PDA

View Full Version : Quality castings with one, two, three, four slug molds?

DonMountain
04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
I have noticed with all of my molds, including one, two and four cavity molds, that I can always get better castings with the single cavity molds than I can with the multiple cavity molds. In fact, I can almost always produce more good boolets with the single cavity molds than I can with the two or more cavity molds due to faster cycling times and more complete fill of the cavity. The two cavity molds seem to produce one good boolet and one not so good boolet while it is warming up. And then thereafter I get a high percentage of one or the other hole has defects in it due to incorrect pouring lead or something else. Do others have these problems and find single cavity molds produce superior castings?

MBTcustom
04-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Using quality molds from NOE, MP, Accurate and others will make all the difference in the world, but you will still see variances due to temperature issues.
To correct this, see my thread on casting consistency.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?269912-Consistency-applied

MT Chambers
04-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Top notch cast bullet competitors use mostly the 1 cav. Eagan nose pour molds, or other top makes, bullets will be much more consistent if they all come from the same cavity. When using 2 cav. molds lots of folks mark the cavities which allows them to keep bullets separate if from dif. cavities.

wv109323
04-02-2015, 10:09 PM
A lot of it has to do with bullet size and the way the molten lead is introduced into the mold.
For 500 grain 45 or 50 caliber boolits I think a one cavity mold with a ladle pour will give you the best boolits. With the ladle you can get the hot lead ( in the amount needed to fill a large mold) into the mold quicker than a bottom pour pot and the weight of the excess lead will help fill the base completely out.
For 2,3,4,5,6 cavity molds of less than 250 grains I think you can get good results with a bottom pour pot. Keeping the mold up to temperature and lead introduction are still critical. I was using a Lee 6 cavity 125 RNFP and was not getting the bases to fill out completely. I was so disgusted that I quit casting that evening. The next time with that mold I opened up the spout of the pot and got the lead into the mold much more quickly. Much better results.
I don't think one size fits all.