PDA

View Full Version : Lock-N-Load™ AP Question

terryt
04-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Hi:

For you that have an Lock-N-Load™ AP press what do you like the most and the least about it?

Would you recommend it to a friend?

Thanks,

Terry

dilly
04-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Most: bushings and powder measure.
Least: priming system.

I have had enough trouble with mine that I would get a Dillon if I had it to do over again.

Three44s
04-03-2015, 12:13 AM
I am sticking with my LNL progressive ...... no feeders yet.

I am the opposite .... the priming system has a it's quirks but I like it on balance.

The bushings tend to work lose ....... you have to watch them. Perhaps a bit fatter O-ring might help.

What drew me to the Hornady LNL was the comparitive selection of calibers for a lower price ......

I run a lot of calibers and did not want just a pistol progressive press but rather a press that if I felt like it ....... I could do magnum rifle ....... albiet with spherical powders or '06 or .308 or whatever suited me.

The Hornady was the hands down choice for flexibility.

Every brand has it's strengths and weaknesses.

I find that a steady smooth and not overly fast pace wins with it.

Best of luck deciding!

Three 44s

ozarkhillbilly49
04-03-2015, 01:11 AM
love mine. did have to get a new style primer seater punch. the punch itself is designed and machined differently. that really helps with the punch hanging up on the slider and causing havoc with the priming system. when the machine is tuned correctly it runs like a champ. just remember when you start down with the handle and you feel resistance stop!!! most likely the primer seater punch needs to be lubed and cleaned a bit. also check to see if your shell plate is loose. i highly recommend adding a 3/8 internal starlock under the shell plate bolt. there are numerous videos on you tube to help you tune the lock and load. and yes fatter o-rings help keep the bushings locked.after a little study and darn little fiddling and fussing a lnl ap will chunk out nice shells at a decent rate. hope this helps. best wishes!!

04-03-2015, 01:21 AM
I wanted a progressive I could load everything I shoot on if I chose. 32swl to belted mags with quick and easy change over. The LNL-AP will let me do that.
Still haven't added any feeders yet but production is OK, not quite as fast as my Pro 1000 on pistol ammo but nicer to use.

TheCelt
04-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Most: quick caliber changes
easy to change primer size
doesn't require anything more than a shell plate/dies to swap calibers
powder system is bulletproof and accurate
Least: As mentioned, primer system. Runs well but does require that you pay attention to it

I have the LNL AP, Dillon 550B and Dillon 650. The LNL AP is a fine progressive and I use it as much as the others. Each has it's "quirks" and all are fine machines. Dollar for Dollar you can't go wrong with an LNL AP.

SeabeeMan
04-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Most: Quick caliber changes (just the shell plate and maybe primers...5 minutes)
The ability to leave dies in the bushing for even faster setup
Throw in a micrometer seating stem and some good notes and you can really get going quickly.
Pretty much impossible to double charge unless you start monkeying with the system.
Primer system
The ability to expand it. Case feeders, bullet feeders, and electronic control panel with 4 sensors, lights, Inline Fabrication tray holders, etc. You can almost make it a Dillon 1050 (fewer stations and no crimp swager) but at your own pace and funding.

Least:
I don't know about other presses, but you have to pay close attention to the primer seating phase to make sure you feel one go in. I've had more than one case go around dump powder under the shell plate because it didn't get a primer. No primer is a whole lot better than a squib or a double charge, though.

Bohica793
04-03-2015, 11:47 AM
I just upgraded to one from a Lee Classic Cast Turret. Chose the Hornady over the Dillon primarily for price (Both initial and caliber changes) and expandability. I have not been disappointed in the least.

sparky508
04-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Seems everything about the LNL is easy. Caliber changes, the powder measure, priming system (after polishing), operation is all easy. The only thing I don’t like about my LNL, is that damned 5th station and tall cases, like .223, is that they tip. Not a big deal with pistol as usually this is for crimping, but if I could fix one thing, that would be it. (Some tape under the retention spring, helps here or a guiding finger.)

I haven’t gone through a bunch of the springs like I have heard folks have problems with. My pawls have stayed adjusted for the auto advance only set them up in the beginning and probably never needed to fart with em anyhow. I did have to polish the sled for the priming system and it does need to be kept clean but it runs great.

I have a 1200 trimmer so I can process .223 on it in bulk, 1000s at a time, the press gets used a lot and is holding up fine. I have loaded many thousands of rounds of 9mm and 45 ACP, and even done plinking .223 loads on it. If a measure would throw Varget I would load all my .223 on it!

It’s been a great press and I would buy one before I got home if mine was stolen this morning.

