PDA

View Full Version : BSSP press

sglshotitis
04-09-2015, 09:27 PM
If you own a BSSP press would you please comment on it if you have actually owned one please. Your experience with it would be valuable to me.

I'm new to this forum & swaging, but not to reloading but have been AWOL for over 40+ years and am re-entering the venue. I found that the price variations for swaging presses has a huge swing from low to upper pricing. My needs will be minimal vs what a lot of you on this subject have. I'm attempting to justify the expenditures of beginning swaging vs staying with casting. I found the cost of the BSSP quite attractive price wise, but have not a clue to it's dependability or range of use, i.e., calibers/weights. It certainly is quite a bit different in design compared to the vertical presses, subsequently my inquiry. Thank you for your time and consideration.

goblism
04-09-2015, 09:33 PM
I know you only want opinions of individuals who have used the BSSP press but I want to make you aware that Richard Corbin's sea girt is only $70 more than the BSSP.

just bill
04-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Jixxer Bill has a few YouTube videos on the BSSP. Check them out.

Bill

Utah Shooter
04-09-2015, 09:56 PM
They work great. What would you like to know about them? I use it with Blackmon Dies. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?162126-Just-talked-with-Mr-Blackmon/page3

Toobroke
04-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I also use Dr Blackmon's press and .22 caliber dies. Quality tools. What do you want to know?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?91698-Anybody-Using-Larry-Blackmon-s-BSSP-Swaging-Press&p=981752&highlight=#post981752

sglshotitis
04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Thank you all for responding. I will be looking up the uTube videos for sure as they most likely will answer a lot of questions that I have not thought of yet. What I would like to know about the press is as follows:

1. Dependability. Have you had any issues with the BSSP and if so what were they? What do you like/dislike about the press?

2. How did you mount your press to your bench? Has anyone utilized Pat Marlins "Rockdock" system with the BSSP and if so how has that worked out? I ask because of the design being a horizontal affair and am wondering how convenient it may be to work?

3. I see that you both, Toolbroke & Joe Christensen, use Blackmon dies and would like to ascertain why you have chosen that particular line of dies?

4. What do you consider is the BSSP's capable range of calibers? I currently have .22's, 30's, and .458 calibers that I would address. My principal interest would be lead boolits but most certainly would delve into jacketed type at some time. How would the press handle the larger calibers?

5. Does this BSSP have the same mechanical advantages that the more conventional (vertical style) presses have or does it require a different method to accomplish it's work?

These questions may seem very parochial, but to a raw newcomer to swaging they are bonafide questions. There is little information out there that addresses these questions, even by the companies that produce the tooling to accomplish swaged bullets. Why??? It leaves the swaging subject in the dark and mystical and retards it's growth. Too bad, as I wonder how many have delved into the subject but took the path of casting as it appeared less complicated to them. Those of you who step up to aide the newcomers are to be commended. Your assistance is very much appreciated and that comes from one who has become borderline on swagings use. Once again, thank you for responding and your willingness to step up to the plate.

B R Shooter
04-10-2015, 07:04 AM
I have one, I use it for 22 and 6mm jacketed bullets using Blackmon's dies. I have it mounted on the bench with a spacer between it just to raise it a bit so the ejected bullets can roll into a container. His dies are very good, they make very good bullets. I know of one person that uses his press/dies to make 30 caliber bullets that are of benchrest quality. I would ask him about .458 bullets.

One thing I have "problem" with, which really isn't much of a problem, is the die body loosening some while swaging. When you are trying to achieve as much consistency of possible, it can change things a bit. I solved it simply by attaching a pair of vise grips to the body of the die where it is knurled (lightly) where the vise grips hang on the tightening side, and gravity keeps the die in contact with the press and doesn't loosen.

Joe, Toobroke, have you experienced this?

just bill
04-10-2015, 07:16 AM
I'm building a 300 win mag long range rifle. I ordered 30 call dies, sent him some cores and jackets. A few months later I had the dies, right out of the box I was making 200 to 225 gr. BT Boolits, I asked for 210 gr.
I'd say his dies are right up there with the best. I was told that his dies are bench rest quality, I can't can conferm that , however others said he makes dies for die makers.
Bill

mold maker
04-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Before you make a decision, check out BT Sniper's dies, here on Cast Boolits. He's an up front honest tool maker, that I've dealt with several times. He may be able to save you some big bucks, with the same results.

TJF1
04-10-2015, 08:52 AM
I have 2 Blackmon presses for 8 years and have had no problems
with them at all. I like them. Terry

clodhopper
04-10-2015, 10:26 AM
I get the loose die syndrome with corbin series II, walnut hill and lee classic cast. I think it is more a product of applying pressure than poor quality tools.

