PDA

View Full Version : ATF Substitution in Bens Red?

igolfat8
04-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I made a small batch of Ben's Red today. I had all ingredients on hand except ATF? I substituted DuraLube Transmission "treatment". Hey, it WAS red ;) Any guesses what will happen? I know, shoot it and find out...

runfiverun
04-08-2015, 09:32 AM
your clutches will have a higher friction coefficient.
and your boolit will shift a little firmer.

Ben
04-08-2015, 01:58 PM
igolfat8 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33871-igolfat8)

Where do you live that Automatic Tran. fluid ISN'T available to you ?

Ben

igolfat8
04-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Under a rock. ... Well I was just mixing with ingredients that I had on hand. I picked up a qt. of ATF today so I will be all set for it on the next batch.

Yodogsandman
04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
And your boolit will shift a little firmer.

lol!!!

GrayTech
04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
I could not find the recommended Dexron ATF here in Canada, so I had to use an ATF which says its a Dexron substitute. Its worked ok so far.
Also no Johnson's Paste Wax available in Canada... is it that dangerous? hahahaha
I assume the JPW is used for the carnauba content? Maybe Ben could confirm this.

runfiverun
04-11-2015, 09:20 PM
yes..
it also has some paraffin wax in it which modify's the melt of the lube under pressure/friction.

Ben
04-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Ditto !

Ben

sawzall
04-12-2015, 12:33 AM
I could not find the recommended Dexron ATF here in Canada, so I had to use an ATF which says its a Dexron substitute. Its worked ok so far.
Also no Johnson's Paste Wax available in Canada... is it that dangerous? hahahaha
I assume the JPW is used for the carnauba content? Maybe Ben could confirm this.

I use Minwax paste wax anywhere JPW is called for and seems to be a perfect substitute. It's around $13 for a can at Home Hardware.

GrayTech
04-14-2015, 01:09 AM
I use Minwax paste wax anywhere JPW is called for and seems to be a perfect substitute. It's around $13 for a can at Home Hardware.
Thanks for the tip sawzall. Much appreciated!

GrayTech
04-14-2015, 01:15 AM
yes..
it also has some paraffin wax in it which modify's the melt of the lube under pressure/friction.
Thanks run5run, now if I only knew what percentage of each!

frnkeore
04-14-2015, 01:19 PM
and your boolit will shift a little firmer.

I don't know about the additives but, in the mid to late 60's, Ford came out with idea to add a friction element to ATF, to get longer life out of the clutches of there automatic transmissions. I was a Automatic Transmision Mechanic at the time.

I've never known what they added to increase the friction, but it was a success in the transmisions. Does anyone know what this additive is?

Frank