PDA

View Full Version : Not Critical, But I Need Advice On Slow Velocity In The 44 Magnum...

BCB
04-07-2015, 02:36 PM
I got into the frame of mind of shooting round nose boolits from my 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt…

It is something I never tried in all of my years of reloading and past dozen years of casting…

The boolits are all Lee and they are 358-15-1R, 429-240-2R, and the 452-228-1R…

The boolits I am shooting in the 357 and the 45 Colt do well with fast burners and lower velocities. Both are open sights and I am hitting a life-sized crow silhouette at 35 yards with no problems..

The 44 Magnum is the problem child or at least in my mind it is…

It is a ‘scoped Super Redhawk and I am getting about 2.5-inch groups at 25-30 yards. I’m pushing them at 750-815 fps depending on powders…

I believe the twist in the Redhawk is 1:20…

I wonder if speeding the boolit up a bit might help. I don’t reckon I can go much slower!...

I sure would like to stay under 1000 fps but probably less than 900 fps would be better. I want these loads just to shoot at life-sized crow and squirrel steel at 30-40-50 yards—no long range stuff…

Any thoughts on velocity at that 1-20 twist that might help tighten groups a bit…

This particular SRH will put a cylinder-full of 429650’s (320 grains) using 20 grains of H-110 into about 1 hole at 25 yards. It will mostly stay at or a bit better than 2” at 100 years. It seems the velocity (1297 fps) might be the thing for better accuracy with the 1:20 twist?...

Thanks…BCB

Outpost75
04-07-2015, 02:57 PM
My recreational load in both the .44-40 and .44 Magnum revolvers is 7.2 grains of Alliant Bullseye, as metered with the rotor #13 with the RCBS Little Dandy powder measure. This approximates the velocity and energy of .44-40 or .45 Colt black powder loads, being pleasant, accurate to 100 yards out of both rifle and revolver and are effective on deer, penetrating through and through on raking shots leaving a thumb-sized exit. Gelatin penetration is 36-39". 8 BHN and softer alloy will rivet and expand somewhat at these velocities if the bullet has a meplat larger than 0.6 of bullet diameter.

With the high cost of powder these days, getting 970 rounds from a pound of powder is attractive.

I use soft 1:30 tin/lead alloy or 50-50 wheelweights and plumber's lead because nothing harder is needed at these velocities.

Velocity with 200-grain lead flatnosed Cowboy bullets is 1200 fps from my Marlin 1894S with 20" barrel and 970 fps from my 5-1/2" Ruger Vaquero.

Substituting 200-grain Hornady XTP jacketed bullets with the same charge gets 1140 fps from the Marlin and 910 fps from the 5-1/2" revolver.

My favorite bullet is the Accurate 43-230G, which with 7.2 grains of Bullseye gets 1197 fps from my Marlin and 992 fps from my 5-1/2" Vaquero. Flat shooting and accurate!

If you prefer a heavier bullet, the Saeco #441 260-grain Keith style also shoots very well with 7.2 grains of Bullseye, giving 1178 fps from the Marlin with 20" barrel and 967 fps from the 5-1/2" Ruger revolver.

This is equivalent to a full charge .45 Colt load. Anything heavier is very seldom needed. K.I.S.S. principle.

44man
04-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Step it up a little bit, the 240 is OK with lighter loads but still needs RPMs for stability.
Actually I get great accuracy with just 7 gr of Unique, up to 10 but I am contrary as all get out and cut groups by 2/3" with very hard, 28 to 30 BHN boolits. Fit first.

dubber123
04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
You could fiddle with a bit, and then I would try a different boolit. I have no experience with that particular LEE, but I have shot a good bit of Lymans 429383, a 250 gr. RN, and at 800 fps. it shot inside an inch at 25 yds. from my 4" 629. Have fun.

kweidner
04-08-2015, 06:58 PM
I like trailboss....if you can find it.

birddog
04-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Trailboss all the way
Charlie

Thumbcocker
04-08-2015, 09:07 PM
6.5 red dot, 6.0 bulls eye, 6.0 231 have all shot well with a Keith boolit for me. Favorite is 6.5 red dot.

rintinglen
04-08-2015, 10:17 PM
I like 8.5 grains of Unique with a 429-383. From my scoped SBH Hunter, I get groups bordering on 1 inch at 25 yards. My Redhawk has iron sights, and except in broad daylight, I have trouble with the front sight getting blurry, so I can't compare apples to apples.

