PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun chokes

pull the trigger
04-05-2015, 05:51 PM
I have a couple barrels I would like to have cut and threaded for thread in chokes. Who does it around here and what does it cost? Sorry if this is the wrong place. Move it to the best spot please. Thanks!!

triggerhappy243
04-05-2015, 06:01 PM
specifics would be a good start. may be cheaper to just get a replacement barrel.

bremraf
04-05-2015, 06:07 PM
I have no idea of his reputation but there is a guy on FleaBay that does it for $60.

ksfowler166
04-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I would look at Mike Orlen he will fit your barrel with chokes for $55 and has a good and extensive reputation. http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf

Boolit_Head
04-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Talk to Mike some barrels are to thin when cut for normal chokes and you have to use thin wall chokes.

Screwbolts
04-06-2015, 06:47 AM
More specifics would be good, you would probably get more response if you were to post in the Shotgun section , Gunsmithing section or Special Projects section.

Barrel wall thickness is important on the options that are available.

Gunworks of CNY is known to offer good service.
Ken

pull the trigger
04-06-2015, 07:03 AM
First one I want to try is a Mossberg 930 SPX. It is a cylinder bore now and I want to turkey hunt with it. Right now it really spreads the shot out at 20 yards. Its got peep type rifle sights on it that are really nice and i cant seem to locate a barrel at my cheep budget for it. So I thought this may be the way to go. I guess I need to measure it tho. I sent an email to Mike Orlen but immediately got a price list back and no answers to my questions. Guess I will try and call.

Screwbolts
04-06-2015, 10:50 AM
If it were I, I would really consider going to Fleabay and getting an old adjustable choke system and silver soldering it to the end of my barrel.

Ken

rking22
04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Almost any 12 ga barrel of recent(last 40 years) will be large enough for screw chokes. Old M12s and Superposed were frequently too thin, your Mossberg would be no issue. I have had several guns done by Mike Orlen and can recomend him highly. His work is on par with Briley at much more reasonable cost and turnarround time. 55$ for the work and I think that includes some chokes, then you can chose your turkey choke. I do not know the cost of replacement Mossberg barrels but suspect it is more than that, even used. I have an 18 inch 870 barrel with choke tubes, works well in the tight spots. A poly choke is a possiability but the increased dia bothers some people. Cost will be more than 55$ also.

Link to Carlson's info, they do very good work also:
http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-installation.php

MINIMUM OUTSIDE BARREL DIAMETER MEASUREMENTS FOR CHOKE INSTALLATIONS:

12 ga. lead shot and steel shot system

If looking at Rem chokes then : (from Carlson's page)

Remington Flush Choke Installation (12 GA ONLY)
Includes three flush chokes and 2 wrenches. (Min. OD of .875" required)

pull the trigger
04-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Lonegun1894
04-07-2015, 01:37 AM
I had a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel threaded for chokes at Rose Action Sports, and they did an excellent job with quick turn around time. I want to say I paid $50-60, but this was a few years ago so has probably gone up a bit like everything else.

dlbarr
04-07-2015, 02:08 AM
May I suggest a slightly different concept:

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke.htm

I had one put on a 12g barrel for my H&R. Chokes all the way from wide open (slugs) to x-full.