PDA

View Full Version : What is the best water proofing treatment for canvas possible bag?

waarp8nt
04-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Title says it all... I'm looking for a treatment for a canvas possible bag. I read in an older issue of backwoodsman magazine about water proofing canvas using a mixture of linseed oil, but have since lost the magazine when I moved. It required some drying time, but gave a nice brown tint. Anyone have the backwoodsman formula or any other ideas how to water proof canvas?

Outpost75
04-05-2015, 12:51 AM
For fifty years I have used Thompson's Water Seal on tents, etc.

longbow
04-05-2015, 01:18 AM
I would figure that linseed oil would gradually harden and start cracking but that is speculation on my part.

My first thought is the wax type coatings used on canvas coats and hats (oilskins). If you don't like it you can always boil it out or use solvent to remove it.

I am sure there are lots of other suggestions out there too.

Longbow

shunka
04-05-2015, 01:41 AM
I would advise avoiding linseed oil like the plague!
Linseed Oil plus cotton cloth = spontaneous combustion!

It does depend on how historically correct you want to be. Some folks use Thompson's waterseal, as I have on canvas tarps and tipi covers.
On personal items I have used sno-seal (for boots) brushed on and melted in with a hairdrier, and some folks use beeswax mixtures in a similar manner.

Hopefully another Hivernot with more memory cells than I have today will chime in shortly.

yhs
shunka

bedbugbilly
04-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Linseed Oil - boiled linseed oil - was indeed used for waterproofing canvas. I have used it a number of times when making "historically correct" canvas items such as bedroll covers, trail tarps (shelters), etc. I found the best method was to thin it down with turpentine and apply it with a paint brush. I would lay the item on the grass and apply a coat - then let it dry in the sun. Several coats will make a good waterproofing and while it "stiffens" the canvas - it is pliable.

BUT - while it is historically correct - for practical purposes it is DANGEROUS for general use. As already pointed out - BLO and canvas are both very flammable - and we all know you need three things for "fire" - source of heat to combustion temperature - oxygen - flammable material. That is why it is just plain "stupid" (in my opinion) to use that method for waterproofing. All it takes is a careless moment and a spark to create a disaster and injury. Even on a possibles pouch - under the right conditions you could have a portion of a patch with n ember blow back on you by the wind. You could get too close to a camp fire or have an ember from a camp fire fly on to it. "Historical correct" is fine but for everyday use - safety and common sense should prevail. You can make just as nice of a looking pouch by using natural dyes and a commercial waterproofing product that is fireproof.

Grendl
04-06-2015, 04:43 PM
http://www.filson.com/images/products/detail/69033-main-002.jpgYouY

You might want look at this , Filson been making this for years and people keep going back for more.

leeggen
04-06-2015, 08:40 PM
I beleive once the linseed oil is dry then a spark will not start it on fire and there won't be a big poof and flames start to roll. Most linseed oil fires, which now days are few, came from using linseed oil and discarding multiple rags in a trash container or in a big pile that with the right conditions could start on fire and some did. JMO
CD

slim1836
04-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Google "CAMP DRY". I used it on a painters cloth that I used for primitive camping and it worked well for me.

Slim

waarp8nt
04-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Gents, thanks for the replies and opinions. I will venture away from linseed oil if it as any chance of contributing to an already flammable hobby. A potentially flammable bag with the additional hazards of a powder flask, primer flask, flints and caps doesn't sound like anything I want to throw over my shoulder while setting around the camp fire. Let alone store in my home. I truly glad asked as I had no idea linseed oil was that combustible as a finished product.

I have a Filson wool coat, very good quality, but pricy. I was lucky enough to get it on sale, price was a whole lot more agreeable on my budget at $125 than the original price of $475. That being said, I bought a used Filson waxed canvas vest from my friend and it came with a can of the wax finish. I will likely use it to be on the safe side.

Minerat
04-06-2015, 10:51 PM
How about mink oil or neets foot oil?

Or this link

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?237131-Making-Oilskin-and-Treatment-of-Existing-Oil-Skin-Dusters

beroen
04-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Just get rid of the pilgrim purse problem solved

beroen
04-08-2015, 02:27 AM
But if you really like it I had some good luck turning some ripstop nylon pants into some ski pants with that spray waterproofing stuff in a aerosol can

waarp8nt
04-08-2015, 07:40 PM

"pilgrim purse" LOL! Never heard it called that.... LOL!

