PDA

View Full Version : Dad has Alzheimer's

wyrmzr
04-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Just found out today that my dad has Alzheimer's. The doctor seemed surprised that he was functioning as well as he is, it's apparently that far advanced.
Any and all prayers would be appreciated.

RED333
04-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Praying for yall

fatnhappy
04-06-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm so sorry. Praying for you.

DLCTEX
04-06-2015, 08:54 PM
A relative has recently displayed symptoms and has worsened quickly, I'll be in prayer for your dad.

Clay M
04-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I have been through this hell with both my parents..Whatever you do you will not be prepared for it..
You will need help at some point...It is a time of suffering, both for your parent and for you..

Plan ,and research the facilities in your area .. read the Thirty six hour day..

I am sorry to hear about your dad..

Praying the best for you..

opos
04-06-2015, 09:53 PM
We have the situation in our family..difficult times..one thing I might pass on is to take care of yourself...times of stress and confusion can lead to forgetting to take care of yourself and those around you..hard to keep all the things in line...prayers are with you and yours.

Bzcraig
04-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear and prayers for you and family.

Bad Water Bill
04-07-2015, 04:56 AM
Lost my dad the same way.

Be very careful as they can suddenly turn violent and take a swing at anyone.

The folks were married over 60 years without an argument but suddenly dad took a swipe at mom.

Time for a place that will handle them gently.

MrWolf
04-07-2015, 06:39 AM
I am so sorry. My Mom was diagnozed with early onset at 55. She has since passed but there were some rough times. Something not mentioned but that you and your siblings if any need to consider is that you stand a very good chance of having it yourself. Look at taking DHA supplements. I have been taking them for about six or so years and they made a difference in my mental aquity. God Bless.

Ron

castalott
04-07-2015, 07:15 AM
I lost my mom from this last July. It's Hell and they need you more than ever. They need love more than Ever! Whatever you are going thru, it's 100 times worse for them.

I have read in the last 2 weeks of 2 new cures. Yes, I said 2 new cures. The Aussies have one that uses some sort of wave and then there is a new drug. So have hope! If you need to talk to someone who has been thru this, PM me for a phone number. I have rested for 6 months and am still exhausted.

I will keep you in my Prayers.

Dale

buckwheatpaul
04-07-2015, 07:40 AM
It is a horrible disease with some meds that help to retard the effects....I am praying for your dad, you and your family.

starnbar
04-07-2015, 07:57 AM
That's a hard road to go down my mom started showing symptoms about 63 and she went another 25 years getting progressively worse if you can spend a little time with him every day it seems to calm them to recognize a familiar face even if they don't remember your name, sorry to hear you have to bear this burden.

Polish Pistolero
04-07-2015, 08:46 AM
I lost my father last September after being diagnosed for 10 years! He never got mean, just weak since he never felt hungry, or thought he had just eaten! Next, he had fell, broke his hip and Hospice put him on Morphine, and never woke up again! He stopped breathing since he had sleep apnea, but it wasn't diagnosed till after his Alzheimer's since he wouldn't wear a breathing mask, and the morphine didn't let him wake himself up when he would stop breathing!
God be with y'all, and he's in my prayers!

Clay M
04-07-2015, 06:30 PM
It is just a bad time my friend.. Try to find some reliable day or night sitters to help you out..Otherwise you will not be able to hold up over the long haul..They can get combative and even run away..
I wish you the best.. I have been there..trust me..
I can remember the morning my mother died.. It was a relief because I knew her suffering was over, but I couldn't stop crying.. because my mother was gone.. She always believed in me she was the support of my life for so many years..I could always count on her.It is a painful journey my friend, and the closer you are to your parent the more it hurts.
I am going to try to do my best to make sure my family doesn't suffer like this..If I can figure it out in time..

Four years after my mother died with Alzheimer's, my dad got it.Then an ambitious widow tried to steal all his money..
My sister and I caught Hell for about five years..
It was a nightmare but we worked hard and set everything right..

No I will not leave my family like this if I can help it...

I am praying for you!

wyrmzr
04-07-2015, 08:03 PM
The irony in this is that my dad ran nursing homes for over 30 years, and he's seen the effects more times than I would care to count. My mother also has Alzheimer's, on top of Parkinson's, but we didn't have the slightest inkling my dad had it until yesterday, and the brain scans seem to indicate it's progressed further than my mom's is, but somehow his brain has managed to compensate for the damage, whereas my mother's brain has not.
Right now we're looking at putting into assisted living, which he has no qualms about. He's more worried about the fact that he can't drive, and he goes twice a day to the nursing home to help feed my mom, as her Parkinson's has left her far too shaky to feed herself.
Having grown up around nursing homes the majority of my life, I at least somewhat know to expect, but yes, it does present itself in different ways, depending on which parts of the brain are affected the fastest.

Clay M
04-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Any way you look at it, it is a sad thing.. I would rather have cancer or die of a heart attack..
The corrosion of the brain is the worse fate I can think of.
We all have to go ,one way on another..
Just enjoy your life ,and try to make someone else life happy along the way.
Both my Mother and Father were the best of the best.. Real Americans that lived with a dream and a purpose..I am happy that I lived under their watch.
My father was a rifleman of the first degree..A Cattleman and a Rancher.. He taught me most everything I know.He was made of steel,..to see him go down with Alzheimer's was a very painful experience for me..I will do my best not to die like that. There was not a man alive better than my Father. He served in WWII and would gladly given his life for his country of his family.

I miss them greatly...and they will never be replaced in my life..
I have a son that is the best I could hope for... I try to teach him what I have learned..from my father and grandfather..