PDA

View Full Version : New Kansas Concealed Carry Law Passed

edler7
04-03-2015, 12:39 PM
http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article17223761.html

Kansas updates CC law. No permit or training required.

fryboy
04-03-2015, 01:20 PM
not a bad article considering the source ( wichita flea/fleece and beagle - a liberal bastion in an otherwise conservative region ) sadly many of their sheeple swallow their leftist tilt entirely too much...
ol' sam signing it was a foregone conclusion , he said he would if it made it to his desk ( with or without the training part that they had been haggling over )
the funny one was when old kathleen signed the one allowing us silencers , she detested that but it was tacked onto a bill she really wanted
erm also funny was when they ( current state gov. ) made municipalities come into compliance with state laws regarding gun rights ( oh how the leftist cried over that :P )

richhodg66
04-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Good news.

edler7
04-03-2015, 01:24 PM
No permit CC, silencers, switchblades...all legal !!!

*sarcasm on*
The streets will run red, I tell you ! RED !!!
*sarcasm off*

fryboy
04-03-2015, 01:30 PM
red ... sure beats black and blue ( or dead ;) )

richhodg66
04-03-2015, 01:55 PM
I've been living in Kansas about 20 years now give or take and love it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is people here tend to have good, solid values. More so than anywhere else I have lived. I really don't think this is gonna change Kansas very much for good or bad, but I do think it reflects a great mindset of people here to trust its citizenry and for folks to be self reliant.

dilly
04-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Good! I like Kansas, except for the plains.

DougGuy
04-03-2015, 02:03 PM
In other news, "how to run a movie theater out of business." Cut off the popcorn? I don't think so. Ban Rasinets for fear someone might choke on one? Maybe. More like maybe not. Ban firearms inside the theater, taking away citizens' Constitutional rights? Bingo.

edler7
04-03-2015, 02:36 PM
I've been living in Kansas about 20 years now give or take and love it for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is people here tend to have good, solid values. More so than anywhere else I have lived. I really don't think this is gonna change Kansas very much for good or bad, but I do think it reflects a great mindset of people here to trust its citizenry and for folks to be self reliant.

I was a lifetime resident of Colorado. Things there got so crazy I packed up and moved next door to Kansas 3 years ago. The mindset here reminds me of the Colorado I grew up in. A lot more of that trust and self reliance I had been missing in Colorado.

In other news, "how to run a movie theater out of business."

Not it Wichita. That guy has the theater market cornered here. He can do what he wants, I won't darken his theaters doors.

TXGunNut
04-03-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm a little iffy on the lack of a training requirement. Good people with good intentions sometimes do bad things if they don't know how to properly react in a bad situation. I've been legally carrying for almost 35 years now, most of that as a LEO, I'm also one of the very early Texas CHL's. Some of the best training I got was in a CHL class. I fear that an untrained person may set a good movement back a few steps with a bad or even questionable shooting, that's all it will take. I wish you the best in KS, just hope you know what you're doing.

MtGun44
04-04-2015, 01:06 AM
When I was on the subcommittee writing the training regulations, shooting test
and written test (I wrote all the questions with one other member) I did some serious
research about other states. About half the states had training required for CCW
permits, and the other half had no training requirement. Zero difference in
bad shootings by CCW folks.

Sounds entirely reasonable, but like "they will have shootouts over parking places" and
all the other BS claims of the antigunners, it does not stand up to reality -
decades of actual people really carrying guns with and without state mandated
training.

SHOULD people get training? Of course, I have paid for many training classes,
but it does not show up in any measureable statistics. Perhaps because a lot
of folks who carry do pay for their own training, but also because "law abiding
citizens" are just that, and the reality is that most folks are more sensible as a general
rule than most people give "the average idiot" credit for.

Reg
04-04-2015, 09:08 AM
On one hand I applaud what Kansas has just done but on the other had I wonder how it is going to effect reciprocity ? Prior, one with a permit could carry in Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska. Each state respected the other state's licensing system. Some states, New Mexico for instance did not like how Colorado conducted their training ( or for what ever other reason ) and did not recognize the Colorado issued permit. Now that Kansas has eliminated the training altogether will other states that require training now recognize the Kansas person in their state ?

ffries61
04-04-2015, 10:09 AM
The training hasn't been eliminated, if you want to carry in other states under the reciprocity laws, you still must have a valid license and have taken the required course, the new law only applies in state. That's why I'll keep my license regardless.

Fred

MtGun44
04-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Fred has it right. Essentially all states, with the exception of Vermont,
that have Constitutional Carry have kept their normal permit system in place
so that their citizens who travel to other states can have a permit to show
in those states. AFAIK, only Oklahoma has made an exception where citizens
from Const. Carry states can carry in OK by just showing their "government
issued ID" (typically DL) to prove that they reside in the Const Carry state.