Beagle333
04-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Another vote for Camp Dry. That stuff is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B00QVL2L5E

doc1876
04-08-2015, 09:31 PM
I also use Thompsons on almost everything. it does a wonderful job on tents, and I use it on my steel toed boots for work

beroen
04-09-2015, 01:23 AM
Another vote for Camp Dry. That stuff is great.

http://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Camp-Heavy-Water-Repellent/dp/B00QVL2L5E
Yea that's the stuff a few Coates on a pair of rip stop nylon pants and I got through 6 days of snowboarding without a wett butt.

Czech_too
04-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Just recently I read an article in one of the local rags, aka 'newspapers'. Couldn't find it just now, naturally, so instead of that...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-waterproof-clothing-and-about-anything-else-/

fishhawk
04-12-2015, 01:27 PM

flatlander

William Yanda
04-12-2015, 02:26 PM
I once saw a recipe for waterproofing that called for canning wax-paraffin-dissolved in gasoline. Cautions included doing it outdoors and using a hotplate, avoiding open flame as a heat source, and having a lid to cover the container and smother flames.
Once BLO is dry, the danger of spontaneous combustion is past. Spontaneous combustion occurs when rags, damp with BLO, are abandoned, not in an air tight metal container. The drying action produces heat, sometimes enough to start a fire.

bubba.50
04-12-2015, 06:33 PM
there was a recipe on yahoo today for just such a thing. stir 1/2 of a 2.8 ounce tube of clear silicone into 1 quart mineral spirits then shake til well blended. paint whatever ya need waterproofed & let dry. the demo showed it used on a back-pack. says it will even work on canvas shoes.

luck & have a good'en, bubba.

beroen
06-08-2015, 01:55 AM
flatlander
Yourn better watch yer top knot

Fly
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
I have done this in the past & it works very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOJXHOHt2A

Fly

Geezer in NH
06-09-2015, 04:30 PM
WAX, being PC

OverMax
06-09-2015, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't use any of that paint store stuff. Even Neatsfoot oil has a undesirable long lasting smell as does the prior paint store stuff. And again silicone needs to be reapplied often to maintain its water resistance. I would want a odorless product. A wax containing product would be good like (Snow Shield.) No stink no smell no cracking but it sure does water proof. Melt a can and paint it on sparingly is my best guess for its application. But its your possible's bag. Use what you consider to be the right water-proofer for your application.

dagger dog
06-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have the recipe for airplane dope for fabric on the wings etc., they also used it on wood and canvas canoes. It will probably contain linseed or neatsfoot oil used to thin the paint, might be a little stiff, I've read about painted fabric for haversacks, and gaiters.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Isn't Thompsons water proof just beeswax in a mineral sprits carrier?

Fly
06-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Isn't Thompsons water proof just beeswax in a mineral sprits carrier?

No & Thompsons is & has been rated as on of the worst. I had a pop up camper with canvas slide outs. I have no

idea how much Thompsons I put on it & never sealed it. There are many better products out there. Google waterproofing
reviews as I can't remember the one I ended up using, but it beat Thompsons hands down.

Fly

Petrol & Powder
06-10-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm fully aware of Thompson's ratings. I'm asking what's in Thompsons?

fouronesix
06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
I'm fully aware of Thompson's ratings. I'm asking what's in Thompsons?

Here's the info on Thompson's
http://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=THOM&prodno=21802

Petrol & Powder
06-10-2015, 09:17 AM
So Paraffin (wax) in a solvent (a carrier). The carrier evaporates leaving the wax.

crossxsticks
06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
maybe a marine canvas used for boats and pop up campers , boat tarp covers would make it water proof nuff check at a upholstery shop i bet they got canvas all ready water proofed and colored if want, without putting any goop on it my self i would want it plain old 100% white cotton and leave it like that .

Geezer in NH
06-16-2015, 06:59 PM
I beleive once the linseed oil is dry then a spark will not start it on fire and there won't be a big poof and flames start to roll. Most linseed oil fires, which now days are few, came from using linseed oil and discarding multiple rags in a trash container or in a big pile that with the right conditions could start on fire and some did. JMO
CDFew? I went through the yuppie period of the late 70's -late 80's as a fire investigator/FF at least 6-7 fires per year were do to that in a city of 600,000.

I wipe BLO of a stock and the rag goes on the ground in the driveway until it dries then picked up the day it go's to the dump/recycle center then it's their problem.