PDA

View Full Version : Gone Savage!

Three44s
04-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Well another lever followed me home ...... I am going to have to quit going to town!

I went totally "Savage" this time! ...........A Savage 99 in .300 Savage

About 10 years ago my wife and I went over to a baseball game in Seattle and after the game and the following day we started perusing gun stores over there in liberal land.

One that was recommended was a store called "Wade's" in Renton WA.

While I was oogling the class III stuff at a safe distance ....... I also looked at a model 99 in 300 Savage.

For the past several years since looking at that specimen .......... I have been thinkin' some more on the subject.

I am no stranger to the model and one of my first centerfire rifles was a 99 takedown in .250-3000. Being young and naive ...... I let it go because it had a headspace issue. A close family friend had TWO of them ........ I kept the more used one and let a near mint one go to a friend ....... big mistake ....... the two rifles were priced to me at a paltry price of just $40 each .... mind you .... this was 1974.

I should have kept them both and let the friend find another deal.

The guy later got into drugs, God only knows where that rifle went .... and the guy is likely fish food ..... I kid you not.

Life's lessons

I also have a 99E in .243 Win. that's quite a shooter!

Well, the day I went and snagged the waffle top Marlin (.35 Rem) at a local Cabelas ...... I also stumbled into the Savage that I just added.

It looks to be a 24" barrel and the serial number specs out early 50's. It is also D&T'ed like my new to me Marlin waffle top. It has a Leup. turn in one piece base. I bought a set of low rings and mounted a Weaver 4x Marksman I had laying around.

I just happened to have some brass and a set of dies.

This evening, I loaded up a few test rounds with a powder many of you have likely not heard of or have forget about ...... Reloder 11 .... it's been out of production for perhaps 45 years .... maybe longer.

I have only shot at 25 yards and got it centered up pretty well. Tomorrow ....... we will "do 100"

I have some and access to some other 30 cal. molds and I believe some GC boolits .... and particularily PC'ed may be a good venue but for now, it's about getting the rifle rung out as the store I bought it from has a 10 day grace period on used ...... it does not work and they say they will fix it .......... But for time sake, I went with the Win 150 PP (J-word).

I was pleasantly surprised at the comparitively light recoil. I like it a lot!

Best regards

Three 44s

35 Whelen
04-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Congrats! Those are such sweet rifles and I've always wanted one. Please keep us posted on how it shoots.

I have a buddy who has a 99F(?) in .243 and I really like it.

A few years ago when I was making annual elk hunting trips, I came real close to having a 99 re-bored or re-barreled to 338 Federal. I think that would be a really sweet elk rifle.

35W

Three44s
04-03-2015, 11:25 PM
35 W,

If you don't have one, maybe you better close your eyes before you read the following and the bug over takes you!

I fired my Savage up again this evening with a continuation of the load development from last night.

A old set of load tables listed a 150 gr. J-word and this old powder I am helping a friend clean up (Rl 11) and a max of 40 gr. with a start of 10% under.

My charges this evening were 38.0, 38.5 and ran out of light after firing 39.0 gr.

At 38.5 I had two shots in one hole and a flyer of say 2"

At 39.0 gr. I had three shots at .530" ...... that's with a 4x Weaver Marksman scope and a trigger you could stir fresh concrete with.

I don't know what primer these cases were primed with as they came to me sized and primed already from another source .... not with the rifle. I do have the RCBS dies that sized them however.

To call me a happy camper would be an understatement. I believe I am very lucky and am hoping this rifle is a hum dinger with lead ..... I will find out at the first opportunity.

Best regards

Three 44s

richhodg66
04-05-2015, 12:23 AM
I have several 99s and love them. My .300 Savage is an EG model, seems to be the most common variant and caliber. Seems like the serial number check said made in 1950. It's the slickest one I have, feeds and cycles like glass and points so naturally it's almost spooky.

