PDA

View Full Version : I think I am moving on from Dillon, there has to be a better way

9w1911
04-05-2015, 08:33 PM
This "fine tuning" is BS I have owned my 550b for almost 11 years now maybe more, last weekend and today have been the most problematic I have ever had with the press. Want to change to small primers? oh boy that wil take some fine tuning, oh you want to change charge weights? that will take some fine tuning.

Hope you have a few hours to fine tune today! Thanks Dillon

*Now I know why people own 3 or 4 of these.

RobS
04-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Wow! A Dillon user admitting that the progressive owned needs "tweaking". This is the nature of using a progressive press it doesn't matter what brand really. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I owned a Dillon 550 as well and traded it for a Blackhawk 45 Colt and a Lee Loadmaster that the former user wanted to chuck in the pond. Still own the Lee press along with two other Lee's and they have given me years of reliable service.

You may want to look into a Turret press as an alternative.

altheating
04-05-2015, 08:43 PM
What fine tuning is necessary? Switching a shell plate takes maybe 2-3 minutes. Large to small primers means removing two Allen head screws, swapping out the primer bar and the insert inside the outer primer tube. Get a primer screw handle from Alverez Kelley and you can adjust the powder weight with your hand. Maybe a total of five minutes for everything. It usually takes longer to find the right size allen wrenches.
You can move on to a Lee and have a lifetime of fine tuning, or so I have been told. I'll stick with my favorite shade of Dillon Blue.

dragon813gt
04-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Do we still have the :popcorn: smiley? ;)

They all require adjustments and no press is perfect. I don't think it's been released yet but RCBS has a new one coming out that looks very promising.

r1kk1
04-05-2015, 08:57 PM
What fine tuning is necessary? Switching a shell plate takes maybe 2-3 minutes. Large to small primers means removing two Allen head screws, swapping out the primer bar and the insert inside the outer primer tube. Get a primer screw handle from Alverez Kelley and you can adjust the powder weight with your hand. Maybe a total of five minutes for everything. It usually takes longer to find the right size allen wrenches.

Seriously +1. From .17 to .50 on mine, no fine tuning needed.

Hopefully the ProChucker will have as many shellplates as the 550 and Pro 2000 does.

take care

r1kk1

9w1911
04-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Lets not confuse setting up the machine to run, with switching out the small to large primer feed only to have it not work, and trouble shoot and not work and trouble shoot and not work, rebuild it all with new parts and not work. Or have to tweak the powder every single time, because maybe its bridging, maybe the safety return spring is not properly set. Have you had one, and went over it, cleaned it re set it up and it still refuses to function. I did that maybe three or four times and still its a problem today. I used to love this press and it used to be flawless , now one tweak and I get nervous as it sets off a litany of other problems. Today is the first day I have felt that the engineering in the 550b is flawed.

Petrol & Powder
04-05-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues but I'll stick with my 550. My only complainant is the work needed to switch from small to large primers. I keep it set up for small primers and run dedicated batches of large primer loads when I do switch over. If I loaded more large primer stuff I would consider a second machine.

After 10's of thousands of rounds if it died tomorrow it would owe me nothing.

r1kk1
04-05-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues but I'll stick with my 550. My only complainant is the work needed to switch from small to large primers. I keep it set up for small primers and run dedicated batches of large primer loads when I do switch over. If I loaded more large primer stuff I would consider a second machine.

After 10's of thousands of rounds if it died tomorrow it would owe me nothing.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/338019_Cheap_Tips_and_Tricks_For_Dillon_550B_and_X L650s___Updated_3_18_2015.html

The author of the posts claims to change primer assemblies in 20 seconds.

I've changed bars over the years quite a few times I can do it with my eyes closed.

To the OP, pictures? Powder type? I think we need more info plus Alvarez and a few others will walk you through some stuff.

Take care,

r1kk1

altheating
04-05-2015, 09:19 PM
I've set them up from a box of parts when I bought a used press. Once you know how they operate the press is very simple to setup. Sounds like you should tell us what "BS" you are referring to. The manual pretty well covers everything that can be adjusted.

Alvarez Kelly
04-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Lets not confuse setting up the machine to run, with switching out the small to large primer feed only to have it not work, and trouble shoot and not work and trouble shoot and not work, rebuild it all with new parts and not work. Or have to tweak the powder every single time, because maybe its bridging, maybe the safety return spring is not properly set. Have you had one, and went over it, cleaned it re set it up and it still refuses to function. I did that maybe three or four times and still its a problem today. I used to love this press and it used to be flawless , now one tweak and I get nervous as it sets off a litany of other problems. Today is the first day I have felt that the engineering in the 550b is flawed.