Lloyd Smale
04-09-2015, 06:21 AM
I agree. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD GUN toss away those wives tales of soft lead bumping up and cast them harder the better, use a good lube and make sure there sized for your gun and they will probably shoot as good as there going to at any velocity
Step it up a little bit, the 240 is OK with lighter loads but still needs RPMs for stability.
Actually I get great accuracy with just 7 gr of Unique, up to 10 but I am contrary as all get out and cut groups by 2/3" with very hard, 28 to 30 BHN boolits. Fit first.

Billwnr
04-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Here's my load out of a Super Redhawk that shoots 1-1.25" at 25 yards. It's 9.0 grains of Win 473AA and a wheelweight 429421 sized to .429. Velocity was 942 fps for the loads I ran over a chronograph. I believe WST or one of the newer Winchester powders would give the same results. I originally started with Win 452AA until I shot it all up. When the 473 is gone I'll switch to one of the newer Winchester shotgun powders.

I believe this load would shoot even smaller off the bench at 25 yards if I hadn't picked up a small shake in my hands over the years. Hard thing is figuring out how to grip the gun. A hard grip and then relaxing it seems to remove most of the shakes.

Shuz
04-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I suggest you try 8.0 to 8.6g of Green Dot with your 240g RN. Velocity will be around 1000 fps depending on individual revolvers.
Green Dot is a bit easier to find in these days of poor powder availability.

44MAG#1
04-11-2015, 01:59 PM
It would seem to me that the OP would do some testing and then he would know. Or am I wrong in that assumption?
That is what I would do but, I am not to savvy knowledge wise.

BCB
04-12-2015, 06:20 PM
It would seem to me that the OP would do some testing and then he would know. Or am I wrong in that assumption?
That is what I would do but, I am not to savvy knowledge wise.

The OP be ME...

I did do plenty of testing and I was getting mediocre results, at least to my standards...

I posted 'cause I wished to draw some comments from many on this site who have reloaded cast longer than me...

I thought maybe someone might have been using the same boolit and a Super Redhawk and they might know what I am dealing with...

To date, I have tried 16 different powder/weight combos with limited success...

As noted in my first post, I have no trouble with the heavies and heavy charges of slow powders. Accuracy is more than acceptable with 200 yard hits on a life-sized groundhog silhouette most common. That's good enough for me...

But, this SRH simply doesn't seem to want to shoot light-weights at slower velocities. Might just be the nature of the beast. Or the nature of the way my boolits are cast. Or the nature of the cylinder sizes. Or the nature of whatever...

Some of my recent recipes are getting me around 2" at 50 yards so maybe that is good enough for a plinker? I was hoping for better though...

So goes the cast boolit challenge at times...

(But then, I was shooting a T/C Contender Super 14, caliber 7-30 Waters, today with a caseful of 5010-PD (35+ grains) and a 287346 at ~1356 fps and it is keeping them under 1" at 100 yards consistently. Go figure such an odd load would do that--plenty of unburnt "logs" still in the barrel though!)

And so it goes...

BCB

44MAG#1
04-12-2015, 06:34 PM
To date, I have tried 16 different powder/weight combos with limited success...
BCB

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but maybe you have your answer and didn't realize it.

BCB
04-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but maybe you have your answer and didn't realize it.

Well as long as you “hate being the bearer of bad news”, I guess I can accept that I didn’t realize there is no hope for my Super Redhawk…

But, I’ve been down enough roads in my life to realize that not all goes as planned and I doubt I will lose much sleep over it tonight…

I still have my other handguns to console my feelings…

Thanks and I appreciate your advice and your concerns…

BCB

44man
04-13-2015, 10:58 AM
It comes down to twist rates, forgotten by revolver shooters. You just need the velocity the boolit wants so it spins right. Under spinning is the very worst.

dubber123
04-13-2015, 05:18 PM
A friend did use that particular boolit in one of his Rugers for a while, and never got better than 2" groups at 25 yds., (iron sight). I blamed him, but maybe not. I would still try a different boolit.

BCB
04-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Well so much for the Ruger Super Redhawk and the Lee 429-240-2R…

Twenty-two different load combos tried…

The one thread (#13) indicating that I had tried “16” powders was interpreted wrongly…

I have actually used 8 different powders for a total of 23 different loads—Still one hell of an attempt to get the 429-240-2R to shoot to my standards!!!...