It's a pretty good cast shooter too. It likes bot the 31141 and the Ranchdog bullet. I have a Lyman peep sight on it. NOE just recently ran a group buy for a short 165 grain variant of the Ranchdog bullet designed especially for the .300 Savage. I have one coming and am interested in seeing how it shoots, but I have found the short neck of the cartridge isn't nearly as big a deal as everybody says it is.

TXGunNut
04-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Just getting re-started on my 300 Savage project. NOE just did a run of a Ranch Dog mould for the 300 Savage, ordered the RG version w/ GC's and I'll be seeing what my 99 can do in a few weeks.
Sounds like a nice rifle, well worth a trip to town IMHO.

gnoahhh
04-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Yep. Once you taste "Savage" you never go back to Remlins!

Three44s
04-05-2015, 08:58 PM
richhodg66,

Mine seems to be a '51 or '52 according to the serial number but it's not very slick on lock up ..... I thought that perhaps they were made that way ........ pretty abrupt really.

I have a E model in .243 I was going to dig out and cycle ....... (it's been lonesome lately) ......... to compare ...... but I also wondered if my new to me 300 Savage had very little use?

But above all else, if there is a critisim ....... it's my trigger.

From what I read, the creep is bred into the design ....... not going to get that changed. The overly stiff pull .... if it could be lessened ........... would help immensely. The kind of grouping I saw last evening really has me hoping for a better trigger outcome. The potential blows me away!

I just figured that with the short neck of the .300 Sav and also just finding a '52 Marlin in .35 Rem ....... I could find solace in casting for it (the .35) and pretty much sticking with J-words in the Savage ..... but the more I search here on the Boolits forum ..... the more I see some VERY good results in casting for the 300 as well.

What a BONUS!

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
04-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Just getting re-started on my 300 Savage project. NOE just did a run of a Ranch Dog mould for the 300 Savage, ordered the RG version w/ GC's and I'll be seeing what my 99 can do in a few weeks.
Sounds like a nice rifle, well worth a trip to town IMHO.

Thank you! I feel real blessed to have landed this Savage ....... it sounds like you are lining up for some great shooting with yours!

A friend of mine and fellow member has a group buy of a .30 mold he recently bought ........... I think it was for his M1A1 in .308? And between him and I ....... we have several other .30 cal molds to try ........ I have several Mosins to try feeding as well ........ so we are already pretty invested in .30 cal ....

............ it's gonna get interesting ..... I suspicion!

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
04-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Yep. Once you taste "Savage" you never go back to Remlins!

I think the closest I came was an '04 Rem 700 ........ and my Marlins are all 1980 or older ......... I think I have missed that "virus" ........ LOL!

I'd hate to have to chose just "one" .......... JM Marlins, Winchesters or Savages and old shool Remingtons for matter .........

Just time seems to run as a head wind to getting around to all these personal projects!

Best regards

Three 44s

nekshot
04-05-2015, 09:21 PM
99's, you either love em or hate em! For years I have desired a pistol grip/stock 99 in rough condition(meaning a very good price) that I could play around with a 20 inch barrel and restock it into a mannlicher forend. Saw one somewhere and never forgot how neat it looked.

richhodg66
04-05-2015, 10:10 PM
The E models, as I understand it, were post one million serial numbers, after which most 99s went to the tang safety. I presume to use up existing parts, the E models still had the trigger safety, which I happen to prefer. The E models also don't have the counter on the side of the receiver, no big deal to me. There may be other differences as well.

My old 99EG in .300 turned out to be a good hunting rifle with the 311041 and 28 grains of IMR 4895 and a tuft of dacron.

TXGunNut
04-05-2015, 11:25 PM
99's, you either love em or hate em! For years I have desired a pistol grip/stock 99 in rough condition(meaning a very good price) that I could play around with a 20 inch barrel and restock it into a mannlicher forend. Saw one somewhere and never forgot how neat it looked.

