PDA

View Full Version : Colt Commander 1911 ID questions.

Alexn20
04-03-2015, 10:17 AM
First, allow me apologize in advance for my ignorance regarding this topic. I have never owned a 1911 and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of variations out there.

My father acquired a Colt Commander 1911 on trade. The frame is stainless and the slide is blued. All parts are Colt but appear to be from bits and pieces. I am curious how I can properly ID the parts. I basically want a to find out what I have here.

I have poked around on the internet trying to find answers but have not found matching info. The Colt identification site did not have a match either. I hope the combined knowledge here will guide me to answers.

The frame looks identical to the below picture but the stamp begins with a BOXXXXXX. I cant find any other info on this. Anyone know what the "BO" stands for? I first thought it was 80 but the stamp is definitely BO.

The slide does not have any serial number stamps that I can find. Am I missing something? It looks like this:

Also the barrel has "Colt 45 auto" stamped on it but I am not able to see a serial #. Is this normal?

Where are the stamp/ID/serial number locations? I find it odd the individual parts are not serialized other than the frame and barrel bushing.

Thank You in advance!
-Alex

Silver Jack Hammer
04-03-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't own any Commanders but I have three (3) Colt 1911's 5' bbl's. The only serial number on my Colt's is on the frame. Dissimilar metals between the frame and slide was a popular fad a while ago, something about the two different metals working with each other created a better function. I never thought much of the theory but your gun should work well with a Colt's slide and Colt's frame of two different metals.

I'll bet if you just get to shooting it, it's work great. If there are any problems we can tackle those as they come along and any issues that do come up will not be from the two different metals.

Take a camera with you to the range and take pics of malfunctions you may have and post them here. The first thing to change is a recoil spring, and it is also the cheapest and easiest to change. Another source of problems is inferior magazines. These two issues do not bring with them a bill at the gunsmith and no not require you to part with your gun.

As long as nobody tinkering with it beyond 1911 specs you'll be in good shape. If it was taken out of spec hopefully it'll be easily remedied. The one thing that drives me nuts is when somebody that doesn't know what they were doing files on the feed ramp. Other than that your probably starting out on a good road to having a successful shooter.

Wondering what you've got is always an issue whenever any used gun is newly acquired.

DougGuy
04-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Colt made a lot of "distributor exclusive" editions for places like Lew Horton's which have several commander models made to their specifications so it was not unusual to see the two tone guns and if it was a distributor exclusive, those often have their own serial number scheme. Post pics of yours so we can see better what you have.

Serial numbers are generally only found on the receiver, but Colt did number slides to frames at some point, because I had a 1943 made 1911 A1 GI issue that was numbered 6 digits (found behind the firing pin stop) and matched the frame. I do not know the exact date period that they did this but it probably stopped sometime during WWII production and was never resumed.

Alexn20
04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
I'll get a picture in a couple days when I get over to my Dad's place. Thanks for the info thus far.

MtGun44
04-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Lock the slide back, flip the gun over and look for a moveable plunger
on the rear underside of the slide. If it has one (or a hole where it
was removed) it is/was a Series 80. Without it and it is a Series 70
or earlier.

The barrel marking is normal, as is the lack of SN on slide.

Alexn20
04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Finally got over there and took a few pictures. Educate me!

Thanks in advance. I am lucky to have a community like this at my fingertips.

MtGun44
04-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Looks like SS frame. I have not seen a factory SS/blue Commander. Sights are
aftermarket, both front and rear. What does it say on the left side of the
slide? Series 70 or Series 80? Short trigger, std safety and grip safety,
arched mainspring housing.

ou can have change to along trigger, or an extended thumb safety of various types, extended beavertail type grip safeties with and without the bump to help ensure disengagement, and a flat mainspring housing. Each has a cosmetic
and/or functional difference - depending on hand size and preferences. This one
is the pretty basic "old school" type. Nothing wrong with that, but some prefer
different ergonomics.

Other than the mix of metals (which is a really good one) and sights it seems like
a normal, garden variety heavy Commander. The original Commanders were
aluminum frame, now called the "Lightweight Commander" and the steel
framed version was designated as the "Combat Commander".

I carry a SS lightweight Commander every day, and have for 8 years. Good
gun, most are very reliable although I like the lower weight for carrying.

Series 80 (see my previous post) has some extra parts and can have a bit worse
trigger pull and occasional reliability issues due to the drop safety "Series 80"
parts. Series 70 are simpler and more reliable, typically have a slightly better
trigger pull.