Vermont is the exception because they were the only state that resisted the
1800s antiweapon hysteria (originally primarily focused on knives) that made
carrying a concealed weapon illegal. Vermont (one report says because of
the particular wording of their state constitution, not sure about that) did not
ever remove the original Constitutional Carry freedom that all states originally
enjoyed and now a few are FINALLY returning to.

Check out the Wikipedia page on "Constitutional Carry" - it has a lot of info on
what various states are doing in the arena. Const Carry seems to be making
great strides.

Actually, I am quite amazed at the near total collapse of the antigun forces in
Kansas, and in many other states as well. Seems that after decades of hysterical
news articles predicting massive amounts of violence if ordinary folks were
given back their right to carry a concealed firearm, they had pretty much poisoned
the well - when it did not happen, they had no other arguments.

A significant portion of the people opposed to loosening concealed carry regs
were not antigun, but were genuinely convinced that the hysterics were right
and there would be a big upsurge in shootings over parking places and such.
When it did not happen, these folks shrugged and went on, and are no longer
willing to believe the antigun hysterics. Each year and each decade that we
have large populations of ordinary citizens going armed daily, we build an
unassailable database of hard proof that the 'fear the average person' concept
is wrong.

When I worked many years for CCW in KS, I occasionally told some of my
closer friends that I was working for it for two reasons. The first was the obvious
reason that there will be times when a good guy stops a crime because he/she
were able to be armed. This is an unalloyed good thing.
BUT the second, and even then I said it was more important to gun rights in the
long term, was that each year that we have many thousands of ordinary citizens
carrying guns and bad things do not happen, we bury the lies of the antigun
hysterics deeper and deeper under a crushing mound of facts - that honest
citizens CAN be trusted and are safe and reliable in the overwhelming majority
of the cases.

Here we are only 8 years after KS got a concealed carry system, and we were
able to switch to Constitutional Carry with almost zero pushback from the
antigun folks. A few short articles interviewing the Brady campaign with a few
silly comments about "it will not make us safer to have more guns on the street",
and that was it. Passed the first time and will be the law in a few months.

We are slowly, but surely undoing the antigun laws of the past.

There are still a few states where the crazy antigun folks are in charge, notably
NJ and CA, with around 6-8 more that are nearly as bad, primarily in the northeast.
I never thought that Illinois would have concealed carry, but they do.

We are winning - but I still feel for the folks in CA and NJ.

MrWolf
04-04-2015, 10:56 AM
It is almost impossible to change the mentality in NJ. You would think since we have a Republican Govenor with a bully attitude that more would be done, but he gas had his eye on the White House for a long time.

Don Purcell
04-05-2015, 08:12 AM
"The streets will be running red with blood!" the liberals cry. What they really mean is the blood will be coming from their own voting base not from the honest gun packing citizen who's vote they won't have anyway.

dragon813gt
04-05-2015, 08:35 AM
I'm a little iffy on the lack of a training requirement.
No requirement here and there are no issues due to the lack of it. Most responsible people get training. And remember that a lot of us grew up shooting our entire lives. Any form of paid training requirement is a hurdle to exercise your constitutional right.

As much as I don't believe what I hear in the LGS. Most of them tell new shooters about training. They explain they should get it and where it is. In this case they're being very responsible.

richhodg66
04-05-2015, 10:48 AM
"SHOULD people get training? Of course, I have paid for many training classes,
but it does not show up in any measureable statistics. Perhaps because a lot
of folks who carry do pay for their own training, but also because "law abiding
citizens" are just that, and the reality is that most folks are more sensible as a general
rule than most people give "the average idiot" credit for."

Amen, Brother.

edler7
04-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks for your input, guys. Come July, I hope things don't get real interesting...

Schrag4
04-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your input, guys. Come July, I hope things don't get real interesting...

Things did not "get real interesting" in the other states that passed Constitutional Carry in recent years/decades. As someone who lives in KS, I can tell you that KS isn't the kind of place that will buck that trend. Constitutional Carry does not mean that prohibited persons can carry a gun - those are the people that are A) already carrying today, illegally, and B) who are committing the crimes. I don't see this change in the law increasing that population in the slightest, but I do see how those prohibited persons might think a third or fourth time (they were already thinking twice with CCL in place) before trying anything funny.

I know I'm preaching to the choir...

dilly
04-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Things did not "get real interesting" in the other states that passed Constitutional Carry in recent years/decades. As someone who lives in KS, I can tell you that KS isn't the kind of place that will buck that trend. Constitutional Carry does not mean that prohibited persons can carry a gun - those are the people that are A) already carrying today, illegally, and B) who are committing the crimes. I don't see this change in the law increasing that population in the slightest, but I do see how those prohibited persons might think a third or fourth time (they were already thinking twice with CCL in place) before trying anything funny.

I know I'm preaching to the choir...

Most of those people would probably rather be in CO or MO anyway.

edler7
04-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Constitutional Carry does not mean that prohibited persons can carry a gun - those are the people that are A) already carrying today, illegally, and B) who are committing the crimes.

Far be it from a measly law to slow down a dedicated criminal...