I did get 3 powders to shoot the boolits into about 1.5” at 25 yards with pretty good consistency. That being 6.5 grains of Train Boss (817 fps), 8 grains of Unique (966 fps), 8.5 grains of Green Dot (1050 fps). It appears the velocity really doesn’t mean much at all. That is a pretty good spread of fps…

As I mentioned in my OP thread, 358-15-1R, 429-240-2R, and the 452-228-1R boolits are of similar design. The 45 Colt and the 357 Magnum shoot them well—both are Rugers as is the 44 Magnum…

As mentioned in posts #12 and #14, encouragement was not great—at least by one…

So I wondered if maybe it was the bearing surface of the boolit to the caliber diameter. This I checked also—don’t ask me why, as I am going to accept the ≤1.5” groups at 25 yards as acceptable for this particular handgun and the Lee 429-240-2R…

When I took the bearing surface of the each boolit and divided it by the caliber of the boolit I got rations of: 358-150-2R=.963……429-240-2R=.804……452-228-1R=.707……429650=1.47. And just for a comparison the 287346=1.71. The 429650 is the most accurate cast boolit I shoot from the SRH. Two-inch groups are common at 100 yards…

It would seem the greater the number the potential for better the accuracy, but this is not true when it comes to the 429-240-2R as can be seen…

Oh well, dubber123 (post #17) said it also. dubber123, your buddy actually was probably doing pretty dang good with 2” at 25 yards using open sights. I am using a ‘scope and I am getting in the ballpark of 1.25” with only 3 different loads…

Could just be the nature of the beast when it comes to a 1:20 twist and a 240 (actual 250) grain round nose boolit…

But as I think about it, none of the lighter, approximately 240 grain—checked or not, shoot with the greatest of accuracy from this Super Redhawk…

And so it goes…

BCB

44MAG#1
04-14-2015, 05:16 PM
"The one thread (#13) indicating that I had tried “16” powders was interpreted wrongly…"

I did not interpret anything. I just posted your comment. With that comment saying volumes.
Still one testing their gun with their loads would seem to be the way to go.
Sorry if I upset you.

BCB
04-14-2015, 05:34 PM
"The one thread (#13) indicating that I had tried “16” powders was interpreted wrongly…"

I did not interpret anything. I just posted your comment. With that comment saying volumes.
Sorry if I upset you.

No problem at all…

But if you, “hate being the bearer of bad news”, then you really shouldn’t post and be “the bearer of bad news”. Or at least insinuate you know the true end and final results of the inaccuracy of the Super Redhawk...

Gee, those posts send mixed messages as to one’s knowledge of such situations…

But hey, I read all post and listen and respect all. Some less than others of course…

Thanks again…BCB

Forrest r
04-14-2015, 05:45 PM
IMHO slow loads in the 44mags tend to do better with fast burning powders like bullseye and clays. Did a test last year using 10+ powders and 7 different bullets looking for 1" to 1 1/2" @ 25yd plinking loads. It seemed that 6.0g to 6.5g of clays paired with any bullet I tried got me there. Bullseye and american select did pretty well also. Light loads with unique, universal clays & hp-38 were a waste of good powder.

Some of the test targets I saved that were 1" to 1 1/2" groups @ 25yds/light plinking loads.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/629accuracytargets_zpsd0fd3149.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/629accuracytargets_zpsd0fd3149.jpg.html)

Didn't matter if I used the 200g hp or the 220g swc version of the saeco #142, they kept on going where the 629 pointed.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/142s_zpsf73eb48e.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/142s_zpsf73eb48e.jpg.html)

Another "Thompson" style bullet body, the 200g 429303

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/429303_zpsdc534574.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/429303_zpsdc534574.jpg.html)

200g h&h wc's hold their own.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/200gwcs_zps072309fe.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/200gwcs_zps072309fe.jpg.html)

The Mihec "503" clone, sighted the scope on the 629 in on the right target. Shot 3 shots & moved the bullet to the right and shot 3 more. Liked where they were hitting so I shot the left target to test the load/bullet combo.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/503clone_zpsf918354e.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/503clone_zpsf918354e.jpg.html)

You might consider trying clays or claydot or another fast burning powder. I had no problem finding 15 different loads with 7 bullets and 3 fast burning powders (the slowest being clays).

Good luck

BCB
04-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Forrest r…

Pretty dang nice groups. Maybe them there Smiths will outshoot the Rugers?!!!...

