PDA

View Full Version : AR issue

LUCKYDAWG13
04-04-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm have a issue with my Son's AR that we just built if we shoot steel case bullets Harter's tula the case will stick in the chamber
and will not eject sometimes to the point where i have to hit the stock on the ground wile holding the charging handle back. my reloads
work just fine i would like it to eat anything he feeds it any suggestions on how to fix this

warboar_21
04-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Does the steel cased ammo have a lacquer coating on them? My friend was having problems with extraction and it turned out to be due to the lacquer. He switched to a different type of steel cased ammo and the problem went away. Now he never had one stick so bad that He had to "Mortar" the weapon. So there could be another issue. I would try a different ammo first and see if it continues to do it.

country gent
04-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Do a chamber cast of the chamber and compare measurements of chamber to some fired cases. Since its working with other ammo I dont think it the chamber. Does the offending ammo show any pressure sighns? Is unchambering a round of this ammo sticky or stiff? Check neck wall thickness on those cases and bullet dia combines to the neck dia of the chamber cast. (neck thickness X 2 and bullet dia gives loaded round dia.) Look at chamber cast for what may appear rough areas or better is use a bore scope to look for rough neck surface. Also check case length of offending cases to length of chamber cast. Long cases may be wedging into lead or throat.

lefty o
04-04-2015, 09:16 PM
some AR's just will not run with steel cased ammo, some never have a problem with it. if it runs good brass cased ammo, the cheap russian ammo is the problem.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-04-2015, 09:32 PM
some AR's just will not run with steel cased ammo, some never have a problem with it. if it runs good brass cased ammo, the cheap russian ammo is the problem.

ya i was thinking that too i dont know if this will help or not but i chucked a brass 20ga brush up and cleaned the chamber up with it
not that i like the cheep ammo but i like the option that it will run anything. will give it a go next weekend
thanks for you input

bremraf
04-04-2015, 09:35 PM
In all my frankenguns Ive run steel cased no problem, but I've heard that some of the finer quality ARs won't run combloc ammo as their tolerances are too tight. Clean the chamber real well, and slow down the rate of fire. See if that helps.

Dhammer
04-05-2015, 12:41 AM
Get a lot more rounds through it and several cleanings. Then try a diffent lot of the Tula. My guess your issue will have resolved itself. You can try some JB bore paste in that chamber during one of cleanings too. You didn't mention any barrel details either.
If it were to persist a good barrel maker or company that sold it, will make it right as well. Providing its not a match chamber.

dkf
04-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Try some Wolf WPA, Tula is some of the worse steel cased. All my ARs run fine on Wolf and Tula.(mid length gas, T2 buffer and M16 BCG) Some guns do not like the steel cased though, some get better after the gun gets some rounds on it. If you are running a heavier buffer like an H or a H2 you could drop a carbine buffer in and see if there is any difference.

wildwilly
04-05-2015, 02:58 AM
You did not disclose what your son's AR was chambered for. Generally a barrel chambered for 5.56 NATO should not show issues with steel cased ammo.

NC_JEFF
04-05-2015, 07:07 AM
My Bushmaster Varmint in 5.56 jammed on the first and only Wolf steel case I ran thru it. Lacquer wasn't the issue as this was a first time fired with steel event. My bolt lugs failed to fully unlock because there was some very fine particles interfering with it. Lots of Kroil and soaking in time and I was able to work the bolt back and forth with a wooden dowel. I don't know if those particles were steel shavings that may have come from the Wolf bullet or if by coincidence the stoppage occurred on that round. I had just fired 40 flawless brass cartridges prior to that. At any rate I gave those to my son in law for use in his single shot 223 where they work fine. Feed it what works.

tomme boy
04-05-2015, 08:50 AM
The coating has absolutely NOTHING to do with why the steel sticks. It is the steel case period on why it sticks. The steel does not contract back far enough after being fired like brass does. Thats it!

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2015, 09:04 AM
You did not disclose what your son's AR was chambered for. Generally a barrel chambered for 5.56 NATO should not show issues with steel cased ammo.
this is the barrel http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56-nitride-barrel-prod71313.aspx
and i did switch his BCG to see if that was it but that didn't help maybe its just not broke in ? only put 40 rounds of the steel ammo
through it as a single shot some times the bolt would stick vary tight some times just a snug tight. but would not eject the steel case
ammo at all only my reloads would cycle shot 100 or so of them and didn't skip a beat

bremraf
04-05-2015, 09:37 AM
Yeah I'd say its the tight chamber. Like someone mentioned earlier steel doesn't seem to contract back as easily. Besides you can reload good ammo for the price of steelies!

garym1a2
04-05-2015, 12:37 PM
I would look into the barrel, everyone on the Brownells link you refer to gave the barrel poor reviews and they discontinued it. All my AR's run fine on steel case.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2015, 02:25 PM
I would look into the barrel, everyone on the Brownells link you refer to gave the barrel poor reviews and they discontinued it. All my AR's run fine on steel case.

yes i saw the reviews wish they were there when they had there black Friday sale when i bought it. so at this point it is what it is if it just needs
to be shot more to break it in great if not no block ammo for it

osteodoc08
04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Polish with JB bore paste and break it in before trying again. It's also a possibility that the steel ammo is out of spec. If you have a case gauge, see how it fits.

My Sig 716 was a bit finicky at first. After 100 rds and some thorough cleaning, she runs like a top with all my handloads. The first issue was that the chamber was dirty so I cleaned it up and polished with JB bore paste. The BCG was also bone dry when I got it so it got a thorough cleaning and dousing with RemOil. After that she was GTG.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Polish with JB bore paste and break it in before trying again. It's also a possibility that the steel ammo is out of spec. If you have a case gauge, see how it fits

i just dropped one of the steel case rounds in my gauge it fits just fine and falls right out when i turn it over i will clean and polish with JB bore past
i think i still have some if not i will pick some up my range is 68 miles away so it will be about a week till we can try it out
thanks for all the help

aspangler
04-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Most if not all the tula I have fired have been what you might call on the hot side. Local indoor range banned Tula ammo of all types after some of it blew up a couple of guns.

dkf
04-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Usually indoor ranges don't allow Tula, Wolf and other steel cased ammo because of the steel jacket on the bullet.

aspangler
04-05-2015, 07:48 PM
This one don't care about the steel jacket or core. It can stop a 50 BMG. Saftey issue with the "hot" Tula ammo.

osteodoc08
04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Most if not all the tula I have fired have been what you might call on the hot side. Local indoor range banned Tula ammo of all types after some of it blew up a couple of guns.

If it's blowing up guns it was either fired out of battery or something seriously wrong with the ammo or bore obstruction. Even slightly higher pressured (+p if you will) shouldn't bother a modern weapon to the point of "blowing up"

aspangler
04-06-2015, 10:32 AM
If it's blowing up guns it was either fired out of battery or something seriously wrong with the ammo or bore obstruction. Even slightly higher pressured (+p if you will) shouldn't bother a modern weapon to the point of "blowing up"
What I have shot (not much after feeling the recoil) was way hotter than +P. They have a 40S&W empty over there that broke the slide stop and came apart in three pieces ( the cartridge not the slide). Most people I have talked to at the local outdoor range don't like the Tula because it is so "HOT". You see very few Tula empties laying around that range. Maybe we just got an unusually hot load of ammo in the area. All I know is that most people around here try to avoid using the Tula.