Well... If you can't get it to work right, I suggest you call Dillon and ask for an Return Authorization number. Tell them you have done all you know to do and are ready to throw it in the pond. For the cost of your return postage, they will completely rebuild it, upgrading every system to the latest configuration. Make sure you include all accessories plus the dies and conversion kit you were having trouble with.

I have done this a few times, and was amazed at what they shipped me back. More than once I think they just sent me a new press with all new everything...

It is possible that a combination of wear, grime, primer dust, and powder have conspired to complicate your life. Let the no BS guarantee work for you.

wjohn
04-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Sounds like you're disgusted with it. You should be able to sell it pretty quickly if you decide to go that route. I sold a press I was tired with within a few days of posting at 90% of the new price.

But I think every press has their little problems. I've got a hornady lnl and I went through 3 retainer springs while depriming 1000 rounds last week. I read other people claiming they haven't broke a spring in over 50,000 rounds. I might have to send mine in if the problem keeps happening.

osteodoc08
04-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I've found that when either my 550, SDB, or LnL are being problematic, they are dirty and need a tear down and good cleaning. I've had my frustrations with the primer systems on the Dillons as well. I understand exactly where you're coming from. Take a breather and come back to it tomorrow. Sometimes a small thing turns into a much bigger thing because we are tired, aggravated, etc. Also get a few cans on compressed air next time you're out and about.

9w1911
04-05-2015, 09:46 PM
I hate when I start a thread out of angst. I was and am pretty upset I too have loaded thousands upon thousands with my 550 and I think. I have never used another progressive press, the 550 is all I know.

For powder today was imr8208 xbr and normally I get pinpoint perfect throws, but today just had gremlins. It must have been bridging where I would get one super loght throw the one very heavy throw, tapped on the measure at the bottom of each throw and the problem persited, I was mindful not to short stroke it too, but still one super light to one super heavy, no adjustment fixed it.

Switched out to small primers but not picking up a primer, re calibrated everything like I know how and still issue continued until I took it apart, removed the set screw so the pick up could move all the way to the back of the primer tube base, and I opened up the (new) little plastic thingy that holds the primers. That seemed to work for now.

For instance, does the 550b use pin bearing for anything? I keep finding one here and there on the floor.

jmorris
04-05-2015, 09:51 PM
This "fine tuning" is BS I have owned my 550b for almost 11 years now maybe more, last weekend and today have been the most problematic I have ever had with the press.

I will trade you straight up for a new Load Master, Pro 1000 or LNL, you pick. Send me a PM if interested.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Sometimes, you just need to switch presses, even when the one you own works perfectly, you are tired of it after a decade. Sometimes, you just need to add a difference brand of powder measure, etc.

If you're tired of the 550, get a different press, put it on the bench, get it running and see if you're any happier. I did that after a decade with a Hornady LnL. I really liked my LnL, but I'm much happier with my RCBS Proo 2000 auto advance.

just a thought,

Dave

9w1911
04-05-2015, 10:28 PM
I have no idea if I will let it go but I do need to talk it out. I will call Dillon, they have never done me wrong. I am tempted to trade for an LnL, but honestly this press, the Dillon, has worked so well I know zero about other presses.

9w1911
04-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Sometimes I just like to talk it out with you guys.

altheating
04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
If the primers are not feeding there may be something, (piece of primer, or priming compound)in the recess area. Or the Little plastic retailer piece is worn. There can't be much wrong with the priming part. The other thing that comes to mind is the spacer not being in place or dirt that is keeping the primer slide from moving freely. Could there be a upside down primer or two in that tube? Have you tightened the knurled nut on the top of the primer tube to tight, that will keep primers from feeding as it crushes the little plastic piece at the bottom.

Garyshome
04-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Keep your Lee presses, I'll keep my 550.

jmorris
04-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Sometimes I just like to talk it out with you guys.

Sounded like you were pretty fed up. Having owned most of the presses out there at one point in time or another, if a 550 pisses you off others could drive you insane.

shoot-n-lead
04-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Been there, done that and got the hat.

