PDA

View Full Version : Broken 1911 ejector

Cmm_3940
04-08-2015, 12:58 AM
I stripped one of my Les Baer 1911's tonight to clean it and got an unpleasant surprise. The ejector fell out when I removed the slide.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/cm6259/DSCN0233.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd195/cm6259/DSCN0235.jpg

I've never had this happen to me before. Is there anything I should know before replacing it? Any brand/style of replacement part that anyone recommends?

-Chris

DougGuy
04-08-2015, 01:12 AM
You might want to contact Baer? As far as function, as long as the nose of the new ejector is the same length and angled the same way, it will work the same. They ARE caliber specific so be sure you get the correct one.

Usually there is a tiny pin that goes through the frame and one leg of the ejector, which looks like what is still holding in the broken leg, you will have to knock this pin out to remove the broken piece, and the new ejector will need to be drilled through this hole and the pin knocked back in to secure it.

Cmm_3940
04-08-2015, 01:40 AM
I pushed the pin out. The broken leg remains stuck in the frame, with no way to grip it to pull it out. I can probably deal with removing the broken stub, but I don't like the idea of drilling that tiny hole to fit a replacement ejector. I've sent Baer an email with my photos, so I'll wait to see what they have to say.

-Chris

1johnlb
04-08-2015, 03:20 AM
I was able to pull the broken leg out with a strong magnet, from my 1911. It was also very easy to drill just make sure you have the proper size bit.

pietro
04-08-2015, 05:59 AM

Would you please give us feedback, on Baer's response ?

Murphy
04-08-2015, 07:17 AM
That is indeed an oddity and the first time I've ever seen or heard of such happening to a higher end 1911.

Like Pietro, I would like to seem what type of reponse you recieve from Baers.

Murphy

Rebel Dave
04-08-2015, 10:28 AM
I had that happen to my Taurus 1911. I could not get the broken stubb out, so I sent it back to Tarurus, and they sent me a brand new pistol. Good luck on yours.

Rebel Dave

Cmm_3940
04-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Baer said I need to pack it up and send it to them for repair. No mention was made of cost. So, assuming NO charge for the repair, I'm looking looking at about the cost of a new part in shipping and the loss of use of my gun for however long it takes.

ole 5 hole group
04-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Whether the work is free of charge or there's a bill included in the return pistol, I think it's the right thing to do - sending it back to Baer for repair. They will do it right.

I've got a couple PII's with the 1.5 option - no breakage what-so-ever and I'm over 12K rounds with each pistol. I've sent one back for a barrel bushing, as I wanted the bushing fit to maintain the 1.5 option and it held 1.2

I got a bill for the bushing and ammo expended - can't remember the charge but it wasn't inexpensive but no complaining from me - just a little grumbling.:-o

Cmm_3940
04-08-2015, 04:47 PM
It got shipped to Baer this afternoon.

MtGun44
04-09-2015, 01:58 AM
Very rare failure for a 1911. I have never actually seen one after
over 33 years of observing and shooting in hundreds of IPSC matches
with MANY, MANY 1911s on the line.

osteodoc08
04-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Not to start a war, but with the grain pattern of the retained plug/pin as seen in the frame, is this a MIM part by chance?

Mk42gunner
04-09-2015, 05:49 PM
I've seen a couple from back when we still had 1911A1's on board ship. The easiest to fix also had the hole for the front leg drilled into the magazine well, making it simple to get the broken piece out.

If you can't get to the bottom of that leg to drive it out, it rapidly becomes a PITA.

Robert

Boogieman
04-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Drill & tap the broken ejector leg put a screw in it & pull it out. When installing the new ejector , first put it in place ,mark the leg through the retaining pin hole. remove the ejector & file a notch for the retaining pin. DO NOT try to drill through the hole. the drill will walk off the ejector leg & damage the hole in the frame

Thin Man
04-12-2015, 07:33 AM
+1 on what Boogieman (above) stated, with one slight addition. If you have correctly marked the position for the retaining pin, file your retaining notch ever so slightly above (toward the top of the frame) your mark. What this will do for you is insure that the ejector is held down completely tight with the top of the frame and avoid it becoming loose, also avoid unintended contact with the slide groove and causing dragging, battering and later damage to both the slide and ejector.

Boogieman
04-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Some mfgs use locktite with out the retaining pin but I don't trust that, JMB thought it was needed. I have used it to tighten a loose ejector, with the pin.

