PDA

View Full Version : Stripped threads in RCBS LAM 1

Mike67
04-05-2015, 12:50 PM
I recently bought a used Lube a matic at a local gunshow. Asked the seller if everything was in working order, "yes last time I used it". Got it home cleaned it up and finally decided to use it unscrewed the lube die nut after placed die in and the nut just catches on the last thread. When I ran the first bullet through as it came back up the die and nut come with it. Is this repairable or should I take as a learning experience and part the thing out for what I can get? By the way I've had a Lyman 450 for several years and never screwed up the threads in it. My guess is the unit was for sale because it was trashed, so much for a good deal.

Edster
04-05-2015, 01:12 PM
Call RCBS chances are they will fix it ---- NO CHARGE!!! Yes their customer service is that good.

mold maker
04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Is the damage to the threads in the casting, or the nut? The Professor makes a special wrench to avoid the problem in the future. If your lucky it is only the nut to be replaced.

Mike67
04-05-2015, 03:21 PM
I think its the casting because you can tighten the nut without a die in place. When the die is in place the shoulder of the nut does not bottom out on the casting. From the pictures I looked at it's not suppose to bottom on the shoulder with a lube die in place. This would indicate to me that the first several rows of thread in the casting are very worn or stripped. Thanks for the replies so far.

blaser.306
04-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Sounds like if need be, you could get by with a nut with a longer ( deeper ) threaded portion? Just enough to grab untouched casting. It might just save the sizer?

cabezaverde
04-05-2015, 07:13 PM
I had a Lam I that had the same problem. After discussing it with RCBS, sending photos, and ultimately sending it back, they determined the casting was not drilled properly. They sent me a brand new Lam II for free. I think there are a lot of Lam I's out there with this issue.

robertsm53
04-08-2015, 03:34 PM
RCBS Replaced my LAM I with a LAM II at no charge to me after I sent the I back with the exact same issues.
Great Customer service

country gent
04-08-2015, 06:26 PM
The Steel nuts threads are stronger than the threads in the cast iron. It soulds like at at some point it was cross threaded or pulled to tight and threads in casting are pulled out. While it can be fixed in several ways they can all be time consuming to accomplish and require machinery to do. I would start with a call to RCBS and see what they offer and lead time plus cost if any. Use this information to make a decission. As to repairing this unit its going to be some fancy set up and machining. The casting can be bored out over sized to dept of thread + .1-.200 and tapped to new threads. Then either a bushing made to fit nuts threads and locktited into place. Or a new nut made with same internal dimensions and new thread size to fit casting. You could also sleev the hole dioe section with a threaded bushing and reore for die and nut . This would also require drilling the lube pasages back thru and clearing everything. If RCBS is willing to fix it thats going to be the easiest and cheapest way

Mike67
04-13-2015, 11:53 AM
I called RCBS about the problem and was honest with them that I bought it used and the nut was threaded in the casting but would not thread with a sizer die in. I was told that it could not be repaired and that's it. So any recommendations to make this usable like maybe set screws through the casting to hold the die nut? If its going to cost a lot may as well buy a new one.

bhn22
04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Try finding a threading tap and cleaning up the threads in the housing. Failing that, it's either time to have a machine shop make an oversized OD nut, and rebore & retap the housing, or have a bushing made and installed.

blaser.306
04-13-2015, 10:24 PM
If you want to take some dimensions of the existing nut ( not certain they are identical to the Lyman ) I may be able to get a sample here as well , and what you need for extra depth. I would take a run at making a "custom nut" for you. Pm me if you are interested.

VHoward
04-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Or call up RCBS and ask them how much of a discount they will give you on a LAM II since they can't fix the LAM I.

ohland
04-16-2015, 06:50 PM
To me, RCBS is quite smart to pass on trying to repair this... The majority of the threads in the casting are dorked.

BUT... perhaps JB Weld or other steel bearing epoxy would work... slather the retention screw? with release agent, build up the bore of the threaded area with epoxy, then carefully screw the screw in, just finger tight, in order to catch the few remaining good threads at the bottom of the bore. Let 'er set up and hopefully the repair will be serviceable.

bhn22
04-16-2015, 07:12 PM
I'd think that having a bushing made would be the better approach. I'd thread it both inside and out, with the outside threads being left-handed if possible. Thread the inner threads to match the factory nut. Loctite the snot out of the outside threads with the high-temp stuff, and never worry about it again. This would be a great time to correct any misalignment between the die and the ram as well.

Or... you could do a total rebuild ala The Perfesser: http://web.archive.org/web/20120525005328/http://www.usi.edu/science/engineering/Lyman450/Lyman450LuberRebuild.htm

Mike67
04-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Well it's time for an update. At this time the casting, die nut, and a sizing die are at the machine shop my bosses kid works at. I asked him the other day about repairing it. He said, " yeah, no problem." Then when he actually saw the casting he got a little wide eyed but he works with some skilled veterans so he's gonna have them look at it. I'll let you guys know the outcome. In the meantime I want to Thank everyone for their input it has been greatly appreciated.

country gent
04-16-2015, 10:23 PM
If those old vetrans are skilled tradesman, it will be a challenge to them or a learning experievce for the bosses kid under thier supervision. Tell a craftsman it cant be done and they will find a way to prove you wrong. LOL... The housing can be bored out for a new sleeved bushing and it pinned screwed brazed soldered or pressed into place. The hard work will be setting it up square and true to do the actual work. Keep in mind RCBS has to figure cost of new machine against cost / hours to repair. A "goverment" job dosnt take this into account.

Mike67
05-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Today I got the new die retention nut from the machine shop. My bosses son determined that the casting had sufficiently good threads especially after the first two rows in the casting. He spun me a new nut of proper thread pitch just a bit oversize with a longer body and heat treated. Greased it up and threaded it in the casting smooth as butter. So in the end my LAM 1 was saved from the scrap pile. Again thanks everyone for their input.

MT Chambers
05-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Helicoil?? The Lyman will strip it's thread much easier then the RCBS.

Fishman
05-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Cool! I'd bet he could sell a few of those based on the number of issues on the net.

Geezer in NH
05-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Helicoil?? The Lyman will strip it's thread much easier then the RCBS.I would try that. Hard to believe RCBS did not help as they have gone way out to solve problems for me and my friends.