It took a lot of frustrating years for me to get the Dillon...and, I ain't going back.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-05-2015, 10:59 PM
This is why I own 4 550s.

wv109323
04-05-2015, 11:14 PM
I am not a cheerleader for the 550B either.
Until recently I would have spent primers all over of the place. Eventually they would get in a position to foul up the primer mechanism. Also crude would drop down on the primer stem and seated primers would have dents and marks all over them.
Eventually I found the problem to be in the flop gate that is suppose fall over when the ram is raised. My gate could get stuck closed due to the cotter pin that acts as the hinge. It would get struck then free itself and then get stuck. Also the center of gravity for the flop gate is important.
A lot of my loaded rounds end up on the floor instead of in the bin. I got to work on that still yet.
Powder funnels are one size fits all. If you need to size your case neck to accept a larger cast boolit forget it. Dillon makes one size and it is based on a jacketed bullet.
I had to work on my powder measure. The casting was so rough that it would not allow the powder slide to work properly. As a result I loaded several squib loads. I even bought a manual powder measure from a 450 and used it for a long time.
The plastic on the low primer warning buzzer is broke. Over time it will break under stress.
It is kinda like a 1970's Harley-Davidson. Work on it all week to ride it Saturday and Sunday.

Budzilla 19
04-05-2015, 11:21 PM
With a bench full of blue presses, I almost hate to single stage anymore! They work great, and when they don't ,they are dirty! Clean em up good, and all is well in reloader heaven! All joking aside, check your primer arm it probably has a primer behind it, or a small nick or worn spot on it! Been there, done that. Just my .02 cents.good luck .

9w1911
04-05-2015, 11:34 PM
My small primer arm is less height, or less tall as my LP one and the LP one is flawless. There was no primer stuck behind but that was the symptom. So that was my first inclination, when that was not true, I moved onto the little feed nipple, bliew out all the tubes with air , tightened loosed the knurled knut thingy, but the the height of the two bars is off by a few mm. I managed to get that going then I had the powder drop issue and was frustrated with fiddln with it already.

jmorris
04-06-2015, 08:49 AM
First thing I do if I am having primer problems with and SD, 550 or 1050 is change out the primer tube oraface tip. Once it is damaged there is no happiness until you replace it with a new one. When Dillon sends them out (for free) they always send me a bag of 3-5 and I call and have them send me more when I am down to one spare.

Before you install a new one you might want to make sure the anvil is fully seated and the set screw is snug. On the SD and 550, if the set screw is loose the spring that pushes up on the cup can pull the anvil up enough to contact the plastic tip and damage it. If you don't reseat the anvil and snug the set screw you'll just instantly destroy the new one.

On the 550 you can put a fired case in station 1 and act like your seating a primer. Back off the set screw on the right side that holds the anvil in place, apply sufficient force to know it is fully seated and hold while you snug the set screw. You can also swap anvils and cups from large to small pretty quick that way as well.

The knurled nut on top of the tube, I run pretty loose. Just what has worked for me the last 30 years. Loose enough that they could back off themselves if it were not for the fact they can't rotate due to the low primer alarm being installed.

NSB
04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Never had one minutes trouble using either of my Dillon presses. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds off them without a problem. They do need to be cleaned once in a while to work well. Dillon service is nothing short of fantastic besides selling a great product. Post your press on here and see how long it lasts before selling. The NO BS warranty is transferable.

Alexn20
04-06-2015, 09:16 AM
RCBS has a new one coming out that looks very promising.

I am also looking at the new RCBS pro chucker. Looks like it may be a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alestMi_c9s

ascast
04-06-2015, 09:19 AM
I would gladly swap you for an arm load of Ideal/Lyman tong tools. You'll never get a jam with these babies.

glad you got it figured out, that double or missed charges stuff can be an eye opener.

skeet1
04-06-2015, 09:27 AM

I guess we'll both be happy.

Ken

Doc Highwall
04-06-2015, 10:15 AM
I have two 550's one set up for small primers and one set up for large primers, and a 650 set up for small primers. I also have three RCBS Rockchuckers.

I bought my second 550 with extra powder measures, die conversions and shell plates for $100.00 a long time ago and love it, this makes caliber changes easier as the powder measure stays set for the caliber that was being loaded.

Getting a second powder measure for your Dillon and leaving it set can help relieve the hassles of changing calibers, I have eight different Dillon powder measures set for eight different calibers.

Yes I am lazy, but this shooting and reloading is suppose to be relaxing not an exercise in frustration so any investment is for my sanity. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

therealhitman
04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Mechanical apptitude is not automatic and all men are not created equal. I also have ZERO problems going between 9mm, 45acp, 45 colt, 38 or 45-70 on my 550's, and do quite. But I can also change my own oil (or a head gasket if needed) and not head right to the dealership. All progressives are machines after all, and slightly more complex than a single stage so there you go.