Cmm_3940
05-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with turnaround times for Baer? They received my gun on 4/10, and I've received no response to two requests for a status update, via phone and email. They did acknowledge receiving it when I spoke to them, but the person I spoke to said she'd have to find out what's going on and call back (never did). I realize these things take time and don't want to pester them too much, but it would be nice to have some idea what to expect.

-Chris

nicholst55
05-04-2015, 06:12 PM
I saw a couple of broken ejectors during my time in the Army - usually on pistols that had been shot a lot. Sometimes they were easy to replace, other times not so much.

BD
05-04-2015, 07:09 PM
I've seen a few broken ejectors, but in all cases it was the "nose" that broke off. Broke two myself on Tripp mags when they first came out. Never seen a leg break on one. I removed all them by closing the injector in the vise and pulling the frame off of it, so I never had to deal with getting the stub of a leg out of the frame. This case is probably just one of those very rare flaws in the steel, something that LB should take care of for you.

ole 5 hole group
05-05-2015, 11:54 AM
I don't remember exactly now, but I'm thinking 5 weeks from the time I sent mine in. Calling for an update didn't do me any good either.

osteodoc08
05-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Quite disappointing to hear they can't even return a phone call or request to find out about a repair. How many repairs do they have going on that they can't get this back to you in a few weeks? I guess they have their money from this unit already so "it can wait a bit".

Ive had revolvers back to Smith and Ruger with turn around times of 2 weeks for both and questions answered same day I called. You'd think a more personal outfit like LB could at least match the CS of the larger groups.

Cmm_3940
06-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Here's an update for anyone that is still interested... I finally got it back! FedEx dropped it off on Monday. In addition to replacing the broken ejector, Baer Custom installed a new 21lb mainspring, recoil guide rod, and plunger tube. These were listed as 'upgrades'. :confused:

There was no charge.

Now that summer is almost here, I hope I can find some time soon to reaquaint myself with my favorite 1911.

-Chris

Moonie
06-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Here's an update for anyone that is still interested... I finally got it back! FedEx dropped it off on Monday. In addition to replacing the broken ejector, Baer Custom installed a new 12lb mainspring, recoil guide rod, and plunger tube. These were listed as 'upgrades'. :confused:

There was no charge.

Now that summer is almost here, I hope I can find some time soon to reaquaint myself with my favorite 1911.

-Chris

Wow, factory mainspring is 23lbs. Lightest one Wolff has is 15lb. Why would you need a 12lb one?

Boogieman
06-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Here's an update for anyone that is still interested... I finally got it back! FedEx dropped it off on Monday. In addition to replacing the broken ejector, Baer Custom installed a new 12lb mainspring, recoil guide rod, and plunger tube. These were listed as 'upgrades'. :confused:

There was no charge.

-Chris.
Did they install a
12lb main spring or a 12lb recoil spring? I've never heard of a 12lb. main spring . If it was the recoil spring, the one around the guide rod,& you shoot any thing but LIGHT loads you can look forward to another broken ejector. Standard loads should have a 16lb spring & +P loads a 18.5 lb.

Artful
06-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Main spring is what drives the hammer -
http://m1911.org/images/parts.jpg

And 12# seems very light
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3415112146/wolff-mainspring-1911-government-commander
Factory Colt springs are 23 pounds, Midway is offering 15# to 34#.

jakharath
06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Maybe they did it to improve trigger pull? I run 18# mainsprings in mine.

gray wolf
06-17-2015, 04:15 PM
12# main spring is unrealistic and I doubt they would do that when a standard is 23#

A 12# recoil spring was supplied with some Colt Gold cups for very reduced loads. ( very reduced)
Like 3.5 of B/E powder.

I would not use a 12# recoil spring with anything close to ball ammo, good chance you will batter the frame.

Cmm_3940
06-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Typo. 21lb. main spring. Fix'd it. :oops:

It's a commander length bbl. I'm running an 18lb. recoil spring. The stock recoil spring is hernia-inducing and fingerpad-stripping. It feels like about 30lb., although I'm sure it isn't actually quite that heavy.

-Chris

Mk42gunner
06-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Funny how a simple typo can get people fired up, isn't it?

Before everyone decides to lynch me, I too thought 12 lbs was awful light, no matter if it was the main or recoil spring; but I figured enough other people had pointed it out...

Glad you got your gun back, fixed.

Robert