PDA

View Full Version : Beagling?

S.B.
03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Would appreciate someone explaining how to do this with a mold. Is this only nessisary with aluminum molds? I've never ran into any size problems with the lyman molds I own.

Nueces
03-10-2008, 11:53 PM
A good place to start would be to click on the Castpics link near the bottom of this page, then select "Articles by Members", then "Bullet Diameter Enlargement", by John Goins, aka beagle. It's on the left, about 40% down.

Make sure you clear a block of time for all the other articles there. :-D

Mark

S.B.
03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
One more question, how did he hold the brass shim stock in place? Since I cannot find his name in the members list to ask him directly?

Scrounger
03-11-2008, 09:49 AM
One more question, how did he hold the brass shim stock in place? Since I cannot find his name in the members list to ask him directly?

You're right, for some unknown reason, Beagle is not listed on the Member's List. But the article is located as described above. Reading it will give you all the information you need.

Click on: http://www.castpics.net/
Click on: Articles By Members in list on left side of page
Click on: Bullet Diameter Enlargement on list of Articles that appear.

Once again, can someone explain why it can't be set up so we can link directly to the articles instead of having a cumbersome set of directions for new people?

Short answer: He uses a very thin metal tape (no brass shim) used to wrap seams in the ducting of heating systems. "Flue tape" is also workable. Most hardware stores will have it.

sundog
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I've used both the aluminium duct tape and flue tape. The 600dF rated flue tape works MUCH better.

Oh, and as to why do it? Example: 314299 not large enough for rather generous Enfield and Arisaka bores. With flue tape, my 314299 beagled up to .317x.305+, ever so slightly out of round, by much better than being too small. Thru a lapped out .314 sizer it came out almost round at .3165, hence a usable boolit.

S.B.
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
You're right, for some unknown reason, Beagle is not listed on the Member's List. But the article is located as described above. Reading it will give you all the information you need.

Click on: http://www.castpics.net/
Click on: Articles By Members in list on left side of page
Click on: Bullet Diameter Enlargement on list of Articles that appear.

Once again, can someone explain why it can't be set up so we can link directly to the articles instead of having a cumbersome set of directions for new people?

Short answer: He uses a very thin metal tape (no brass shim) used to wrap seams in the ducting of heating systems. "Flue tape" is also workable. Most hardware stores will have it.

On the Lyman 358429 mold near the bottom of article, he shows a mold with brass shims in place?

Does the flue tape come in different thickness' or does the aluminum wrap tape? Or do you just pile it up if more is needed?
Thanks, Steve

45nut
03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=Articles

Member Articles link from the homepage, and beagle is on the memberlist on page 3 of the "b's"

:coffeecom:

sundog
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
The more layers you add, the more out of round the boolit will get until finning begins, then you have an unusable boolit. At that point, you simply need a larger cavity. From experience one layer is about max. Sometimes you can get a way with one layer on each block. The tape is all pretty much a standard thickness.

45nut
03-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Somewhere I read Richard Lee used his liquid alox to glue cigarette papers on molds to enlarge them as he desired, I would imagine he saw someone else doing it previously....

Lefty
03-22-2008, 11:21 AM
After reading this thread yesterday, I "beagled" my first mold. It added between .002 and .003 so it did not make the mold significantly more oblong. I will get a chance to try the new bullets soon. We got 10" of snow last night so I probably will not go to the range today.

S.B.
03-22-2008, 11:35 AM
It added between .002 and .003 so it did not make today.

Not trying to be a smart a** but, how do you measure this? Micrometer?

Cloudpeak
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
J-B Weld will hold shims in place. I used .004" pop can shims on a 45 cal Lee 6 cavity mold and they never "un-stuck".

Cloudpeak

fourarmed
03-25-2008, 11:56 AM
I took some measurements this morning of boolits cast from my new SAECO 7mm mold. The alloy is WW+10%Lino (by volume), water dropped. Following are nose major diameters (i.e. perpendicular to mold faces):
Mold as cut: 0.276"
Beagled with Al duct tape: 0.277"
Beagled with Al flue tape: 0.279"