I have tried Bullseye and I got fair accuracy. But not as good as any of the groups you show with the fast burners you list…

And when I give this more consideration, is a Super Redhawk 10-incher with a 2x-7x Burris ‘scope on it really a candidate for a handgun to casually “plink” with?...

I have some other 240 grainers and I might try some reduced loads with them also. But I doubt with the enthusiasm of the Lee round nose slugs…

I went for that “old-fashioned” look with round nose boolits for my 357 Magnum and my 45 Colt and all worked pretty well. It appears the 44 Magnum may have different thoughts on old heritage!!!...

But, being retired, I have a few extra minutes to try other things. Or at least, that is what I am told!!!...

Thanks all…BCB

44MAG#1
04-15-2015, 07:59 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3216306#post3216306)

Sorry if I upset you.

No problem at all…

But if you, “hate being the bearer of bad news”, then you really shouldn’t post and be “the bearer of bad news”. Or at least insinuate you know the true end and final results of the inaccuracy of the Super Redhawk...

SOMETIMES BAD NEWS IS NEEDED TO WAKE UP AN INDIVIDUAL. I DID NOT INSINUATE I KNOW THE FINAL RESULTS OF ANYTHING. I AM NOT A SOOTHSAYER OR A MEDIUM?

MIXED MESSAGES ???????? ONE CAN ONLY GO BY WHAT YOU POST.

But hey, I read all post and listen and respect all. Some less than others of course…

GLAD YOU DO.

Thanks again…BCB

44man
04-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Actually that boolit should shoot but remember it is a PB with a narrow base band. Even a light load of any fast powder will peak pressure very fast and it can be wrong to look at overall pressure.
I would harden to see.
The SRH is one of the best but I don't like the Burris scope, I have the same one and ruined the tube with heavier loads in the .44. Even 3 rings and rosin on them let the scope slip until I ruined it. The tube on mine is dead soft. Looks like a pipe wrench was used. I have the old one that is so very big and heavy it does not want to come back with the guns.
The 1 in 20 is right at home with 240-250 gr boolits, My best bullet was the 240 XTP, doing 1/2" at 50 with the SRH but it NEEDED 24 gr of 296. But I use the Fed 150 primers only. Very important and even more so with fast powders so don't use a mag primer for any light loads. They triple groups with 296. They will cause Unique, 231, etc, to reach peak before the boolit moves much and boolits can skid or the base expand so much it tries to exit the gap. Bump up or bump out? They also change airspace because the primer pressure will push out boolits before proper ignition with slow powders.
Between all my IHMSA shooter friends and hunting friends, we have not used a mag primer since 1980 in the .44's.
BCB has not said what primer he uses. Slippery lube will let a boolit move too fast too. Lube must have BITE on brass! Contradicts the word LUBE but it is true. Lube is not to make a boolit slippery.
Revolvers are strange animals and I don't think anyone has tested more stuff then I have or shot as small groups as I have, many reaching 1/2" at 100 yards. Back in the day, my SRH would hit pop cans at 200 yards with the 240 XTP. Super gun ranking right up with a S&W 29 but easier to control the grip hold. Hold the SRH FIRM only. S&W needs a custom grip. Don't wimp the SRH and let it run free. Put the muzzle on a bag and the grip on a firm bag. The rear bag must have the same tension from the grip. Forget the frame rests, etc.
I do sight for hunting from bags since I found I was the problem off hand from loss of control. I hit the same now off hand as I do from bags. My best example are three shots off hand at 100 yards with my .44. Yes 3/4" for the three. 136962

BCRider
04-15-2015, 01:30 PM
BCB, have you slugged the bore and used the slug to feel for any barrel thread constriction where it passes through the frame extension?

Both my .44Mag guns are Rugers, one SBH and a SR. I have not checked the SR yet but after trying for some good accurate loads I found that I could not do that well. I slugged the bore and found that there is a noticeable pinch as the slug passed the threaded area.

Looking around I found lots of stories linking this restriction to poor accuracy. And I wonder if the SR might not have the same issue.

The cure seems to be either lapping out the area or fire lapping. Or some combination of the two. I've been too busy to pursue either option but it's on the To Do list.

In any event I'll leave it to you to search for the same stories. And for the cost of scrounging a couple of dead soft lead .50Cal round balls to slug the bore.