Utah Shooter
04-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Before you make a decision, check out BT Sniper's dies, here on Cast Boolits. He's an up front honest tool maker, that I've dealt with several times. He may be able to save you some big bucks, with the same results.

Honestly no way. BT will not save ANYONE money compared to Blackmon Swage Dies. I have seen the prices and BT could not beat Larry's price 3 years ago when he (BT) started making his dies. No! You do not know what you are talking about and frankly I am getting a bit sick of hear the same clap trap.

Wow!!!! BT offers an auto eject and a core mold with his package for what $1300? Blackmons whole setup (that comes with a press might I add) not needing a $200 eject system and comes without a core mold for $750. Do us a favor and please leave your cognitive dissonance elsewhere. Is your core mold really worth the $450 difference?

Further more (just in case no research has been done) has anyone seen what BR bullet makers are using for 22 cal? I guarantee the 7s 52 gr FBHP is what almost everyone is making as far as I have seen. If not I will guarantee you it is not the 6s 55 gr FBHP.

Please the gent asked about the BSSP! Trust me there is enough of us that own one that will steer him straight and not to a myopic opinion that die makers here are the only game in town.

sglshotitis
04-13-2015, 07:13 AM
Jixxer Bill has a few YouTube videos on the BSSP. Check them out.

Bill

Attempted to bring up the uTube videos on the BSSP but was unable to locate them. My uTube skills may not be up to standards. Does anyone have the url's on these? I would appreciate any assistance that is available. Thanks. Al

just bill
04-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Attempted to bring up the uTube videos on the BSSP but was unable to locate them. My uTube skills may not be up to standards. Does anyone have the url's on these? I would appreciate any assistance that is available. Thanks. Al

youtube jixxerbill

should get you to the 3 vid's on making jackets, #2 & #3 show the BSSP in action.

Bill

Prospector Howard
04-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Hey Joe, you might want to check the price list on the local guys stuff. Looks like you underestimated the price by about 500 to 600 dollars. Interesting.

goblism
04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Might need to give blackman a try, just put more walnut hill items on backorder

Swede44mag
04-15-2015, 03:06 PM
What is a BSSP press?

bfuller14
04-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Larry Blackmans (Bullet Swaging Supply Press) is what his
web sight calls it.

Red River Rick
04-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Check here: http://www.bulletswagingsupply.com/

Utah Shooter
04-16-2015, 10:07 PM
Hey Joe, you might want to check the price list on the local guys stuff. Looks like you underestimated the price by about 500 to 600 dollars. Interesting.
Dear lord. I can find Detsch or Ulrich Dies made of Carbide for around another 400 bucks last time I was quoted.

Swede44mag
04-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification.

aaronraad
04-18-2015, 02:08 AM
Still some reasonable BSSP information on this thread. Not one of our greatest moments, but evidence that we do enjoy a wide variety of personalities and backgrounds on this sub-section of the forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?248047-Blackmon-Press-Picture

newcastter
04-19-2015, 10:14 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137385&d=1429494518
I STRONGLY recommend the blackmon setup, this photo shows how I set mine up. I mounted it to a 2x12 and am able to mount it to any flat table like surface via the Irwin quick grip clamps. Its nice because I don't have to keep locked up in the gun room when I can do all these steps on my island in the kitchen and be with my wife and kids. I just knocked out a 2,000 core batch this weekend all within .2 grains and that was for my blasting ammo......Joe is right on the money with his thoughts and advice for you. This is a match grade setup that NO ONE on this forum could argue, you just have to put in a little time for the match grade bullet. I honestly would never use jixxerbill as a reference for advice on blackmon dies/press please don't follow after him or you will have well..his results. And one has to wonder why someone would comment on a thread called BSSP Press saying that bt can save you money with the same results......That's complete bull **** Bt will charge you double with good results not match grade results. Let Joe's comment of 7s ogive being the more popular choice for benchrest shooters sink in and even do research and that will lead you to the right choice. And last time I checked BT does not offer anything in the line of presses. So you think your gonna get match results in a set of dies that is made for well any press......I'm sure you can figure that out. So your are already in the right direction with interest in the blackmon setup so set your mind at ease with this purchase, and his wait time is months compared to years opposed to what the local guy will tell ya..
Good Luck and report back with your success.
Ben

just bill
04-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Dear lord. I can find Detsch or Ulrich Dies made of Carbide for around another 400 bucks last time I was quoted.
Last time I talked to Detsch he had a 14 ojive for .308 for only 1400.00, point forming die only, I don't know if it was special, however talking to him is an experience.
Bill