PDA

View Full Version : Redhawk Overpower Mainsprings Available

Mal Paso
04-08-2015, 06:59 PM
I have been acutely aware of light primer strike issues in the Ruger Redhawk. For years only reduced power springs were available which makes the problem worse.

Today I finally found overpower springs: http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=50

Here is their take on Redhawk issues http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news.html Scroll down to Dec 11, 2011

Pardon me if you already saw this. I've looked on Brownells and other places for years.

tja6435
04-08-2015, 07:35 PM
I kept checking Wolff hoping for some Xtra power Redhawk springs, thanks for the info. I'll be ordering a set for my Redhawk. I get occasional light strikes/failure to fire when target shooting in double action while squeezing the trigger super slowly

Mal Paso
04-08-2015, 07:49 PM
I just ordered a set. $19.95 + $8 shipping.

Wish there was an aftermarket trigger group. You can't even buy factory hammers and triggers.

ole 5 hole group
04-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Maybe his lengthen pin would be a better solution. A couple years ago I went to Bowen's extra strength power springs, thinking faster lock time - well, everything turned heavy - single & double action, so I went back to the original spring.

Another problem might be the transfer bar as it may develop a divot where it contacts the firing pin and this divot will eventually begin to lighten the blow delivered by the hammer. You can purchase a new transfer bar and replace that yourself.

I don't have a problem with my Redhawks ignition, but if I did, I'll go with the lengthen pin and stay away from Bowen's extra strength hammer springs unless you really like a heavy trigger pull. Installing the firing pin could get a little difficult????

44man
04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
RH is the toughest gun to work. One spring for trigger and hammer. Might be the worst Ruger ever made. Even the grip is wrong.

ole 5 hole group
04-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I've heard of some Redhawks being a shooters dream using a 14# spring and having an extended firing pin installed.

I read years ago where Ruger would even replace the standard firing pin for a longer one. Don't know if that was true but one could check it out with Ruger, as their firing pin is on the short side to eliminate pierced primers with high pressure loads.

A lot of guys switch to Federal primers for that reason and when a Federal doesn't fire - you know you have a problem.

Mal Paso
04-09-2015, 02:30 PM
RH is the toughest gun to work. One spring for trigger and hammer. Might be the worst Ruger ever made. Even the grip is wrong.

The factory grip makes the pull too short for my hand. I switched to the Pachmayr Decelerator which adds to the thickness of the backstrap. Still the most difficult trigger I own.

My first Redhawk improvement was to install the correct length trigger pivot pin. The one installed at the factory was only long enough to support one side and the trigger hung crooked. I've been through transfer bar length, pin protrusion, burrs removed and I had a single FTF 3 weeks ago. It was CCI primed with my old RCBS hand held but they should all fire darn it and it's as smooth as it will ever get.

I already ordered the springs. If they don't work out, I'm supporting a great shop. The Rough Country rear S&W iron sight they make is awesome. Old fart/eyes.

Thanks for the input