9w1911
04-06-2015, 10:55 AM
"Mechanical aptitude is not automatic and all men are not created equal."

Haha really? Does your mechanical aptitude make up for my primer feeding bars being different heights?
Let me finish putting another mechanical cam in my 454 Chevelle and I will get back to you on the mechanical aptitude part LOL Secondly lets not discuss computer "aptitude" it does have a spell check.

**ETA I changed out the nipple - that was first step

Char-Gar
04-06-2015, 11:34 AM
I am still happily reloading all the ammo I need with my vintage single state presses, my Redding 6 hole turret and my Lyman/Ideal 310 tools.

I experience no set up/switch over angst.

altheating
04-06-2015, 11:56 AM
The difference in the height of the primed tubes does not mean a thing. You simply make up the difference by tightening or loosening the knurled nut on top. The bottom of the tube is still the bottom of the tube. It don't matter where the top is. It is all in the condition of the clip at the bottom, pressure applied to the nut and cleanliness of the bottom area around the clip. Certain primers cause issues too. I'm willing to bet you dislodged a small piece of primer, weather it was a loose anvil or just priming compound buildup, but anyway you say it works now. Either way most likely just needed to be cleaned. As far as powder weights being different. Dump the reservoir and check for debris. After all it's a powder measure, if it slides back and forth it's working.

9w1911
04-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Oh sorry for not being clear, the tubes are all good, accept could be dirty I grant that. It is the actual primer bar, I have two one for small and one for large, they are different heights. Maybe the small primer one has worn down? seems unlikely but that is the only difference I can find.
As far an my angst, I would rather hash it out with you gents, maybe get a different idea on what to check and avoid calling Dillon upset.

altheating
04-06-2015, 12:50 PM
I forgot to add. Do you know there is a slot at the bottom that the clip has to set into? Set the tube in and turn a half turn at most and you can feel it drop down a little bit. The little tit goes towards the front of the press. Once it is in the slot it will no longer turn. There is a adjustment for the heights of the primer seats as well. Loosen the Allen screw and set them. Once they are adjusted they should never need adjustment again.

Smoke4320
04-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Another tip I found for powder drop issues is to run/pull a dryer sheet thru the whole measure several times.. It cleans out the small built up residue and the static cling..
I had a fit trying to get my 650 to drop consistent charges once till I did this .. Problem completely disappeared

Virginia John
04-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Dillon has great customer service and I don't think there is a problem they haven't heard. If it sounds like you need parts to fix it, they will be in the mail, no cost. Try them.

9w1911
04-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Oh yes the nipple thing is in the slot
I will call them and update you guys too

C.F.Plinker
04-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Years ago I got tired of adjusting that allen head cap screw on the primer assembly every time I switched primer sizes. I ordered the parts to make up another complete primer unit. Now all I have to do is take out the two allen head bolts on the bottom, remove the old unit, put the new one in place, lower the ram until it holds the primer cup is in position, and tighten down the two bolts.

gnostic
04-06-2015, 04:28 PM
I love my Dillon 550B. I've owned and used mine for years and never had a problem of any kind shape or form. I can change mine around in a few min... People own more than one because they're great...

skeettx
04-06-2015, 04:39 PM
I do NOT like switching calibers !!!

That is why I have Dillon 1050s in 9MM and 45 ACP, a Star in 38 Special, a Star in 357 Mag, a 3 Pro-jectors in 41, 44, 45 Colt.
Any other stuff like 7.62x25, 38 Super, 9mm Largo, etc get loaded only when the stock runs out and I normally load LOTs for them when I set up a special press.

Mike

9w1911
04-06-2015, 09:19 PM
1 Dillon said powder was bridging and suggested I crack open the measure and polish the inside
2 also to place a spent primer in the primer holder and depress with a channel lock and then tighten the allen screw on the side of the primer feed bar

fredj338
04-06-2015, 11:38 PM
I swap calibers all the time on my 550, large & small primers, just not seeing the problem. If the powder measure adjustments bother you, microm powder bar makes it easier. I do have a separate powder measure when going to 223 or 308. I am not sure what you think you'll find that is better though.certainly not a Lee & IMO, not the LNL either, but I do like the LNL powder measure.

fredj338
04-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Years ago I got tired of adjusting that allen head cap screw on the primer assembly every time I switched primer sizes. I ordered the parts to make up another complete primer unit. Now all I have to do is take out the two allen head bolts on the bottom, remove the old unit, put the new one in place, lower the ram until it holds the primer cup is in position, and tighten down the two bolts.
I've never done it my other way. One bar for small one for large, easy swap.

