PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Model 86/71 in 45/70

Bad Ass Wallace
04-09-2015, 05:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Ped%2086_71_zps5w3sjluj.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Ped%2086_71_zps5w3sjluj.jpg.html)

Over Easter I had a chance to directly compare the Marlin "Cowboy" and a Pedersoli Model 86/71; both levers in that classic old cartridge 45/70

I looked closely at the Marlin about 2 years ago and found that COA was critical to proper feed and function. Any ammunition with a projectile over 350gns simply would not feed from the magazine.

The Pedersoli is a very solid outfit, almost a pound heavier than the Marlin, quite a high grade of walnut has been used and the colorcase hardened receiver finished surpurbly as late manufactured Pedersoli's have become renown for. The magazine and barrel had a rich blue/black finish. Side by side, the Pedersoli just oozed a high quality of workmanship, that the Marlin did not! The action and trigger were as smooth as silk and equal to a Browning 86 which I have handled in the past (but couldn't afford)

We tried some dummy rounds with a 520 gn Lyman Postell bullet seated in the crimp groove, through the Ped 86 and it passed with flying colours. Each cartridge had at least 5mm of clearance in the very generous magazine well. This Model features a 1:18" twist with the deep rifling featured on most of the Pedersoli match grade barrels and best suited to launching big 500gn + cast projectiles.

The only things I would change would be to drill and tap the generous tang for either Pedersoli's own lever tang sight or other quality outfit and that 3/4 magazine should be lengthened to full, after all with the bigger projectiles that will feed through the action, it will only hold 4 rounds and not 5.

Would I buy one, you betcha, just as soon as I can save the funds!

NSB
04-09-2015, 07:52 PM
You had a much nicer sample to look at than appears to be the norm here in the U.S. I attempted to buy two of them and in each case had to take them back for being horrible in fit, finish, and function (I should actually say, no function). To the credit of the seller, Cabela's, they gave me a full refund for each of them. Neither would feed any ammo from the tube onto the carrier and if you pried one out of the tube, it came out crooked and would not feed into the chamber. Taking one apart it was apparent that the mag tube was not aligned with the receiver and the internal finish on each gun was very rough and had many, many burrs and tool marks on them. I called Turnbull's to see if they would rework the second gun for me as I really liked the look of the gun. They replied that they had received a couple to try to use for a basis to build one of their guns on and had the same problems. They wouldn't do the work (I was actually considering paying to have a new gun made to work....I don't know what I was thinking). The North American warranty service was done in a small shop in Kansas and the gunsmith lived in another state. Sending it in for warranty could have resulted in months of waiting and after speaking to the warranty gunsmith, there was no fix developed at that time to repair the gun. He stated that there was a manufacturing problem in Italy and he witnessed all of these guns being reworked before being packaged to ship. Enough for me, I contacted the seller and got my money back. I've heard of many more defective ones than good ones. I ended up buying a NIB Winchester/Miroku and took it to Turnbull and had it CCH, chamber reamed, and safety removed to bring it into the original design. It is flawless in form, finish, and function. It will shoot consistent five shot groups of 1.5-1.8" at a measured 114 yards. I've owned several Pedersoli Sharps replicas and they were flawless and very, very accurate. I was very disappointed in their attempt to produce this lever gun to such a substandard quality level. Perhaps they've corrected their manufacturing problems and brought this gun up to a higher level of quality.

TXGunNut
04-09-2015, 09:14 PM
I've fondled a couple 86/71's and like them very much. Wasn't aware they had function issues. I agree that it needs a tang sight, or at least my eyes do.
How long ago did you have your issues with the 86/71, NSB?

.45colt
04-09-2015, 10:58 PM
I don't have to defend Pedersoli, but I will say I have one I bought from Cabalas and handled it before I got it. I think they may have got in a rush with some of the rifles . Mine works, does everything I expect a fine lever gun to do and has a great trigger and free floating firing pin. there are several importers of these rifles . based on mine I would buy another.

NSB
04-10-2015, 12:42 AM
I've fondled a couple 86/71's and like them very much. Wasn't aware they had function issues. I agree that it needs a tang sight, or at least my eyes do.
How long ago did you have your issues with the 86/71, NSB?
Two years ago. I got one right after the other. I wanted one pretty bad and gave Pedersoli the benefit of the doubt on the first one. The second one was worse than the first. I'm not trying to bash Pedersoli, I'm just very dissatisfied with that one particular model. My other Pedersoli's were excellent.

T45LC
04-16-2015, 07:11 AM
I purchased my 86/71 Premium grade in March of this year, and posted my complaint about feeding which was caused by crud/goo which I thought was rust on the magazine tube plug/ causing same to stick in the tube. After a serious cleanout, function was smooth and flawless. The fit and finish, color case hardened receiver and grip cap, of this rifle is outstanding, as I compare it to the finish my Browning 1895 and Browning BLR. The receiver is factory tapped/drilled for Williams receiver sight or the Lyman 66WB which is for the 1886/Win/Browning rifle. The Bolt is also set up for the Bolt mounted Creedmore USA sight . After installing The Lyman 66WB which I had from an older rifle, I removed it because I like original clean look.

wrench man
04-17-2015, 01:04 AM
I picked one up about a month ago, the only issue it had was the trigger was pretty gritty!?, it came around, with a Oregon Trail 350grn rnfp and 15grns of Trail Boss we were able to whack pop cans at about 60yrds off hand with every shot, it shoots as good as it looks!
http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx190/ramblerinternational/guns/pedersoli1_zpslbjnozjg.jpg (http://s754.photobucket.com/user/ramblerinternational/media/guns/pedersoli1_zpslbjnozjg.jpg.html)