PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the LNL AP control panel?

SeabeeMan
04-03-2015, 01:06 PM
I've been drooling over this thing for a little while and with my Midway birthday pricing I can get the Deluxe for $159.99. Some of the features are a bit unnecessary, like the powder level or primer level. It's not that hard to see the primer level and a piece of tape on the fiberglass primer rod is a pretty good warning. I do like the primer slide warning and electronic powder cop, though, as well as the fact that it adds a counter, primer slide warning, and 12v plugs for my lights so I won't have multiple power bricks.

The drawbacks I've read are that you have to give the primer slide alarm a moment and that slows down your pacing. This is a non-issue for me as my SOP is to lean lightly against the arm to seat primer consistently while I fill the empty brass into station 1. This also makes me pause for a moment to focus on what is going on and the feel of how that primer just seated. I've also read that some prefer the RCBS powder cop as it actually locks up the press. I've also read that the PTX expanders don't work well with cast. Are there custom ones out there that do a better job with cast?

So here's my tally:

Pro: Counter, primer slide warning, 12v plugs, and the fact that I'm a tech geek.

Neutral: Powder and primer level warning

Con: RCBS Powder Cop might be more effective, need to run PTX in my measure to open up a station.

Does anybody have any experience or advice, especially when it comes to the powder cop and PTX system with cast bullets?

noylj
04-04-2015, 05:17 AM
1) PTXs work great. The standard PTXs work as well as any other company's standard expanders--they are likely to be too small for over-size cast bullets, but I never had an issue with them. Hornady, at least, does make cast-bullet PTXs, unlike Lee and Dillon. I prefer the Hornady powder measure over Dillon, but quite often run a Lee Pro Auto-Disk. Part of the problem for some is that they aren't flaring the case mouth enough, since EVERYONE warns about over-flaring. Since I have never lost a case to over-flaring and I have found that many times over-flaring eases the bullet seating operation, I simply give the case enough flare to actually improve bullet seating. Hearsay is not evidence.
2) RCBS Lock-Out die works great and all my Dillons and Hornadies have them. They are so sensitive (probably too sensitive), I sometimes think I could set the powder metering system with one (i.e., I run mine unlocked, as different cases have slightly different capacities, and I can easily turn the die a little to verify that it will allow the case to fully go up the die. So far, every case that locks up and only needs a very slight die twist has had exactly the correct powder charge)
3) I don't like complicating a system any more than necessary

Ranger 7
05-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Have used the Hornady Powder Cop for quite awhile now and like the safety check it provides (I agree, a bit of a pause for checking is good).
Upgraded to the PTE and no problems so far (I cast my own bullets, no jacketed).

mongoose33
05-17-2015, 11:22 PM
I originally looked at the Powder Cop and realized I'd have to watch it just like watching how much powder was in the case. This before the "control panel."

Then I stumbled onto the RCBS Lockout Die, which checks the powder in the case and if it's not very close or right on, locks up the press stroke.

I had to use a powder-through expander to open up a station for the Lockout Die and chose the Powderfunnels universal PTX. It's great.

I will not use my LNL progressive without it. Early in my reloading career I had a couple of squibs, and realized I wanted something bulletproof to check. The Lockout die is it.

I like the LO Die so well I have one set up for 9mm, another for .45, and just bought two more on sale from Midway.

I know the original question was about the control panel, but I can see when powder gets low, I have a follower in the primer tube w/ a little flag on it to tell me when primers are low, and that's about all I need.