PDA

View Full Version : When your hands start aching too much ...........

Three44s
04-06-2015, 12:28 AM
When your hands start aching too much ............. and you are uniforming primer pockets ..........

............. I made a discovery that you might want to take a look at:

Use your impact bullet puller as a case vise!

I was uniforming the pockets of some 300 Savage brass and was brain storming on how to hold them without cramping up my hands ...... and it dawned on me I had the perfect casing vise ........ my impact bullet puller.

I installed the empty deprimed case in the tool as if I was about to pull an imaginery bullet from it and inserted the primer pocket cutting tool into the pocket instead ...... and for extra efficiency I also rotated the bullet hammer opposite the pocket cutter for double the efficiency.

No cramping hands but cut pockets just the same!

Best regards

Three 44s

smokeywolf
04-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Great idea! Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll forget it. For as the arthritis in my hands increases, my short term memory decreases.

xvigauge
04-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Great tip! Thanks.
xvigauge

Stonecrusher
04-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Why didn't I think of that! I will try that next time. Thanks.

Three44s
04-07-2015, 12:45 AM
You are welcome!

It's about time I thought of something useful for all of you that have helped me the past few years on this great forum!!

Best regards and enjoy!

Three 44s

Lead Fred
04-07-2015, 01:32 AM
I use a L.E. Wilson case lathe with primer pocket attachment, hands dont get tired, nor cramped.
I did the first 3000 cases the old fashion way. Kilt me hands, and it does not do as good of a job

Cmm_3940
04-07-2015, 02:12 AM
That idea is so obvious, it's not obvious. Great idea! No more sliced thumbs when the pocket uniformer grabs the pocket and spins the case, turning the case mouth into a tiny hole saw. I'm still not sure how I managed that one... :oops:

pworley1
04-07-2015, 09:11 AM
I use a 1/2 variable speed keyless drill held in a vice. Chuck up the brass run the drill at slow speed easy on the hands.

RichBaxter
04-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Great idea! Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll forget it. For as the arthritis in my hands increases, my short term memory decreases.

X2

Rich

Artful
04-07-2015, 11:41 AM
You know - I'm getting of the age where I forget stuff too much - so I'm thinking about doing a notebook
with pages devoted to task specific information.

A page on just Primer Pocket procedure / tips for example.
- Maybe in a sheet protector for those spills when I forget where I put that drink.

Cmm_3940
04-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Lamination. Print a copy of the data/procedure you need. Laminate it. Highlight relevant section on top of lamination. Tape it to the wall right in front of where you're working.​ When done, wipe it off and put it away until next time. Forget where you left the laminated sheet. Start over.

Mal Paso
04-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Forget what?

FISH4BUGS
04-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Vicodin works wonders......no hurting hands!...or anything else for that matter.:bigsmyl2:

ole 5 hole group
04-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Some of uset guys make work out of what should be a simple project

For several years now, I've used the Sinclair tools http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/uniformers/sinclair-uniformer-kit-with-screwdriver-adaptor-prod36760.aspx with a small battery powered drill (Ryobi - 8 volt mdl HP108L). I usually wear a glove on the case holding hand mainly to keep my paw clean but it does help on tight pockets when they want to spin.

While you're at it, hit the flash hole one time - will make ya feel better (again Sinclair tool for that job).

Three44s
04-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Some of uset guys make work out of what should be a simple project

For several years now, I've used the Sinclair tools http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/uniformers/sinclair-uniformer-kit-with-screwdriver-adaptor-prod36760.aspx with a small battery powered drill (Ryobi - 8 volt mdl HP108L). I usually wear a glove on the case holding hand mainly to keep my paw clean but it does help on tight pockets when they want to spin.

While you're at it, hit the flash hole one time - will make ya feel better (again Sinclair tool for that job).

I have Lyman pocket uniformers .......... and I have a small cordless screwdriver ....... Craftsman ..... I believe, I even use a drill press kicked up in high gear, but that does not change the issue of holding the case. My hands start cramping after several cases .... but not before I have finished even with a moderate supply of cases to work through ......

...... and it is accelerated by trying to hold cases that are smaller in size ........ just the ones I am more likely to do a bunch of preparation to .........

Twenty years ago I could stand a lot more ....... but as I sneak up on the big "six O" .... things just don't work like they used to.

It's not a case of making something out of thin air ........ it's just brutal biology and age.

Thanks and best regards

Three 44s

mold maker
05-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Three44s, wait till ya start running from 70. You'll have aches in places that ya didn't even know existed.

Three44s
05-18-2015, 01:09 AM
Three44s, wait till ya start running from 70. You'll have aches in places that ya didn't even know existed.

Well, I'll have to conjour up some more work arounds .....

Best regards

Three 44s