PDA

View Full Version : what gun to donate for a benefit auction?

historicfirearms
04-06-2015, 06:44 PM
We are having a benefit dinner and auction for my sister next month. She has breast cancer and needs help with medical bills. My niece asked me if I could donate a gun or two for the auction. I said that I would do anything I could to help. Now I have to decide which guns would bring the most money for her. I have mainly old, well used guns, and would gladly give any of them to help out, but I am thinking that new, shiny guns would get more bids. So I am asking for suggestions from the group, what guns do you think would bring the most bids? There are lots of deer hunters in this area, so I'm thinking a Remington 700.
I also have to ask if donating a gun for an auction is going to get me into any trouble with the ATF. It should be legal, but maybe I should have an ffl do a transfer?

garandsrus
04-06-2015, 06:49 PM
When I have seen guns won guns at charity events, new guns went through a FFL. They did auction off a used shotgun and it didn't go through a FFl.

Fishman
04-06-2015, 07:06 PM
If legal in your state, a raffle will likely bring in more money. Rifles do better than shotguns in my limited experience.

A great way to do it is on site at the dinner or whatever with a pack of cards. Sell the cards for $20 each (for example) and each buyer gets half the card or cards of their choice. The other half goes into a box in front of everyone. Once all 52 are sold, a card is drawn and whomever has it wins the rifle. Limiting the time of the rafile to that evening and the number of tickets seems to resonate with people. Adjust the card price for the value of the gun. This allows people to help that aren't able to spend $400 on an item.

I hope this helps.

buckwheatpaul
04-06-2015, 07:29 PM
You can auction the weapons off that you want but I would require that the winner go with you to a FFL dealer and transfer the weapons to the winner.... I donated a pistol to the HAWKS club and when we drew for the winner we drew 2 names .... the first was the winner....providing they could pass the background.....if they cant then the 2nd name drawn would become the winner....it has worked for the Hawks for over 6 raffels....you can pm me if I can help....

shaper
04-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Our wild life club has a raffle each year to raise some cash for the club. We have been offering the Remington bolt action 770 with scope. Resale price is around $330. Our raffle does go for a few months though, and we go through a FFl.

DCM
04-06-2015, 10:21 PM
+1 on the raffle.
You need to check Your local laws.
Around Here their are no problems donating with no paper for either party, Private trade.
I know that in some places the rules are Very different though.

Artful
04-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Don't know if this helps or not - but I would see about a bit of ammo with the gun -
a 10/22 with a brick of ammo would be more appealing than just a 10/22 to me.

starmac
04-07-2015, 12:40 PM
My thoughts is some states require an ffl to be involved and some don't.
I sure can't think of a reason I would impose any restriction on a person buying it that the law or government doesn't already.

Personally I would not bid any more on a shiny new one than I would on a nice used one. As far as something like a 770, the only way I would bid at all is if I was just wanting to donate.
There is no background check here for private sales, but when the Friends of the NRA has their raffles, one is required. This may be because they are new firearms and the raffle is held in the store. I'm sure sportsmans makes them a special deal or maybe even donates their time for the required paper work. I do know the winners are not charged for it.

jonp
04-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Where are you at?

Blacksmith
04-07-2015, 01:54 PM
At the Friends of the NRA banquet the Henry Golden Boy always brings top dollar, it has "curb appeal".

Smoke4320
04-07-2015, 02:01 PM
"I also have to ask if donating a gun for an auction is going to get me into any trouble with the ATF. It should be legal, but maybe I should have an ffl do a transfer? "
I would definitely have an FFL involved in doing the Transfer. That way nothing comes back on you later

historicfirearms
04-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Where are you at?
North central Michigan.

SSGOldfart
04-07-2015, 03:35 PM
We are having a benefit dinner and auction for my sister next month. She has breast cancer and needs help with medical bills. My niece asked me if I could donate a gun or two for the auction. I said that I would do anything I could to help. Now I have to decide which guns would bring the most money for her. I have mainly old, well used guns, and would gladly give any of them to help out, but I am thinking that new, shiny guns would get more bids. So I am asking for suggestions from the group, what guns do you think would bring the most bids? There are lots of deer hunters in this area, so I'm thinking a Remington 700.
I also have to ask if donating a gun for an auction is going to get me into any trouble with the ATF. It should be legal, but maybe I should have an ffl do a transfer?
Rem700 should bring good money as will any black powder so it's easy to ship Please send us a link so we can either bid or right out help. I need some details on this auctionPlease

w5pv
04-07-2015, 04:40 PM
For protection all around I would go FFL,private sale only if you know the person and gun.

bob208
04-07-2015, 08:33 PM
from my experience a nice 94 or 336 in .30-30. it would appeal to new shooters and guys just wanting a back up. stay away from the magnums they are too hard on the new shooters and the ammo cost too much.

DCM
04-07-2015, 09:42 PM
North central Michigan.

I would definitely check with LE in your state on transfer requirements.

Wayne Smith
04-08-2015, 07:52 AM
Face to face with a long gun in Virginia, no problem. Depends on your state law, not the ATF.

historicfirearms
04-08-2015, 02:48 PM
I just talked to my local dealer and he too recommended a Henry golden boy or a Ruger 10/22. He said he would sell me either at his cost, so that sounds great. He also said he would handle the paperwork for us too.

As far as I know, bidding will only be open to those that are at the dinner. I appreciate everyone's generous attitude here, most of you feel like family. My sister is doing ok. She's week from the chemotherapy, but the doctor said they got all the cancer, for whatever that is worth.