PDA

View Full Version : First NOE RG Mould

TXGunNut
04-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Yes, it's simply awesome. I jumped in on the GB of Ranch Dog's interpretation of a good hunting boolit for the 300 Savage and for good measure I decided to order the RG (hollow /cup point/FP) option. Awesome little machine. It arrived in my POB yesterday and due to pressing engagements I wasn't able to pick it up until today.
WOW! I have a few (OK, several) NOE moulds but the RG option is pretty impressive. As many of you know, a NOE mould is a work of art. An RG mould is another step above, simply awesome.
I've got taxes and lawn work scheduled for tomorrow and I'd love to be scrubbing my new mould and running it thru some heat cycles. Can't wait to fire up the pot and learn to use this new mould but it will have to wait.

DrCaveman
04-04-2015, 12:45 AM
Yes they are damn nice moulds. Well crafted, nice finish

I am only speaking from experience of the one single RG2 that i have, but echoing sentiments put forth by many members here.

My advice is to perform the heat-up/cool-down cycles suggested by NOE. And, make sure the mould is nice and hot (im sure you already knew that).

To me, the pin heat takes care of itself and no particular attention needs paid toward heating them. If mould temp is good (after confirmed by a few good pours) then pins are good too.

A dab of sprue lube like synthetic 2-cycle on the pins (and sprue plate) do not seem to hurt anything. Which means that they help me a lot

Yodogsandman
04-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Tx, you're really going to like it! Just last week received the NOE 313-150 RG2 for the 7.62x39 and only wiped it out with alcohol and put a very little amount of STP on the hinge pin and sprue plate with a Q-tip. I pre-heated the mold on the hot plate and started making boolits. First cast was perfect! The faster you cast, the hotter the pins get and the boolits will just fall out when you open the mold. Be ready to re-tighten all the screws after about 25 casts, they loosen up after a little bit, at first. I did also have to stop after about 200 cast to clear a spot of lead that formed in the pin channel, causing the mold to not close fully. Good luck with yours, I don't think it'll be your last RG2!

BTW, I haven't shot any yet, I've got to do taxes too! I HT'd some and double tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and then with Ben's Liquid Lube. I also ESPC'd a bunch with Smoke's yellow/green powder, very impressive looking!

TXGunNut
04-04-2015, 11:32 AM
Couldn't help myself, gave my new mould a good soap & water scrubbing a little while ago. Figured I had time for one heat cycle while I enjoyed a cup or two of coffee and a few posts. Timing almost perfect on this GB, just about to finish up three other projects and have been looking to this one since last summer. Pieces are falling into place quite nicely, even picked up a nice supply of cases and 3031 powder since that Savage followed me home.
Question is, which pins? HP pins are in place and will have to try them just for grins but I think the cup points will give me the expansion and penetration I'm looking for. Guess there's no reason I can't run the mould with two of each. This is going to be fun...someday.

popper
04-04-2015, 03:00 PM
You got 10 days before taxes are due, go ahead and treat yourself to some casting.

SciFiJim
04-04-2015, 09:49 PM
One of the things I found out with my RG molds is that I have to slow down my tempo. When casting hollow points, I was ripping out the side of the nose when emptying the mold. I found that if I wait about an extra 10 seconds before dumping, the noses don't rip.

35 shooter
04-04-2015, 10:50 PM
I think your gonna love your new rg mold although i do find myself tapping the handles to get mine to release more often than i like. My regular noe molds drop boolits the second i open the mold. My rg mold seems to be a bit harder to keep in the right temp zone compared to the others but i love being able to make a hollow point and flat or cup point with each cast.
Even though mine is a bit stuborn, it's still my favorite mold to cast with. It is one versatile mold!
Like you, i think the cup point is going to be an awesome hunting boolit.