PDA

View Full Version : Need help on firearm shipping question

Steve Steven
04-02-2015, 09:12 PM
I own an AR15 type rifle that I loaned to my Son-in-law in a different, non-contiguous state. He now wants to return it to me. It is too far to go get it. How can he ship it to me? UPS, USPS, FedEx? FFL to FFL? Person to person?

I realize this is more than one question, but I am not sure of the answers. If more details are needed, I can provide them, such as the states involved.

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

Steve

M-Tecs
04-02-2015, 09:19 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=651375

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons#shipping-firearms-additional

Steve Steven
04-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Thanks, M-Tecs, those links are very good.

Steve

DCP
04-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Must go to FFL
Some FFL wont take shipments from non FFL

no person to person

Long Gun can go UPS, USPS, FedEx

MtGun44
04-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Just curious - anyone have a preference of carrer for shipping long guns?
If so, why?

Thanks.

DCP
04-04-2015, 10:52 AM
https://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who residesin a different State?
Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibitedfrom transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the Statewhere the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer afirearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must beshipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State ofresidence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completionof an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can beobtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov andhttp://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides anexception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms forlawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow afirearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers offirearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition byintestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearmto a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

dragon813gt
04-04-2015, 10:54 AM
UPS on my end. Real time tracking and they pay out for an insurance claim. The FedEx hub is further away but I would use them. USPS is a big no unless I'm mailing a letter.

DCP
04-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Just curious - anyone have a preference of carrer for shipping long guns?
If so, why?

Thanks.

Generally USPS is the Cheapest about $20 to $25.

DCP
04-04-2015, 11:00 AM
http://www.speedeedelivery.com/

Speedy Delivery

Is a good alternative if they are in your area

waksupi
04-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Just call the BATF directly, and ask them. It used to be legal to send firearms to other family members, no matter what state they are in. Considering how often they change regulations, it is best to go directly to the source. They have always been helpful on the phone for me.

snowwolfe
04-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Surprised no one mentioned this before.

A person is allowed to ship a long gun from himself to care of himself without using an FFL. I think the rules state the person shipping must be the one who opens the package at the other end.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

Iowa Fox
04-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Whose name is on the 4473 for the S/N? Thats the first question here.

Duckiller
04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
What Snowwolfe said is very true. There is one problem.` Fed Ex and UPS will not ship it for you,to you. USPS won't ship guns unless you hold an FFL. Not sure how you ship a gun to yourself if none of the major shippers will handle it.

freebullet
04-04-2015, 05:38 PM
I won't use ups ever again. They are worthless and I hope they fail.

waksupi
04-04-2015, 06:17 PM
What Snowwolfe said is very true. There is one problem.` Fed Ex and UPS will not ship it for you,to you. USPS won't ship guns unless you hold an FFL. Not sure how you ship a gun to yourself if none of the major shippers will handle it.

The USPS is not supposed to know if a firearm is in a shipment. They are not supposed to ask. Told me by the BATF, Minneapolis/St. Paul office.

Steve Steven
04-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks to the help from here, we have a method determined and the rifle will be returning.

Thanks

Steve

Thin Man
04-06-2015, 09:37 AM
The USPS requires "PS Form 1508", dated April, 1994, for dealer firearm shipments. This form must be submitted on every individual firearm shipment and states on top "This form can be only be used by manufacturers or dealers of firearms." The document gathers the date and location when the package is presented for shipping, the address it will go to, then the shipping company's name and the signature and title of person presenting the package for shipment. USPS keeps this form when they accept the package. Waksupi is correct that BATFE strongly advises to NOT place any marking on the outside of the package to identify the contents. If the form is not submitted, I suspect USPS would be less than happy to settle insurance claims for lost or damaged contents. So much for dealers. I recall that USPS will not ship handguns for private parties, long guns can ship but that is a topic best checked at your local office for "cooperation". Hard for me to recall all their current allowances, have held the FFL for 34 years and had little reason to ask.

