PDA

View Full Version : What is the object circled in the picture?

Terryfromok
04-07-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure what it is. How does it attach to a swage press? Where can I get one? Can somebody make a sketch of it so I can get one made?

marten
04-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Nose punch, fits in a shell holder on your reloading press.
I have one of these dies in .223

runfiverun
04-07-2015, 11:32 AM
okay I'm an idiot.
I thought you were talking about the C@H C type press that was made for half jackets.
that circled part is either a top or bottom punch [it could slip in the top of the die] and is used to form a nose or base of a bullet.
in some set-ups you swage the bullet nose down.
in others you swage them nose up it just depends on the pin configuration you need to use.

DukeInFlorida
04-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Here's a link to the manual for CH4D 101 series dies, similar to what you pictured.
In it, you will see the item you circled:

http://www.ch4d.com/Media/files/manuals/101.pdf

Forrest r
04-11-2015, 07:33 AM
That's a flat base forming die, if slips/fits into a shell holder.

The longer pieces are your nose forming dies & it looks like the swc die is cracked in your picture.

Put your base plug in the shell holder (try a holder for a 308/30-06/45acp) for a 308 swaging body or a 38/357 shell holder for a 358 die body, etc.

Pressman
04-18-2015, 06:43 AM
Herter's .308 swage die. The circled part is the nose punch. This die forms half jacket, .308 boolits upside down, that is nose down. The punch fits a Herter's #1 shellholder (30-06) with out a primer hole. The top of the die has the knockout rod.
The remaining parts are for a different swaging setup using the Herter's Swage-o-Matic or 9 ton press.

Ken

Pressman
04-18-2015, 11:22 AM
OK, first I opened mouth and inserted Boolit. Oops. :o Unfortunately I do not have instructions for this die.

This is a Herter's 308-C swage die. It is for swagging half jacket 30 Carbine boolits. The die and base punch should be so marked.

The picture shows the die parts (most of them). The nose punch is in the die body and can be seen poking out the bottom. It does not size upside down, but nose up. The knockout punch and guide are to the right, the flat base and special shellholder to the left.

Hope this clears up some confusion I created.

Ken

Terryfromok
04-18-2015, 02:11 PM
OK, first I opened mouth and inserted Boolit. Oops. :o Unfortunately I do not have instructions for this die.

This is a Herter's 308-C swage die. It is for swagging half jacket 30 Carbine boolits. The die and base punch should be so marked.

The picture shows the die parts (most of them). The nose punch is in the die body and can be seen poking out the bottom. It does not size upside down, but nose up. The knockout punch and guide are to the right, the flat base and special shellholder to the left.

Hope this clears up some confusion I created.

Ken
Do you suppose a new punch could be made that would just fit in the shell holder area of the ram?

Pressman
04-18-2015, 08:36 PM
A punch can be made, remember that it has to be hand lapped to fit the die. Most often these dies are located with the punch missing.

Ken

Terryfromok
04-18-2015, 09:38 PM
I figured that I would try to find a machinist to quote he job and then send the die body to him to complete the job. I might have to figure a way to make the punch a floating design to aid in punch to die alignment.

Thanks for your help

skeettx
04-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Or call the fellas that made the dies, they still make them :)

http://www.ch4d.com/

gitano
05-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Or call the fellas that made the dies, they still make them :)

http://www.ch4d.com/

:D:D:D:D:D

Paul

Forrest r
05-02-2015, 07:27 AM
I figured that I would try to find a machinist to quote he job and then send the die body to him to complete the job. I might have to figure a way to make the punch a floating design to aid in punch to die alignment.

Thanks for your help

I've made several nose forming "punches" for these types of dies. You don't want a floating design, when pressure is exerted on the punch it will take the path of least resistance. Hence, float to one side or the other. These are 1-step swaging dies, if you were using multiple steps with a nose forming die to start to shape the nose you could use a floating system.

These are good swaging dies if they are used as intended, to make simple bullets in a specific weight range (that's why the dies are marked a/b/c/etc). They also make excellent lead swaged bullets for pc'ing.

Good luck