PDA

View Full Version : Loading Block

BrianL
04-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Had some free time AND the benefit of my wife wanting to learn Solidworks machine programming so I had her do some practicing with copying the design of a bench top loading block for centerfire cartridges. When I saw what I had for materials, I decided to expand the concept. As some of you know, I shoot at home and often have some grandkids around. Because of this, I tend to pre-load my powder in these little vials that I purchase from McMaster Carr. The small ones hold about 55 grains and the tall ones a little over 75. If loading for both rifle and pistol, it is easy to foolproof it by size. The caps are easy to remove from the cup due to no recesses in the container. The cups are Jif peanut butter 'On the go' serving size............frugal, no? The patch cup shows dry patches but I usually use straight olive oil.
The third cup is used for a small amount of water if bore mopping is needed or whatever lube you may use. Personally I usually use it for a second size ball or small amounts of shot for the 54 cal smoothbore Monkeygun. The kids love to see the cans jump.

In a pinch, it is a very stable loading block for centerfire cartridges..... http://traditionalmuzzleloadingcheap.com/forum/Smileys/default/hmm.gif

Duster340
04-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

aarolar
04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Good looking loading block what material is it?

BrianL
04-05-2015, 10:37 PM
The patch material was a special order Nantucket print twill that my local fabric guy set aside for me knowing what I use it for, Have more if you find that it works.

The block is a chunk of 2 x 8" that called to me (cause it was in the wrong place at the right time) stained with a Cherry stain from Track of the Wolf

dagger dog
04-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Frugal X 2. Nice idea ! May I copy ?

aarolar
04-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I was just fixing to email you about those patches you sent me I shot them today and they were just what the Dr. ordered. I put 5 balls in a inch and a half group.

BrianL
04-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Frugal X 2. Nice idea ! May I copy ?

Of course, PM me and I may be able to find the prints

BrianL
04-06-2015, 09:33 PM
The fabric store had a few yards of it last time that I stopped in. It seems to be just right with the .010 under ball in TC's (.440 in 45, .490 in 50 cal , and .530 in the 54). I have another material that is perfect in the .005 undersize ball. I can send you a yard or so in a small flatrate if you would like. I can't remember the price per yard but it is a big pile of patches.

dikman
04-07-2015, 05:59 AM
Only suggestion that I can make is to clamp it to the bench. If you're anything like me it would soon end up on the ground!!