PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec PF-9, my newest jewel of a carry gun

brettb75
04-06-2015, 06:58 AM
I acquired a KelTec PF-9 about 3 months ago because ive heard good things about them from friends as well as videos and forums. I wanted to trade my normal carry gun which was at the time a Kahr cw9. I had trouble from the Kahr from the beginning, everything from light primer strikes to jams and everything in between and I had tried every kind of ammo I could get my hands on. Needless to say I wound up with the PF-9 and it has done everything I want it to plus more. I am approaching 500 rounds in this little beauty and the only stoppage that has happened was a light handload that didnt generate enough force to completely recoil and strip the next round. I have shot maybe 100 factory loads and the rest handloads. Even through the 250 round break in period there were no stoppages of any kind. I was looking for a light recoiling target/practice load for the gun. I found this load in the LEE TL 124 grain boolit over 3.5 grains of RED DOT or 3.7 grains of BULLSEYE. The boolits were quenched out of the mold using WW alloy. C.O.L is 1.110 and a light taper crimp. I am also considering fire lapping the short barrel. It might seem like overkill but extra accuracy never hurt. Anyway ive ng rambled long enough but to anyone considering buying the KelTec PF-9 I can highly recommend it. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me and id be glad to help in any way I can.

FergusonTO35
04-06-2015, 09:23 AM
They are very nice guns, I had one for a couple of years. The only thing I didn't like was how it flung brass everywhere. Would love to see KT make this one in .380.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-06-2015, 09:40 AM
I learned a bit of history Kel-tec got it's start as Grendel , 2 separate companies same founder George Kellgren very similar design , his Grendel P10 was one of the first light weight personal carry pistols and looks a lot like a kel-tec

the founder got his start at Husqvarna , then moved to the US and worked for Intratrec , then left to start Grendel then closed grendle and opened Kel-tec

the Gerndel p-10 held more rounds than any other pistol it's size but lacked a removable magazine but could load its internal magazine from 223 stripper clips the later P-12 gave people the magazine that they were used to

if you look at the Grendel guns you will also see the beginnings of the PMR-30 22mag pistol

FergusonTO35
04-06-2015, 11:32 AM
I've been a Kel-Tec fan ever since the P-32 came out. I would like to see them try their hand at a full size centerfire pistol. They could make it with different grip shells to use different types of mags.

Catshooter
04-07-2015, 04:30 AM
In my limited experience Kel-Tecs are one brand that can usually benefit from a fire lap.

My Sub 9 went from four inches at 25 yards to an inch with a fire lap from me.

Generally good guns.

Cat

soldierbilly1
04-07-2015, 01:39 PM
I owned a kel Tec P11, 9mm. I am a value gun buyer and KelTec is very tough to beat!
For a 3" barrel the gun was pretty damned accurate, if I say so myself. Never even one hiccup.
Great value, I would buy another without hesitation.
billboy just my 0.02.

c1skout
04-07-2015, 09:37 PM
I've had a first gen P3at since they came out. It's never had a problem or stoppage of any kind with Rn. ammo, but tc or hp bullets will give it fits. I don't know how many rounds I've put through it but would guess close to 2 thousand.

FergusonTO35
04-07-2015, 11:35 PM
My P32 eats any kind of boolit I've ever tried. The only thing that chokes it is rim lock from certain cases with too short an OAL. Keep the OAL at .940 or more with good cases like Winchester or Fiocchi and she runs 100% all day long. Also, the Wolff 11 pound recoil spring is a great upgrade. You can really feel the difference with stout reloads or Euro spec 7.65.

brettb75
04-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys, its all good info. Im thinking about fire lapping mine as well to help accuracy even more