A few years back a USPS clerk gave me a stern "look-over" and inquired whether I was a licensed dealer. Yes, I was dressed very casual, as usual, should have worn my After 6 Dinner Tux. For a moment I thought she was going to ask me to produce an FFL copy, but she backed down and accepted my verbal declaration. Then last year I took a long package to the UPS hub where the clerk also inquired about my business status. She commented they were now asking to view the FFL for all dealer shipments. Since I didn't have an FFL copy with me at the time we spoke a few minutes about how they routinely delivered to my business premises, etc, etc, so she backed down. As for both USPS and UPS, I am willing to display my FFL for them (now carry a copy with me "just in case", but will flatly refuse to allow them to copy the form or demand I leave a copy with them. If they are so concerned about their employees' conduct with packages marked with the contents on the outside, I am equally concerned about their employees retaining a copy of my FFL. Fair play for all.

DCM
04-06-2015, 10:49 PM
IMO I would ship the upper and lower separately, the upper is Not a firearm by definition and could be shipped without any concern at all.
The lower Is a firearm, I would ask BATFE or ...
This way neither package would scream gun, please steal me nearly as much.

xtphreak
04-06-2015, 11:07 PM
The USPS requires "PS Form 1508", dated April, 1994, for dealer firearm shipments. This form must be submitted on every individual firearm shipment and states on top "This form can be only be used by manufacturers or dealers of firearms." The document gathers the date and location when the package is presented for shipping, the address it will go to, then the shipping company's name and the signature and title of person presenting the package for shipment. USPS keeps this form when they accept the package. Waksupi is correct that BATFE strongly advises to NOT place any marking on the outside of the package to identify the contents. If the form is not submitted, I suspect USPS would be less than happy to settle insurance claims for lost or damaged contents. So much for dealers. I recall that USPS will not ship handguns for private parties, long guns can ship but that is a topic best checked at your local office for "cooperation". Hard for me to recall all their current allowances, have held the FFL for 34 years and had little reason to ask.

A few years back a USPS clerk gave me a stern "look-over" and inquired whether I was a licensed dealer. Yes, I was dressed very casual, as usual, should have worn my After 6 Dinner Tux. For a moment I thought she was going to ask me to produce an FFL copy, but she backed down and accepted my verbal declaration. Then last year I took a long package to the UPS hub where the clerk also inquired about my business status. She commented they were now asking to view the FFL for all dealer shipments. Since I didn't have an FFL copy with me at the time we spoke a few minutes about how they routinely delivered to my business premises, etc, etc, so she backed down. As for both USPS and UPS, I am willing to display my FFL for them (now carry a copy with me "just in case", but will flatly refuse to allow them to copy the form or demand I leave a copy with them. If they are so concerned about their employees' conduct with packages marked with the contents on the outside, I am equally concerned about their employees retaining a copy of my FFL. Fair play for all.

I'm laying here in a Motorhome surfing on my tablet so I don't have easy access to look this up for you but it's actually illegal to mark any shipped package that contains a firearm, I looked it up one time few years back. It used to be in a different title of the United States Code then the typical guns section.
That includes anyway you ship it as well as if it's going on airline as checked luggage.
Seems like what you quote is about the Postal Service form 1508 is just for dealers and manufacturers, not for individuals. I'd say research the mail regulations.

xtphreak
04-06-2015, 11:13 PM

I'm laying here in a Motorhome surfing on my tablet so I don't have easy access to look this up for you but it's actually illegal to mark any shipped package that contains a firearm, I looked it up one time few years back. It used to be in a different title of the United States Code then the typical guns section.
That includes anyway you ship it as well as if it's going on airline as checked luggage.
Seems like what you quote is about the Postal Service form 1508 is just for dealers and manufacturers, not for individuals. I'd say research the mail regulations.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm
Looks like it's only legal to use the post office if you are not an FFL if the gun is being shipped within the same state