PDA

View Full Version : Howa old bolt recall experience

Nicholas
04-09-2015, 04:58 PM
I recently purchased a used Mossberg 1500 30-06 from a relative. In the process of researching the serial number I came across the Howa 2002 recall on the bolt. This recall affected rifles manufactured by Howa including rifles sold under other brand names. A phone number was included in the web page. The phone was answered on the second ring by Sports World, Inc. in Tulsa. I was told a postage/insurance paid kit would be sent to me at the end of the week. I received it at the end of the next week with a SFRB and full instructions. I mailed it out on the 23rd of March. Their receipt said they received it on the 28th, it was mailed April 1, and it was back in my mailbox on April 4th.

I want to compliment Legacy Sports and Sports World for this excellent service. I did not expect such a rapid response from a 13 year old recall.

If anyone has a bolt rifle made by Howa, a simple call to Sports World to check on the serial number will determine if the bolt​ has been corrected or needs to be sent in. The phone number that I called on the web page was 800-456-5131. Check the web page to see what serial ranges are affected. Sorry I don't have that address handy but a simple search will turn it up.

runfiverun
04-10-2015, 02:36 PM
wow that is attention to the customer.
under 2 week turn around from ship out to back in hand is outstanding.
and a second hand rifle to boot without a complaint or question that's standing behind your product.

GabbyM
04-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

I own a Weatherby vanguard from the 1970's. Love the rifle. It is a Howa 1500 action. so I checked it out.
They indeed have a safety recall. To prevent assembling the bolt incorrectly. Scroll down the page to Vanguard safety notice.
http://www.weatherby.com/support/safety-center.html

Weatherby, Inc. of Paso Robles, California, is performing a safety upgrade on all Vanguard® by Weatherby brand rifles manufactured between the years 1970 to 1993.

Nicholas
04-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Gabby, I am thankful that my thread brought this to your attention. Smith and Wesson also sold Howa made rifles that are in the recall.

Hardcast416taylor
04-11-2015, 04:09 PM
I also have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby cal. from that time era. For 1 reason or another I have never fired that rifle. Thanks for the "Heads - UP" about this recall.Robert

merlin101
04-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I've had my S&W 1500 for years and now find out about the recall, and sure enough it's gotta go back. Thanks again!