altheating
04-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Your press did not come with a complete primer feed bar set. (1 of each) both large and small primers? You should not have to change the LP cup and seating pin to SP cup and seating pin in the slide. Just swap out the whole slide with appropriate primer pin and cup already attached. I would be careful of using channel locks on the slide, it's made of aluminum and if you ding up the bottom its not going to slide real well. I thought you were talking about the difference in the height of the primer tubes. Get yourself a feed bar for SP or LP whichever you don't have. As far as powder bridging, don't think you can blame that on Dillon. I don't think a engineering flaw has anything to do with your priming problem either. Glad to see your problem is getting resolved.

Dan Cash
04-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Good for you. Chuck that blue boat anchor and get a Lee. Convert your work bench to a holy shrine where you can worshiip your machine while you discover the meaning of "Fine tune." What do you want for that piece of blue junk?

castalott
04-07-2015, 07:57 AM
I've seen several videos on Utube about upgrading/fine tuning the Dillon primer slide. The only time my 450's (and upgrades) didn't work flawless was because of dirt or lack of proper lube.

You might check those videos out if your machine has wear so that the primer slider changes angle at the back when it picks up a primer.

I also understand your frustration as I have a LNL that works perfect except it seems awkward to use. Everyone said I'd have trouble with priming and shell plate advancement but it works very well.

One more thought....

I watched a guy in a video show how fast he could load on a Dillon 650. And it was amazing! But I wouldn't have shot that particular run of ammo for anything. Place a bullet and slam the handle down....I can't do that...When I get everything working right, I have to have a rhythm with my press... And be gentle with it too...

Good Luck, Dale

jmorris
04-07-2015, 09:02 AM
I watched a guy in a video show how fast he could load on a Dillon 650. And it was amazing! But I wouldn't have shot that particular run of ammo for anything. Place a bullet and slam the handle down....I can't do that...When I get everything working right, I have to have a rhythm with my press... And be gentle with it too...

You don't have to load slow to have quality ammunition, just find a faster rhythm. Speed also does not equal force you can go fast and use the same force you do when you go slow.

1000 quality rounds an hour is as simple as this, no yanking or slamming required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3hVi6PuduM

castalott
04-07-2015, 04:39 PM
That was nice and smooth. The one I watched was painful. I don't treat my equipment like the other guy did.

jmorris
04-07-2015, 06:59 PM
This is a 1050 going twice as fast, 100 rounds in 2.5 min.

Still smooth enough to not spill powder or flip the bullet off sitting on top of the case mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

altheating
04-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Ah yes, a 1050 Is so much fun to operate. Have one with a mr bulletfeeder attached. Slicker than snot I a door knob.

Handloader109
04-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Yah know, I converted from 9mm to 223 the other day. Was trying to get the 223s recapped and had the darnedest time with hangups from the feeder and the cases just didn't want to drop right into the press. I finally gave up. Was reading later and opened up the Dillon manual and right there is the instructions for fixing my problem. Gee. Guess I should read it several times........

ioon44
04-08-2015, 09:11 AM
I like to de prime my brass and wet tumble so the primer feed on my 550 stays clean, I have been running the same 550 I got in 1990.

osteodoc08
04-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Hope you get her up and running again. Mechanical things break down.

9w1911,

its ok ok to vent at times. I've used this place to vent and as a sounding board. Usually to the tune of good advice with a few equally grumpy pants wanting you to have a worse day than theirs.

Get your 550 fixed and all will be right with the world.

USMC87
04-10-2015, 09:44 PM
I have 550 and have always had good service out of it, It's a fine machine but I understand things can happen to any of them. Good luck with the fix.

Lloyd Smale
04-11-2015, 05:43 AM
if you cant get a 550 to run reliably its time to give up on progressives and go back to a single stage. NO PROGRESSIVE AT ANY PRICE is more reliable then a 550.

6bg6ga
04-11-2015, 07:49 AM
I guess a loader has to be smarter than the press he is trying to setup. I had a problem with my original square deal. Instead of whining about it I picked up the phone and called Dillon. They sent me out the parts I needed and the press never missed a beat after that. A 550 has to be the most user friendly press anyone could operate. I don't see the problem. My brother has 4 of them and they all function 100%. Sorry to say this but some should consider purchasing their ammunition instead to trying to reload. I have a 650 and its the finest loader I've had the privilege to own.