PDA

View Full Version : Some what new to casting and need help.

Bob Smith
04-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm casting a 45 cal. BPCR bullet, I have my 20lbs Lyman pot cranked up as high as it will go. I'm dipping and pouring a stream until I get a good puddle on top of the single cavity mold. I'm working hard at being consistent and I get up to a 3 grain variation in 10 bullets. I'm culling due to weight 70% of my bullets. Is this normal for a 535gr. Bullet. If I put the pour spout tight against the poor hole I can get the weight up to 5gr heavier. Suggestions? Advice? Help. Thanks, Bob

pworley1
04-06-2015, 09:56 PM
3/535=.0056 I would say that is good enough for most shooting. You can sort you bullets instead of culling them into three groups if most are either 535, 534, 532.

D Crockett
04-06-2015, 10:25 PM
a little more info would help I used to weigh every bullet and like you I was dumping back 70% to 80% then I tried just shooting them all and they ended up working just fine for my use in a 44 mag pistol and Marlin riffle what are you using for lead ??? are you using a spew plat lube like bull plate lube so you do not have a whole on the base of the bullet where the spew was cut off ??? have you tried a different temp when casting ??? I am just guessing here but are you not getting a good grouping ??? and have you tried ladle casting ??? are you weighing them before you lube and size them or after ??? answer these questions and it might help you on your quest for what you are looking to get out of this bullet and then again it might not help at all D Crockett

badbob454
04-07-2015, 01:37 AM
3 grains in a 500 gr boolit is good nuff... keep on getting on

Dan Cash
04-07-2015, 06:45 AM
I also sort my long range BPCR bullets into weight groups of 1 grain each. With an electronic scale, it does not take long to do. However, I stopped using the Lyman type ladle and now use a modified soup ladle (Hammered a pouring lip into it). With a full ladle of alloy, I pour into the mould and when the mould overflows, I continue to pour for about 3 seconds. Holding the mould at an angle so the excess metal flows over the end of the mould and back into the pot keeps the mould at a constant temp and does not get lead all over the sides of the blocks. I leave a as large a sprue puddle on the sprue plate as I can. This has reduced the variation of bullet weight so that I only have 3 or perhaps 4 weight groups of competition bullets. If a match does not have a stage in excess of 900 yards, I don't bother weighing the bullets as either I don't shoot well enough to make a difference or the weights don't make a difference. When I miss, it is usually because of cross wind and not a range error.

Jeffrey
04-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Might be a silly question, but is this a single cavity mold?

badbob454
04-15-2015, 11:34 AM
yes, he did state it was , a single cavity.

gpidaho
04-16-2015, 12:01 PM
I gave up sorting by weight and just give them a good look for defects. Tried them sorted and unsorted and either way they all shot better than I do. Have heard from some pretty good shooters that do sort that under 1% and your good enough. GP