PDA

View Full Version : NOE 186gr collar button mold

06ackley
04-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Hey guys I ordered one of these new molds for my 45-70 and was wondering if anyone has load data or can point me in the right direction for load data.I have used the search menu but didn't find much.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

texassako
04-08-2015, 09:34 PM
I never found any current published data for the collar button, even though Lyman is making it again. The lightest bullet I could find in data was just under 300 gr. It is not much heavier(145 vs 186) than the roundballs I was shooting; so I am going to start out with the ~10 gr of Unique I was using with one.

dh2
04-09-2015, 12:27 AM
I have the Lyman collar button mold , I just sent them and E-mail asking for it and they E-mailed it to me.
Unique start load is 14.5gr for 1638fps to max of 17.5gr for 1907fps

.45colt
04-09-2015, 11:00 PM
06' what is the mould# from noe. I would like to order one also. Thank You. Jim.

06ackley
04-10-2015, 06:21 AM
The mold number is 460 186 cb. Thanks guys for the unique ideas.

smoked turkey
04-10-2015, 11:13 PM
I am glad I happened to find this thread. I really don't mean to get off topic but I think my question is fairly close to the topic of shooting a light lead boolit in a 45-70. I would like to work up a load using a .457 round ball which weighs at 145 gr as texassako said in above post #2. I have seen loading information for Unique (10 gr), Bullseye(5 gr), or Reddot (6 gr). I would like to use the lightest load I can safely shoot in my 47-70 with a 145 gr round ball. My question concerns whether or not using a small Dacron filler fluffed to fill the space between the powder and the boolit is recommended with any of those loads. I am hesitant to use a filler unless I know just how to arrange it in the case between the powder and the boolit. Thanks in advance for thoughts on this,

.45colt
04-11-2015, 04:27 PM
06, Thank You!!!

missionary5155
04-12-2015, 06:29 AM
Good morning Smoked turkey
None of us give you the absolute lightest load for your barrel due to all the unique differences involved.
But I use primarily Unique. Start at 7 grains. Load one round. Load another at 6.5 grains Unique. Load another at 6 grains. And so forth down to 4 grains. Depending on your barrel length, rifling, chamber size, ball fit at chamber and throat and lube that 4 grain load may just spit out and bounce about 25 yards away. I tilt the bullet nose up before inserting in the chamber. Seems to get a better burn. Or if you carry one round chambered tilt the barrel up a little before firing.
Mike in Peru

smoked turkey
04-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks Mike for the answer to my question. I do appreciate your response. I hope someday to have one of the collar button moulds. But for now I plan to use my .457 RB to test for accuracy, function, etc. I was looking for loading information regarding the proper use of a Dacron filler with the light loads in such a large case. There has been a lot written on the RB load in 45-70. There also has been quite a bit written on the use of fillers in general. One of the discrepancies I have run into concerns how the filler is applied. I have an old source that states to load 5 gr. of Bullseye, followed by two gr of Dacron fiber tamped down firmly. Then a wad with a spot of lube set by the RB as it is seated to approximately 1/2 the diameter of the RB. To my way of thinking this puts a lot of space between the top of the Dacron fiber and the bottom of the wad. I was led to believe that this was a no-no as it could contribute to ringing the barrel due to the air space. I also have read where the loader places a 3/4" square of single ply tissue over the powder to hold the powder directly over the primer. I just wanted to get some more input on the proper use of filler (if required at all) as it pertains to the greatly reduced load of fast powder and a light projectile such as the RB or collar button. Meanwhile I will proceed with your recommendation of 6 gr of Unique to start and carefully drop it some to see what happens to accuracy and function in general.Thanks again Mike for your thoughtful posts. I always enjoy your responses to the various threads. Keep up the good work you are doing on the mission field.

Well here it is about 3 hours later from the above post. I wanted to add to the above comments the results of a quick shooting session with the 145 gr RB. I prepared three rounds as a trial load of 6.5 gr/Unique/45 cal card wad with small ring of Ben's Red directly under the RB. I seated the RB 2/3 in the case with an OA length of 2.2475". This RB was some I have on hand for my Ruger Old Army. I bumped them from .457 to.458 for this test. I believe a .459 might work some better but I have to say at 40 yards the load shot to point of aim more or less with a 2" group about 2" above the bullseye. Unique powder is know for being somewhat dirty and this load didn't disappoint. I know that some of that is due to the low pressure and ineffective burn at these pressures. Of course this was just a quick test but initial results are that this load makes using your 45-70 off season for small game a fun and worth while exercise. I believe the substitution of a collar button boolit would give even better results.

phaessler
04-15-2015, 05:21 PM

as published by Lyman

Pete

smoked turkey
04-16-2015, 01:02 AM
thank you phaessler for the loading chart. That is exactly what I needed to see. I am surprised at the information as I would have thought the idea of the "collar button" boolit would be for a "squib" load. Those loads have the little collar button boolit truckin right along don't they?