PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 8# SR4756?

Themoose
04-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Answering a post earlier today got me thinking, and that can be a problem in itself... anyway, I'm going down a path most of us will get to if we stay around long enough... age and medical issues have begun to eat away at what I like to do and enjoy... seeing the not so rosy future and how I need to adapt, started me into thinking about some of the things that I will probably not use ... I have been casting and reloading 12 ga slugs for at least 30 years and now find that is coming to an end...my favorite load for the Lyman 525 was powered by a healthy load of SR4756... learning of its demise, I was fortunate to get an 8# jug at a LGS...Now, I'm not sure what to do with it... I don't really want to try to sell it over the internet and have the hassle of shipping it, and I'm not sure what other uses there are for it in pistol/rifle applications...anyone have any experience with selling or trading unopened powder at LGS or gun shows? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TheMoose

Alan in Vermont
04-04-2015, 03:28 PM
If you had your location listed you might get an offer to buy from someone close enough to make it a face-to-face deal.

Should you happen to be near VT I might well try to scrape the funding together to make that happen.

Themoose
04-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Alan,
Sorry, I live in south central PA...sometimes I wish I lived in VT...

Le Loup Solitaire
04-04-2015, 11:51 PM
4756 although popular for use in shotgun shell loading is an excellent powder for use in some pistol cartridges. I have found it to work very well for me in 45ACP. You might try to sell it on Craig's List or privately. Check with Midway or MidSouth shooter's Supply for current pricing. LLS

Treeman
04-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Llots of good pistol uses for 4756. Just passing the word that you are willing to sell it should find a buyer.-I'd happily buy an unopened can for full retail price and would buy opened from a trusted source. I would buy opened powder cans from an unknown source if the price was low (i'd inspect before using and start low)

sandman228
04-05-2015, 04:51 PM
imr4756 user here located in central pa . pm sent

Geezer in NH
04-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Profiteers get what comes around. Sorry but use it up for what you shoot.

wallenba
04-05-2015, 07:56 PM
It's popular with trap target loads. Visit a local trap/skeet range, put up a flyer and try to sell it.

Themoose
04-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions...they are genuinely appreciated.

TheMoose

dragon813gt
04-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Profiteers get what comes around. Sorry but use it up for what you shoot.

That's really uncalled for. The OP has health issues. Seems that he bought it to use and will no longer be able to use it. That doesn't sound like profiteering to me.

Themoose
04-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Forums are not the best means of communications and it is difficult to get all parties to reach the same understanding from printed words. I take no offense for being called a "profiteer" . I know that I am not a profiteer, as I do not plan on seeking a profit... someone has approached me on the powder and I only asked for what i paid for it...I'm not even sure that I will sell it, perhaps I can trade it for something that I will actually use. ...the last year has been a little bumpy health wise, but I'm not giving up completely... just facing reality of getting older and losing the ability to hunt like I used to.. I bought the 8# jug never thinking that I would not use it...it would load over 1200 rounds of 12 ga slugs for me... I don't think I will be needing that amount, but I still have another 2 or 3 pounds that I am planning on keeping that will load all that I will ever shoot...Right now I am starting to regret posing the question in this great forum.

Budzilla 19
04-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Moose,if I was still in West Virginia, I would take a day off to come get this powder from you! But, being about 1200 miles from there now, kinda impossible! I feel sure someone close will help you out! How about it forum readers?? Help a fellow out?

runfiverun
04-06-2015, 11:28 AM
4756 has other uses besides shot shells.
I use it in my 45 colt and it works very well in that application too.

Bill*B
04-06-2015, 11:58 PM
In my 3" barrel .38 Special, 5.1 grains of 4756 under a 173 grain Keith SWC chronographs at 715 fps, and is accurate.

I don't know what the pressure of this load is, but assume that it's right at the SAAMI limit.