Sig
04-03-2015, 12:26 PM
The bushings tend to work lose ....... you have to watch them. Perhaps a bit fatter O-ring might help.
Three 44s
I had the same thing with the powder measure coming loose. I called Hornady & they sent me shim washers to use with the "O" ring. So far it's been a winning combo.

firewhenready7
04-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I have the Pro and the single stage and I love them both. Once in a while I have a problem with the small primer punch. Clean it out and I'm back in business..Like someone already said, if you feel resistance, STOP..

1911KY
04-03-2015, 02:10 PM
I have no buyers remorse on my LNL AP, it makes quality ammo very quickly. It does take some adjusting to get your priming system working flawlessly, but once it does, it runs great. (Watch the Bill Morgan video's on youtube)

The powder measure drops accurate, consistent charges and it is easy to pull of the press to empty your excess powder back into your original container.

The bushing setup is great, it allows me to have two different bullet seating dies setup for different bullet types so I don't have to worry about consistently adjusting my seating die.

I would love to try a Dillon press, but I wasn't interested in spending that much cash for a XL650.

terryt
04-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Hi:

Thanks for all the reply's.

Terryt

Three44s
04-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Sig,

Hey, thanks for that tip on getting shims from Hornady!

Best regards

Three 44s

Oreo
04-04-2015, 04:17 AM
I love mine. I truly believe it to be the very best press compared to everything less then the Dillon 1050 and that one positively sucks for cartridge conversions.

I really dislike the fact that if you forget to prime a case you get powder under the shell plate. This is not a big deal if I'm loading pistol rounds but if I'm trying for precision rifle rounds that powder under the shell plate acts like a shim and throws off the seating depth, the crimp, etc. The only real way to correct the issue is to pull off the shell plate and dust it off.

noylj
04-04-2015, 04:57 AM
Hornady: like--bushing system, ergonomics, openness, ease of cartridge conversion, inexpensiveness of cartridge conversions. When I got the press to replace my old worn-out Hornady, I thought the bushings were a gimmick. One use, and I ordered to packs of 10 bushings.
don't like--primer system. Powder measure is very top heavy (great powder measure and more consistent then Dillon an doesn't lead) and, if the o-ring in the bushing isn't a very tight fit, the measure will work loose. Had it happen once, replaced bushing, and never had problem again. A shim cut from a soda/beer can will also work. Heard Hornady had a shim they would send to anyone with a problem.
Dillon: like--warrantee. RCBS, Lee, and Hornady have been just as good, but they don't have it in writing. Other than that, they are just presses like all the rest.
don't like--primer system, ergonomics (doesn't place the charged case directly in front of me for easy inspection and the cases load from the right so I have to have a case collator or I have to place a case in the case feeder with my right hand or I have to stand up every 20-25 rounds to fill the plastic tube--much prefer loading cases with my left hand if I don't want a case collator), compactness (everything just seems so cramped and hard to get at), time for cartridge conversion, cost of cartridge conversion
I have never found a progressive press with a really good primer system. The Dillon 1050 has been the best, but it has its problems still. The only main problem with the Hornady has been not getting the primers seated below flush. This takes either a bit more force to accomplish or a shim under the shell plate. Hornady has supposedly improved this, but I haven't upgraded.
If you need a case collator, get the 650 (plus collator) or 1050. If you need a case collator and you have a lot of military rounds that need the primer pocket crimp removed, get the 1050. If you don't need a case collator, get the Hornady.

fng
04-05-2015, 06:29 AM
Here's a fairly objective and detailed comparison LnL AP vs 650
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

rodm1
04-10-2015, 05:45 AM
Bill Morgan on Youtube has a grate video series on trouble shooting the LNL press. It seems like these will solve lots of the problems I haven't tried them yet but they are encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA&list=PL3gouk-e0H8HX-PN_XXgjMDfKnpUUmZ4H

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbDpKbI0k60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Tkr2VNhfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnV7DRyg9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0V8rWcy00c

mallc
04-10-2015, 06:48 PM
I have 650 and a couple LNL APs. After I filed a few thousands off the primer sleds the LNLs a
have been very consistent. I have to say the LNL are more flexible but make ammo about 1/2 the rate of the 650. also have to say that the cost difference for caliber changes - depending on your choice of dies and dedicated powder measure is not that much different. If I have to make 500 or less rounds I use an LNL. more than 500 I change over the 650.

Scott

Ranger 7
04-19-2015, 11:34 AM
The only two problems I had with my Hornady LNL AP was the Priming and Ejecting systems.
Upgraded to the EZ Jeck system and the new priming system. Not a problem since. (Have been using Hornady Progressive presses since 1985, and would not change)