PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting into swaging for 223

ljm
04-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Hi,
This is my first time posting. Been lurking for a while. What is a good swaging setup?
Thank You in advance for your replies.

goblism
04-05-2015, 09:38 PM
I think swaging is like any other hobby. You can spend a little bit and get setup on a reloading press. You can spend more and get setup on a true swaging press and exert less effort, or upgrade to a hydraulic. I have swaged several 224 bullets and my lee classic cast did a fair job, my RCE walnut hill does a much better job but is several times more expensive.

If you plan to only swage 224 bullets, a reloading press is fine.
Plan to reload anything bigger, get a RCE walnut hill or at least a sea girt!

dies will run ~500 per set depending on what kind of bullets you want to make.

Gunnut 45/454
04-05-2015, 10:10 PM
I'm fairly new to this swaggin game. I use Corbins dies for .224" bullets to feed my AR's mainly . They are built for 55 gr bullets mainly but I've use it to make 40-75 gr bullets in my Rock Chucker press. The heavier bullets are not easy to make so most of my swaggin is confined to 40-62 gr which do most of my work and fill my needs. Just today I went through a box of 45gr swags on our Ground squirrels, nothing better then seeing first hand the bullets you made taking game big or small. Longest hit was at 200 plus yards on a 4x2" target

blltsmth
04-06-2015, 11:09 AM
If you only intend to do the .223 route and nothing else, a set up for the reloading press will probably work out best for you. If you really want to explore swaging for other calibers, a dedicated swaging press and dies would be the way to go. Explore more @ swage.com

fredj338
04-06-2015, 02:41 PM
I only do 224 also, my RCBS Ammo Master handles the job well. BTS package because of the support, quality & completeness of the set; core mold & auto eject are worth while items. Buying lead wire kinda defeats the cost saving element of making your own 55-60gr bullets.

goblism
04-06-2015, 03:16 PM
I only do 224 also, my RCBS Ammo Master handles the job well. BTS package because of the support, quality & completeness of the set; core mold & auto eject are worth while items. Buying lead wire kinda defeats the cost saving element of making your own 55-60gr bullets.

lead wire really isn't that expensive, alfloyd sells it for under $3 a pound (I think) and for the work required it might be worth it. I currently don't use wire but plan t start soon but will continue to use cast cores. It really comes down to your time, I know that swaging is not cost effective as a whole but you can about double your production rate with wire over casting cores.

7000 grains/lbs over 50 grain cores=140 cores. An extra $2 per 140 cores is where you need to evaluate what your time is worth as well as the ability to make different size cores with a cutter vs fixed core size with a mold

BT Sniper
04-06-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure which is quicker, casting 11 cores at a time or cutting 11 cores from wire, I've done both.........but...... to make 11 cuts figure maybe 1 second per? maybe a little faster? I think I can fill the mold once every 11 seconds too. I think it would be close. Most of use are able to find a good amount of free lead by now so cost to cast becomes quite small, just time.

BT

clodhopper
04-06-2015, 07:14 PM
I have been making .178 wire with a swage press die. By comparison 3 bucks a pound plus shipping for lead wire is very cheap.

I have a BTSniper .250 mold it works very good.

Pipefitter
04-07-2015, 04:55 AM
Go with Dave Corbin's adjustable core mold if you are planning on making more than a few hundred bullets a year. Soft lead is easy to come by, and if you are already casting boolits you will have a lead pot.

just bill
04-07-2015, 06:28 AM
If you have any molds you can make lead wire with A.L. Floyds extrusion die rather cheaply using exIsting equipment.

clodhopper
04-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Go with Dave Corbin's adjustable core mold if you are planning on making more than a few hundred bullets a year. Soft lead is easy to come by, and if you are already casting boolits you will have a lead pot.
I have a corbin core mold, I have screwed it to the bench once and cast with it, have not worked out how to make it operate smoothly.
The corbin molds are adjustable. But with my BT .250 11 cavity, casting cores is so fast running them through the core cutter does not seem to be a bother.

Is there a good video of a corbin core mold in operation? one the that shows where the lead pot sits, relative bench height, catch box location, and perhaps strategies to keep lead slopped over from filling the mold, from landing on finished cores?

clodhopper
04-07-2015, 11:49 AM
If you have any molds you can make lead wire with A.L. Floyds extrusion die rather cheaply using exIsting equipment.
Yep A L Floyd's extrusion die is what I have, works good. But after making more than 40 lbs of .187 lead wire, three bucks a pound plus shipping still looks cheap.

Pipefitter
04-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I use a dipper, wear welding gloves to catch the cores, put them in a container on the bench. I dont have a problem with slopped over lead.

fredj338
04-07-2015, 05:56 PM
lead wire really isn't that expensive, alfloyd sells it for under $3 a pound (I think) and for the work required it might be worth it. I currently don't use wire but plan t start soon but will continue to use cast cores. It really comes down to your time, I know that swaging is not cost effective as a whole but you can about double your production rate with wire over casting cores.

7000 grains/lbs over 50 grain cores=140 cores. An extra $2 per 140 cores is where you need to evaluate what your time is worth as well as the ability to make different size cores with a cutter vs fixed core size with a mold

I don't see the time savings really. You either cut the cores or cast them. I can easily cast 1800-2000/hr. Can you cut them that fast? That would be cutting 1 core less than 2sec. So even if that is possible manually, it's a wash time wise. I got my lead for free, so cost wise, my cores are free vs $20-$22/1000 w/ wire. Either has a time element involved.

