PDA

View Full Version : Mountain molds

charger 1
03-11-2008, 02:54 AM
I never woulda believed that for 90 some bucks I'd be shipped a custom mold that was made that well. I mean the steel inserts for alignment so they NEVER wear off center. Heavy sprue plate. Drops boolits like a breeze. This boys done his homework on mold making and tooling. From an ex tool maker, I'm envious. Yep would HIGHLY recommend

rvpilot76
03-11-2008, 03:09 AM
With the mention of steel alignment pin inserts, I would have to assume this was an aluminum mold?

charger 1
03-11-2008, 03:47 AM
With the mentin of steel alignment pin inserts, I would have to assume this was an aluminum mold?

yes sir

Glen
03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
charger -- Agreed. I've got several moulds that Dan made for me, and each one is exactly what I ordered, and casts ROUND bullets that drop from the blocks with ease. Oh yeah, and did I mention that they SHOOT? Another satisfied MM customer.

PS -- I'm partial to Dan's brass moulds....

Bass Ackward
03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
charger -- Agreed. I've got several moulds that Dan made for me, and each one is exactly what I ordered.

PS -- I'm partial to Dan's brass moulds....

Oh yea.

PatMarlin
03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
How bout his steel molds. Do they perform as well? Seem to me it would be a good idea to buy steel so they never wear out.

dubber123
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
How bout his steel molds. Do they perform as well? Seem to me it would be a good idea to buy steel so they never wear out.

I have one of his steel moulds, but I have had it quite a while now, and it sounds like his QC has improved. I can't give mine the rave reviews the others have, but it's a good mould, and shoots well.

Naphtali
03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
For people like me who are uncomfortable "creating" their own design with Mountain Molds' computer, does Mountain Molds maintain an archive of successful molds?

If Don does, how would I access the archive to choose one?

I understand I cannot send him a few samples of a bullet I want to cast and have him make the mold to cast it. I have a super-duper bullet -- a bucketful -- and I cannot identify maker or bullet mold, so far. Ballisti-Cast probably made the mold. But they will not be bothered responding to my buying queries -- which may say much about working with them.

475/480
03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
I just got 2 -MM Aluminum moulds that are very good ,a 2 cavity .512-435gr WFNGC and a
3 cavity .412-285gr WFNGC, both cast very round and purty boolits.

Sean

dubber123
03-12-2008, 03:22 PM
For people like me who are uncomfortable "creating" their own design with Mountain Molds' computer, does Mountain Molds maintain an archive of successful molds?

If Don does, how would I access the archive to choose one?

I understand I cannot send him a few samples of a bullet I want to cast and have him make the mold to cast it. I have a super-duper bullet -- a bucketful -- and I cannot identify maker or bullet mold, so far. Ballisti-Cast probably made the mold. But they will not be bothered responding to my buying queries -- which may say much about working with them.

I don't believe he keeps any design. It's pretty easy to use his program, (and I'm not too technically minded), so if you have a caliper, comparing what you have to whats on the screen should be pretty easy.

If this is for your new F/A, It will shoot almost anything REALLY well, just get the weight, diameter, Meplat size, and nose length close to your existing boolits and you will be fine.

Naphtali
03-12-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't believe he keeps any design. It's pretty easy to use his program, (and I'm not too technically minded), so if you have a caliper, comparing what you have to whats on the screen should be pretty easy.

If this is for your new F/A, It will shoot almost anything REALLY well, just get the weight, diameter, Meplat size, and nose length close to your existing boolits and you will be fine.It's for the .475 and .480s. I've queried about the bullet via a different thread, with graphics. Now that I've got my scale again, I'll get off the couch and weigh ten bullets, or so, to get an average weight. If I had to bet, I'd call the weight 420 grains.

Since I don't shoot anywhere close to maximum loads in these revolvers, I'm trying to use the most efficient bullet design consistent with plain base.

Would he make mold to sample bullet(s)? This takes all the grimness from the problem to solve.

dubber123
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
He may, but I've heard he only likes to work off customer supplied designs. This eliminates any ******** when the design doesn't shoot well. If the customer designed it, they hold all responsibility for a good or bad design.

I know Veral at LBT copied a boolit for me once, for my .475. He's not much more than Mountain moulds, for what it's worth.

A plain base 400 or 420ish LFN or WFN with a slightly shorter than .400" nose sized to your cylinder throats will likely outshoot 99.99% of all shooters, myself included. I have only 1 load of many tried in my F/A that I thought shot poorly, and that was a 440 gr. at very slow speeds, 800 fps. The twist is too slow. A 400 gr. shoots great at that low speed. You will probably be ecstatic with nearly any proper diameter, reasonable weight boolit in your gun.

cbrick
03-16-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm no computer geek but I'm not a complete computer idiot either. If only I could get his design program to draw the bullet I want I'd be a really happy camper.

I've played with his program for a couple of years now and haven't come up with anything yet that resembles a bullet much less what I want.

Oh well . . .

charger 1
03-16-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm no computer geek but I'm not a complete computer idiot either. If only I could get his design program to draw the bullet I want I'd be a really happy camper.

I've played with his program for a couple of years now and haven't come up with anything yet that resembles a bullet much less what I want.

Oh well . . .

Hey man we kinda make it a point of commin up for each other round here. I aint no puter geek neither but why dont ya send me yer numbers/specs and I'll see whay it'll draw. or send me yer ph# better still I'll give ya a call and we'll talk while yer lookin at the screen. Howabout that?....Cause its kind of a shame to see ya have to miss out on it

Andy_P
03-16-2008, 07:41 AM
MM is #1 in my books. I have two of his molds and more will follow. High quality and quick turnaround - modest price to boot.

The GB's here are great (I've been in on a few), but there's always a compromise. The best part of MM is that you can design your own unique bullet. It might fill a niche or it might just provide you with a satisfying experience in designing it, and a feeling of pride every time "your" bullet goes down range.

cbrick
03-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks charger 1,

I may take you up on that in the near future. Right now is not a good time for me to be buying moulds plus I'll have to either dig up the dimensions I wrote down or re-measure over again.

Rick

DLCTEX
03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Has anyone had experience with CBE in regards to custom molds pricing? I like their prices on production molds. DALE

Ron
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I have one of Jims (CBE) molds. It's a 125 grn 9mm 3 cavity in brass and it is about the best mold I have ever used. His prices are good to and his service is excellent. Apart from that he is just an all round good guy to deal with.

Cherokee
03-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Dale / Ron CBE ? - contact info please.