BCB
04-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Actually that boolit should shoot but remember it is a PB with a narrow base band. Even a light load of any fast powder will peak pressure very fast and it can be wrong to look at overall pressure.
I would harden to see.
The SRH is one of the best but I don't like the Burris scope, I have the same one and ruined the tube with heavier loads in the .44. Even 3 rings and rosin on them let the scope slip until I ruined it. The tube on mine is dead soft. Looks like a pipe wrench was used. I have the old one that is so very big and heavy it does not want to come back with the guns.
The 1 in 20 is right at home with 240-250 gr boolits, My best bullet was the 240 XTP, doing 1/2" at 50 with the SRH but it NEEDED 24 gr of 296. But I use the Fed 150 primers only. Very important and even more so with fast powders so don't use a mag primer for any light loads. They triple groups with 296. They will cause Unique, 231, etc, to reach peak before the boolit moves much and boolits can skid or the base expand so much it tries to exit the gap. Bump up or bump out? They also change airspace because the primer pressure will push out boolits before proper ignition with slow powders.
Between all my IHMSA shooter friends and hunting friends, we have not used a mag primer since 1980 in the .44's.
BCB has not said what primer he uses. Slippery lube will let a boolit move too fast too. Lube must have BITE on brass! Contradicts the word LUBE but it is true. Lube is not to make a boolit slippery.
Revolvers are strange animals and I don't think anyone has tested more stuff then I have or shot as small groups as I have, many reaching 1/2" at 100 yards. Back in the day, my SRH would hit pop cans at 200 yards with the 240 XTP. Super gun ranking right up with a S&W 29 but easier to control the grip hold. Hold the SRH FIRM only. S&W needs a custom grip. Don't wimp the SRH and let it run free. Put the muzzle on a bag and the grip on a firm bag. The rear bag must have the same tension from the grip. Forget the frame rests, etc.
I do sight for hunting from bags since I found I was the problem off hand from loss of control. I hit the same now off hand as I do from bags. My best example are three shots off hand at 100 yards with my .44. Yes 3/4" for the three. 136962

44man…

I agree. The Burris ‘scope is good, but it will not stay in place with my 20 grain loads of H-110 and the Lyman 429650 (~320 grains). After about 50-75 shots, it has moved. I have marked the tube in reference to the rings and it can be then noted. My rings are completely touching, top and bottom, when the screws are tight. I thought about rubbing the rings on a fine piece of emery cloth to remove a bit and then maybe the screws would tighten better—might not do that though…

I only shoot this Super Redhawk on occasions and it certainly is not a “put it in your holster and walk around” type handgun. At a bit over 5 pounds, it doesn’t do well as a carry gun!!!...

Yet, I thought I might get a good plinker load that would rattle 12-ounce cans at 75-100 yards with proper holdover. I am not going to change the ‘scope for the light loads as it is tuned for the 429650 and it is a groundhog-sized silhouette killer at 200 yards…

I have taken several white-tailed deer with it using the 429650, but cast with a pure lead insert in the mold and then a WW alloy poured on top. I have also used pure lead. Both all of those slugs were hollow-pointed with the Forster trimmer setup, and they mushroomed well…

I marked the area (with a nickel I would just drop on the ground) where I shot the deer and in the spring I went back with a metal detector and found the slug. I own the property so I could have such a privilege to do so…

I also shoot as you indicate. No mechanical handgun holders or rests for me. All sandbags I make from tire tubes. Dry sand and they will stay good all winter long in my shooting bench. (But I do have a heated cabin that I can shoot 50 yards and they don’t freeze there!)…

I could do lots more to make this little Lee boolit shoot better, but all I want is a plinker. And really, a 5+ pound handgun with a ‘scope might not be a good choice of a carry/plinker!!!...

But don’t stand out there at the 200 yard target and expect me to miss you!!! The 429650 will get the job done easily. I have some nice 1.5” groups at 100 yards with that boolit…

Thanks all, but I think the challenge is done. I will continue to shoot the Lee 429-240-2R, but not with the accuracy I expected. But then, maybe killing beer cans at 50 yards ain’t that bad at all…

BCB

BCB
04-16-2015, 05:25 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=3216306#post3216306)

Sorry if I upset you.

No problem at all…

SOMETIMES BAD NEWS IS NEEDED TO WAKE UP AN INDIVIDUAL. I DID NOT INSINUATE I KNOW THE FINAL RESULTS OF ANYTHING. I AM NOT A SOOTHSAYER OR A MEDIUM?