Utah Shooter
04-07-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't see the time savings really. You either cut the cores or cast them. I can easily cast 1800-2000/hr. Can you cut them that fast? That would be cutting 1 core less than 2sec. So even if that is possible manually, it's a wash time wise. I got my lead for free, so cost wise, my cores are free vs $20-$22/1000 w/ wire. Either has a time element involved.
Not to stray to far off topic but. If you position the lead wire up above the core cutter you can cut one every .25 seconds I bet. I do not have anything to hang my spool of lead wire from so I have to cut it in strips and then into cores but it goes pretty quick once it his the cutter. I bet I can out cut anyone who is using a mold.

I also get my wire for trade from brass that I pick up so it turns out to be free.

fredj338
04-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Not to stray to far off topic but. If you position the lead wire up above the core cutter you can cut one every .25 seconds I bet. I do not have anything to hang my spool of lead wire from so I have to cut it in strips and then into cores but it goes pretty quick once it his the cutter. I bet I can out cut anyone who is using a mold.

I also get my wire for trade from brass that I pick up so it turns out to be free.

Tough to beat free. The 11cav mold BT supplies allows for an easy 1800/hr, if it's all going well, over 2000/hr. I just don't see cutting lead wire 4/sec by hand, at least not what I see on videos of the process. To each his own, but buying lead wire seems to defeat the plinking aspect of swaging, cost, plus availability in some obscure event. I can always find scrap lead. Extruding your own wire is even more time invested.

Utah Shooter
04-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Right. I am only into it 45 bucks for the wire cutter. Plinking aspect? I say you might as well just get one of these http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=312&osCsid=shvuc568sqh3a7bjklk09ml1n4 and save yourself the hassle and the money of a swaging setup. But you are right. To each their own.

fredj338
04-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Right. I am only into it 45 bucks for the wire cutter. Plinking aspect? I say you might as well just get one of these http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=312&osCsid=shvuc568sqh3a7bjklk09ml1n4 and save yourself the hassle and the money of a swaging setup. But you are right. To each their own.
Yep, I did not get into it to make match bullets, but to have an unlimited bullet supply should something go squirrely in Kalif.

newcastter
04-09-2015, 09:59 AM
I've made a few core molds from the blank lee molds, it's quite easy actually as long as you have access to a drill press and you could have a 6 cavity for under $75.00.

fredj338
04-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I've made a few core molds from the blank lee molds, it's quite easy actually as long as you have access to a drill press and you could have a 6 cavity for under $75.00.
Yep or in smaller calibers, 11cav like the one BT makes. Spru cutting can be a bitch though. It requires a good warm up period & a steel spru handle is very helpful.

goblism
04-09-2015, 02:11 PM

One thing that I have done for my 45 cal molds was buy a beat to heck mold Lee 6 cavity mold in 358 that was 148 wadcutter. I drilled out 1 of the cavities to be fairly heavy (~225 gr), 2 to be medium (~210 gr core), and 3 of them lighter (~175)
This will allow me to make nearly 300gr bullets in 45/44 down to 180 gr bullets with one mold. I will be using the lighter ones the most, hence why I have 3 in that cavity. The mediums are used with 230gr RN/TC bullets.

One of the best $15 I have spent.

ljm
05-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the information guys. I found somebody to make me some dies for the 5.56. Very fast turnaround and the dies and everything else work flawlessly. I would highly recommend him and his things. Here is a link to the site.http://ragingswaging.com
Thank You,
LJM
I am sure I will have some questions for you all at a later time.

plus1hdcp
05-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I, as well as others, would be interested in a couple of pictures of your dies and finished product. Plus a target or two. Congrats on getting in the game and best wishes.

ljm
05-13-2015, 09:14 PM
I will try to get some pictures up by the weekend.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Looks like the website has similar pictures as this post. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?129479-U-P-North-Swage-and-Reloading-Press-(with-adapter-kit-for-CH-4D-Dies-with-auto-eject&p=3196202&viewfull=1#post3196202

Prospector Howard
05-13-2015, 11:19 PM
I knew those pictures on the website looked familiar. Good eye, ICH. Now the question, why was he banned from this site? Also, ragingswaging? Not sure about that name. Also, ljm how much?

xman777
05-14-2015, 10:37 AM
I have lead wire rolls and bulk lead to cast with my swage core molds. I prefer having options. For a while I couldn't find much lead wire for a reasonable cost so I just casted my cores. Eventually I want a set of dies to make wire.

ljm
05-17-2015, 12:36 AM
I knew those pictures on the website looked familiar. Good eye, ICH. Now the question, why was he banned from this site? Also, ragingswaging? Not sure about that name. Also, ljm how much?
To answer your question on how much, you can email from the website link I posted for a inquiry. As far as why he was banned I talked to him personally over a phone call about it. I will not get into detail but the reason seemed pretty lame. Also I asked about his sticky that is still here on the board , he said he asked for it to be removed. It seems as he is being made an example of. I have seen other people on here that were banned while I was lurking and everything about them is gone. I read thru his sticky and seen a private message that seems like it was copy and shared with the public on here. That is a violation of Hippa , not trying to rattle any cages but the law is the law. He is a stand up guy that was told by one member he could keep his deposit on a press for everyday living expenses, I read where he returned the money to him. I have read just about 100% of his posts and threads about him and his presses and products have not had one bad review. He has been a little slow on delivery but has always delivered, and he said he has a few things to get to people yet. I think he has made a very good effort to please the customer, the dies received by him and his other products in his offering to me all beat my expectations. He has helped me over the phone and emails with countless hours of not being paid,all things helped with were operator error on me. I know for a fact he feels bad about the whole situation on here , and that being said is enough on the matter. I do wish him the best of luck and will definitely be buying from him again.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Tim does great work. I have 2 adjustable core molds from him and they are a dream to use.