PDA

View Full Version : Murrays Australian Beeswax?

texaswoodworker
04-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Is this stuff any good for lube? It says its 100% pure, but its kind of creamy and soft and is scented. Walmart carries it.

birddog
04-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Ingredients listed as petroleum jelly, beeswax and perfume. It is a hair jel. If you would like nice smelling boolit lube it sounds great!
Charlie

Beagle333
04-04-2015, 10:47 AM
The first ingredient listed on the side of the jar is Petrolatum, followed by Select Australian Beeswax, and finally Fragrance... so this product is 100% pure Australian... and it also contains wax.
Misleading labeling.

bangerjim
04-04-2015, 12:10 PM
YES! read the label. Most of the contents are petro-garbage. Very little beeswax in there. If you really REALLY need beeswax, go to a Woodcraft Store locally or contact RandyRat on here for his excellent wax and lanolin.

Forget trying to find it PURE enough in cosmetics and commercial products on the shelf of your local 99 cent store or drug store.

Bigslug
04-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Is this stuff any good for lube?

You need to be shooting a left-hand twist barrel south of the equator.

runfiverun
04-04-2015, 01:26 PM
don't be too quick to judge it's potential.
the petrolatum part may be of more value than you realize.

some pretty good lubes are nothing more than B-wax and petrolatum with maybe an addition or two.
chargars lube and my simple lube both use that combination.

bangerjim
04-04-2015, 01:30 PM
You need to be shooting a left-hand twist barrel south of the equator.

There's ALWAYS one in the crowd!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmyl2: :2 drunk buddies:

texaswoodworker
04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
you need to be shooting a left-hand twist barrel south of the equator.

LMAO! :D m

texaswoodworker
04-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Hmm, I need the real stuff for Black Powder lube. :/

I may just order some from Randyrat in the next couple weeks. There's not a Woodcraft store here, and I doubt anyone else around here sells it.

What's in Beeswax that makes it so good for boolit lube? Could some other wax be used instead?

Ausglock
04-04-2015, 05:54 PM
You want Aussie Beeswax?
How many tons you want?
My mate runs his Honey business and has heaps of it.
I use it for fluxing and waxing saddlers thread.
It is a dark brown due to mainly eucalytpus trees being the donor blossom for his bees.

randyrat
04-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Real pure beeswax is unique in it's ability to absorb and trap, fatty oils and petro oils, many different waxes and hold them even in heat.. Unless you overload beeswax then they may bleed, but beeswax will hold to more extremes than petro waxes will. Of course, there are some exceptions, but then your cost can out weigh the benefits.

bangerjim
04-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Hmm, I need the real stuff for Black Powder lube. :/

I may just order some from Randyrat in the next couple weeks. There's not a Woodcraft store here, and I doubt anyone else around here sells it.

What's in Beeswax that makes it so good for boolit lube? Could some other wax be used instead?

Bee's "sweat & tears". There never has been anything invented by man that has all the complex molecular chains that beeswax has. I know of no substitute for it when you want the REAL thing! That is the only wax I use for a lot of stuff, not just gun stuff! Just order some from RandyRat.

banger-j

runfiverun
04-05-2015, 04:07 PM
it's mostly made out of alcohol esters.
it's main attribute versus a paraffin wax is that bees-was has larger pores to hold larger droplets of oil.
it also has a higher melt point than parrafins and doesn't go from a solid to a liquid instantly like a parrafinic wax does.
there are micro-waxes that have different attributes than the paraffin waxes have, and there are paraffin waxes with melt points much higher than bees-wax has.
beeswaxes big point is that it is actually quite consistent in its make-up and how it behaves from batch to batch and from region to region.
it may smell different, or be a slightly different color but even a higher form of refinement doesn't change all the parameters you look for in a lube base.

looking at a lube wax [carrier for the oils] can get super confusing until you learn to pick out each ones attributes and contributions to a matrix of the whole.

edctexas
04-06-2015, 09:46 PM
Bees wax is great in lubes and for reducing (fluxing). RandyRat has a good product and is fairly priced. I'd like to try Aussie Bees Wax from down under! It probably is not any different than the wax around here. Local bees seem to want more $ than RandyRat's bees :-P.

Ed C

Beagle333
04-06-2015, 09:58 PM
I traded a feller out of a couple of pounds of beeswax he says was from a killer bee's hive they found.:holysheep
I'm gonna use that in my BP hunting boolit lube!!! Maybe it'll make the boolits more aggressive.:D

(True!, that he professed that, and still maintains that is where it came from. No, I haven't shot any of it yet.)