MIXED MESSAGES ???????? ONE CAN ONLY GO BY WHAT YOU POST.

GLAD YOU DO.

Thanks again…BCB

44MAG#1

My hands are IN THE AIR…

I SURRENDER…

You WIN…

Good-luck fellow cast boolit shooter…BCB

44man
04-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Long ago I fooled with light loads just for cans. I use the RCBS 245 gr and 7 to 10 gr of Unique and 231 at the right amount and did not have anything good on paper. Working the fast powders did not find any improvements, seems as if it doesn't matter that much.
I started to fool with alloys and going from soft to air cooled WW's, then water dropping showed the best but still not happy, I started to add pure antimony and some tin to my WW metal. Water dropping got me to 28, 30 BHN.
I got groups at 50 yards that were smaller then what I was getting at 25. I don't know if I was just keeping the Keith shoulder from damage in the cone or not, or the base held up better.
Still, working loads to 10 gr of Unique showed no change from 7 gr but all groups were extremely good.
Then it was up to me to hit off hand but I knew a miss was just me.
I did not record every change but as I made a change to the alloy, there was an improvement in groups at every step. I was hoping to find the point where I did not need more hardness and the use of my antimony and tin kept to the minimum but it never showed up.
At the velocities I was shooting, a soft nose will be needed for deer, lack of energy so I just stay with a hard WW boolit, heavy, for hunting and stay with 296.
By the way a RD 265 with 22 gr of 296 is super accurate with Felix lube.
Don't fear hard, they do not lead the gun if they fit.

gunarea
04-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Hey BCB
Lawnsteel shooters are limited to a top velocity of 850fps in all large calibers. At 50 to 75yds, accuracy demands are less than 1" of shot deviation. Several different loads and propellants are used by the shooters. Our most accurate loads are worked to be right around 810fps for the pinpoint accuracy needed. My personal 44 load uses Alliant Promo, 4.95gr propels a 215gr semiwad at an average velocity of 809fps with an standard deviation of 7fps. While I can hold my own, I am not the best shot presently. The loads of other shooters may employ different powders but the desired speed is pretty much common with the best shooters. A couple guys use 44 special brass but the speed is the speed. Guns used with these loads are, super Blackhawk(old model), super Redhawk, super Blackhawk(new model), S&W 629, S&W 29, Blackhawk(new model 45) and a handful of contenders. It is a 30%/70% mix of Lyman #2 and the rest using a softer alloy for better obturation. My personal experience with slow 44s is covered with state titles in a couple different shooting disciplines(not so many since retiring). Of the powders mentioned, most are used in my circle with good results.
One thing which needs covered is the position sensitivity issue that is very important to understand with these light loads in big casings. In my big gun, 50fps is the difference between powder forward and powder rearward. This is not a guess or estimate! With light loads, use of magnum primers is a detriment for velocity and ergo, groups. I do have one secret trick which I have shared with every person I have competed with. When you cannot duplicate my load velocity results, send me a PM, I'll clue you in. Best of skill to you.
Roy

MtGun44
04-19-2015, 12:06 AM
Try a different boolit.

BCB
04-20-2015, 01:53 PM
Try a different boolit.

I agree with the different boolit, except I have tried several different ones throughout my owning this Super Redhawk…I have tried RCBS 44-250-K, 429650, RCBS 44-240-SWC, and now the Lee 429-240-2R. I have used 9 different powders according to my spreadsheet that I keep track of all the reloads I have used/tried/attempted since I became somewhat familiar with Excel in about ’95. Tests stuff before this data are pretty much gone except with some of the targets that have been saved…

I went to the Lee boolit as I have its style of boolit for my 357 Magnum and my 45 Colt. Both of those critters work quite well for open sights…

I have had almost no success with this SRH and light loads. I figured with a 7x ‘scope and a dang good sandbag rest, 1” groups should be easily obtained at 50 yards—I was wrong years ago and I remain wrong today!!!...

I do think that there are some firearms that simply will not shoot certain boolit weights and velocities no matter what powder, primer, case, alloy, etc are tried…

I think this SRH might be just that when it comes to reduced loads…

Load up a full-bore 429650 or a 44-240-SWC, both gaschecked, and you have some pretty impressive stuff down range. The 429650, 320 grainer, especially…

Thanks to all for the info…

Good-luck…BCB