, powder coat it, and shoot it, as it would be over dimension, likely causing a dangerous over-pressure condition, correct? You wouldn't do this because you couldn't resize a commercially made cast bullet down to the correct dimension once powder coated, without proper dies.
A couple of issues with this. One, you have to remove all traces of bullet lube before powder coating as noted earlier. The sizing issue is not about pressures but getting the loaded round to fit. Often adding 0.002"+ of PC w/o sizing, can make a larger bullet too large to chamber properly. I size all my bullets after coating. That way they are uniform in dia, especially helpful with mixed manuf cases.

MacFan
10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Not sure why you couldn't resize a commercial jacketed bullet, the lead is usually pretty soft. (Someone else may have better info on this)
As far as sizing lube, use a few drops of Dawn dish soap to tumble lube, after you resize rinse it off with hot water.
After using dawn on cast bullets I rinse out my sizing die with hot water and then shoot it down with a little rust preventative.

jmden
12-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Dawn dish soap for resizing...good enough. Thanks.

After resizing, no lube needed to fire these though, because they are powder coated, right?

https://flic.kr/p/C8mv8K

Getting the lube off. Had to boil multiple times til no more wax came off, then rinse in acetone...

https://flic.kr/p/BXLi4y

https://flic.kr/p/BaWV2n

MacFan
12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Your bullets look good they should work fine. Too bad there's not an easier way to remove wax!
This is what I'm using. I cut down a Lee C501-440-RF mold that gives me a powder coated bullet weight of 320-323gns.
I stand them on their noses to ESPC so the bases are completely covered. The second picture shows a finished bullet on the left, a bullet from the mold before cutting the mold down in the middle and a factory Hornady cartridge on the right.

I do resize again after PC'ing with Dawn as a lube to .501. I rinse all the Dawn off, no lube is used to shoot. I only have a couple hundred through my Desert Eagle and so far no signs of leading in the gas port or barrel.
I also have a Baby Eagle in 45acp and shoot powder coated through its' polygonal barrel with no leading problems. Keeping my fingers crossed! Keep us posted.

ebner glocken
12-16-2015, 05:10 PM
You won't need to cross your fingers, it shall be just fine. Shoot more and be happy.

Ebner

scarry scarney
12-22-2015, 04:00 PM
MacFan-Who/how did you cut your mold?

MacFan
12-22-2015, 05:14 PM
MacFan-Who/how did you cut your mold?

I fly cut it in my vertical mill. Hitting my target weight for the cast bullet was a little bit of math and a whole lot of luck. Maybe pure luck.

mattw
04-22-2019, 09:55 AM
I know... I am waking a very old thread. I just started running powder coated, gas checked Saeco 230 grain bullets thru my now very old 41 mag DE. So far they have shot like a dream. I do wish I could see into the gas ports, but so far no issues with feeding or cycling. I do always finish off the session with a mag full of really hot jacketed loads. A lot of the current production 41 mag ammo will not cycle this beast. The only reliable factory ammo I have found was the IMI 41 mag designed for the DE. I have been loading my own stuff to match the velocity of the IMI with H110.

I have it not because I like the DE, but because I love 41 magnum and this was another medium for my favorite magnum round.

Conditor22
04-22-2019, 05:18 PM
These shoot great! you go any hotter and it becomes a REAL HANDFUL

50 AE DE H110 27grn 377gr 0.501 15bhn NOE 502-383-RF PC'd with one coat ASBBDT shake, dump, and bake.

Accurate and barrel stayed clean.

Work your way up to this load

https://i.imgur.com/6rYASNW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/fSy80dv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GeYdPmD.jpg