PDA

View Full Version : Q on new Lee mold

soldierbilly1
04-03-2015, 01:49 PM
I just got a new Lee mold from Midway. It's a 358 TL 158 gr six banger.

Real nice, it has the alignment pins, which to me, the jury is still out on. I dunno whether I like them or not.

It also has a different vent line arrangement, big bold circular, the vent lines are wide and deep.The boolits drop like rain, unlike my other Lee molds. Pretty cool, even on a new, unbroken in mold. I used no matches to carbon up the cavities. wow

Did the new (??) vent lines make for this improvement? Hats off to the Lee research staff!

Billboy

Maven
04-03-2015, 06:27 PM
I purchased that mold last April, but it casts beautifully in spite of the absence of the new vent lines.

2wheelDuke
04-03-2015, 07:30 PM
I understand that the 6 holers had those style alignment pins the whole time. My 1st molds that were my own were Lee 2 cav that had the old style V and notch for alignment. I like the new style better, but mostly use 6 holers now if I use Lees.

I have the older style of that same mold, and it also casts nicely. I got the 6 holer because that boolit did so well for me in the 2 cav. I got the full wadcutter 6 banger later on, and I'm not sure which I like best for my .38's since they both do so well. Then I also load the Ranch Dog 95gr WFN's in .38's for plinking, and those also shoot really well.

tazman
04-03-2015, 09:39 PM
I understand that the 6 holers had those style alignment pins the whole time. My 1st molds that were my own were Lee 2 cav that had the old style V and notch for alignment. I like the new style better, but mostly use 6 holers now if I use Lees.

I have the older style of that same mold, and it also casts nicely. I got the 6 holer because that boolit did so well for me in the 2 cav. I got the full wadcutter 6 banger later on, and I'm not sure which I like best for my .38's since they both do so well. Then I also load the Ranch Dog 95gr WFN's in .38's for plinking, and those also shoot really well.

The newer Lee 6 cavity molds have gone from the old straight sided, round nosed pin to a conical that seems to line up easier and bind less.

coffeeguy
04-04-2015, 09:36 PM
Vent lines contribute to proper fill-out; boolit release has to do with the cavity machining, casting temperature and alloy composition...I've got some Lee molds which drop boolits as soon as they're opened, and some which always need a little persuasion...I just use a gloved finger to ease them out in that case. I've been lucky with some of mine that work perfectly out of the box and after a shot of brake cleaner. Enjoy!!1