PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make s die adapters for walnut hill/RCE

goblism
04-10-2015, 12:38 AM
I am looking to buy an adapter for s dies for a walnut hill press. I currently have 2 sets but really feel like I need a third set to go with another set of dies that I have. Last time I asked Richard Corbin about this he said he didn't make them anymore, or at least that is the impression I got. So does anyone make the adapters for the internal punches? Thanks in advance.

rbt50
04-10-2015, 02:51 AM
I got mine from Richard corbin . you could try dave corbin or you might get lucky and find something in a hardware store.

captndiet
04-10-2015, 08:53 AM
I asked Richard about them a few months ago. Here is his reply.

{I can make an adapter set to allow the use of some type S dies and punches with the Walnut Hill press. The set is $65.00. The problem with trying to adapt S dies and punches is that the specifications for them are just all over the place. There are several small variations with Corbin Mfg products that make it difficult to make an adapter set that works in all cases and then there are any number of copies made of the Corbin tools that quite often just are not made properly. Then there are special problems with boattail dies or dies to make lighter or heavier than normal bullets that require custom made adapters. All in all the best bet is to use the S press with S dies and my presses with my dies. It really isn’t the simple thing to do that most folks think it is.}

I then decided I would make a new ram for the Walnut Hill to work with the S-dies. The CNC shop said 'no problem' and I have a s-die ram as a sample. But then the CNC shop got busy and I got pushed back.

I have a Corbin S-press so it is not a big deal, more a want.

Jeff

midnight
04-10-2015, 09:33 AM
I think a couple of months ago I bought the last four 7/8-14 to 5/8-24 adapters Richard had on hand. Since I have found it easy to make them. I use 7/8-14 grade 8 bolts. I first square and relieve the bottom of the head and then mill the top of the head square and the desired thickness. I then bore and thread it for whatever I want to screw into it. I use 3/8-24 for most of the draw die punches and 5/8-24 for David's "S" dies but I also made some 7/16-20, 1/2-20, & 9/16-18 adapters in case I want some larger diameter punches. I made a bunch of "blank" adapters for holding the internal punches of "S" dies. They are ¾ drill rod about 2½ inches long with the hole drilled for the pin. The top is drilled to accept the heads of the various internal punches with set screws to
hold them. I can mill off the bottom to make the exact length I need to eject the core, seated core or finished bullet. You do need a mill and lathe but I'm an old retired guy and these things fill my time.

Bob