Funny thing, I bought my 95% gun for less than the last several "well used" specimens I encountered. Savages aren't very well thought of around here and that's just fine by me!

Three44s
04-07-2015, 12:37 AM
The E models, as I understand it, were post one million serial numbers, after which most 99s went to the tang safety. I presume to use up existing parts, the E models still had the trigger safety, which I happen to prefer. The E models also don't have the counter on the side of the receiver, no big deal to me. There may be other differences as well.

My old 99EG in .300 turned out to be a good hunting rifle with the 311041 and 28 grains of IMR 4895 and a tuft of dacron.

My old takedown that I allowed to slip away had the counter ....... my much later "E" in .243 does not ........... but this early 50's in .300 Savage does have it .......... I missed it ........... glad to have it on the .300 but it sure would not be a "deal breaker".

So far, all my Sav 99's have been old school safety's.

Best regards

Three 44s

Three44s
04-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Funny thing, I bought my 95% gun for less than the last several "well used" specimens I encountered. Savages aren't very well thought of around here and that's just fine by me!

Well I just can't get over some people looking down their noses at them ........ but whatever keeps the prices on more common variations of the '99 Savage from going through the roof .........

.......... well, it just leaves more rifles for the more savy of us!!

The only major thing I would like to have different is the trigger ....... it's shooting way better than I expected and WAY better than I needed for my purposes ......... I understand that the long pull is necessary from doing some searches on this forum ........ but if it was lighter ....... and somewhat smoother ....... that would suffice.

Best regards

Three 44s

reivertom
04-07-2015, 12:46 AM
I just recently got into the Savage way of thinking with a model 99F made in 1966 in .243. It is a slick shooting rifle. I am hooked, and might need another one some day.

TXGunNut
04-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Well I just can't get over some people looking down their noses at them ........ but whatever keeps the prices on more common variations of the '99 Savage from going through the roof .........

.......... well, it just leaves more rifles for the more savy of us!!.....Three44s

Couldn't agree more but I've only recently acquired my first Savage and I didn't understand Marlins until about 15 yrs ago. Haven't acquired a Rossi yet but it won't be long. May even warm up to a Henry someday but I'm not holding my breath.
We all have our tastes and prejudices. If the guy who purchases and prices used guns at a gun store I frequent doesn't share my feelings towards a particular rifle it works out well for me. His ignorance is my bliss, so to speak. ;-)

Three44s
04-08-2015, 01:17 AM
I just recently got into the Savage way of thinking with a model 99F made in 1966 in .243. It is a slick shooting rifle. I am hooked, and might need another one some day.

They kind of multiply .......... kind of like rabbits but more expensive ......... LOL!

Slick to shoot and slick to carry ......... most of them are affectionately called "grey bellies" cause the bluing is worn off the bottom of the receiver .......

I really like the Remington 760 ....... it's a very slick action but the grey belly of the Savage is tops for hand fit and no slide parts to rattle as in the Remington pump.

Have fun with your current '99 and good luck on your next one(s) ......... !

Three 44s

Three44s
04-08-2015, 01:25 AM
We all have our tastes and prejudices. If the guy who purchases and prices used guns at a gun store I frequent doesn't share my feelings towards a particular rifle it works out well for me. His ignorance is my bliss, so to speak. ;-)

That reminds me of the day I strolled into one of my favorite shops where I find bargains.

A fellow ahead of me spots a barely used stainless Rem 700 and starts oggeling it ........... I find out it's a 7mm RM ... he's talks the shop owner into taking the rifle into the back to verify that it has the old school trigger ........ and it does .......

........ at the last minute he turns his nose up and walks away ........

I check with him that he has in fact not interested ........

I ask a few questions and do my run through with it .........then I buy it.

Now several months later, I bring it out and start developing a load ........

........ as I ran up the charges .......... and got near the top end ......... it delivered three ...... three shot groups @100 yds of .450" back to back .......

Another rifle came out of the safe and it went in.

Three 44s