PDA

View Full Version : New Cast shooter

Hunter711
04-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Been lurking around here for a few weeks, figured I might as well join. I don't post a lot on internet forums, but I like it here and may do more than I typically would.

I've been a rifle shooter practically all my life, buying or trading a handgun here and there and quickly losing interest. I like to consider myself a hunter more than a shooter, so that's been the driving force behind me focusing on rifles.

I've been loading for my hunting rifles for 15 years or so, and dabbled in a few handgun cartridges here and there. About 2 years ago my interest in handguns began to grow again, but this time hasn't let up.

I couldn't afford to shoot near as much as I'd like running factory ammo through my pistols, so I started to research and purchase some reloading things for a few of my revolvers. Found a local guy that casts some great boolits, and bought 1000 about a month ago. Got a good load for both my .44 Special and .44 mag with his Keith style boolits and my bucket is getting more and more empty. I honestly have enjoyed this more than I have anything in a long time, and the cost is a fraction of what I'm used to.

My next step is to get a good stash of loaded ammo ready to shoot for both my .44s, then dive into the .38/.357 world. Hopefully will eventually get to 9mm and .45 ACP, but it may be a while.

I've got a lot to learn and have already learned quite a bit by reading around this site. Having a lot of fun with this.

Sorry for the long post, just felt like I should give a little intro if I'm going to be posting here. Here's a quick pic of most of my handguns.
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr124/hooks7/PART_1427996029863_IMG_20150402_132113351.jpg

454PB
04-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Welcome to the madness!

Be forewarned that this is a very addictive hobby, bordering on obsession. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and many helpful members.

ejcrist
04-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Welcome aboard. Like you I used to be primarily a rifle hunter but started playing around with wheel guns, flintlocks, and casting a number of years ago and haven't done much with the modern rifles and ammo since. You're in for a lot of fun with cast boolits.

Jeff82
04-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

roverboy
04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Welcome. I noticed you like Rugers. I do too. I've got 2 Ruger handguns.

NC_JEFF
04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
38s, 44s and 45s.......three simple numbers but more loads to potentially try than you can imagine. I shoot nothing but cast in my handguns, so much cheaper than jackets or factory ammo. Welcome to the addiction.

Hunter711
04-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Thank you all for the welcomes.

Welcome. I noticed you like Rugers. I do too. I've got 2 Ruger handguns.
I do like and enjoy the Rugers I've had. That Flattop .44 Special is my favorite at the moment. The .357 BH was a gift from my Father in law, the other was a purchase from a dear old friend, those 2 will be with me till I pass em on to my son.

I am hoping to add a couple S&Ws in the next couple years. Hopefully a 4" M19 or perhaps a new 686. Would love to find a nice 4" 629 as well, I think that would be the perfect revolver for me.

Petrol & Powder
04-02-2015, 09:00 PM
Welcome Aboard !
I lack the casting experience of many on this forum but I've been reloading, shooting, repairing, collecting, etc. for many years. I found that casting opened up my world considerably and 454PB is right about the addictive nature of this hobby. (in my opinion it is a small price to pay)
There is a great deal of knowledge on this forum and I don't wish to be elitist but there is also a bit more maturity and responsibility as well.

flyingmonkey35
04-02-2015, 09:19 PM
I tend to re-load to give a excuse to cast.

Welcome aboard.

Tom W.
04-02-2015, 09:19 PM
You'll like it here. Just wait until you start casting your own.... Welcome to the dark side.....

contender1
04-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Welcome to a Forum of enablers!
:D :D
I'm a Ruger nut myself, and have a "few."
I see you are in SW Va. Not too far away,,, as I'm in WNC. Ifn' you get to wandering this direction, drop a line & we'll get together & discuss Rugers, casting & such!

pworley1
04-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Welcome! Once you cast you will never go back.

Low Budget Shooter
04-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Welcome!

rintinglen
04-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Ah yes--"I can shoot more with the money I'm saving."
Been reloading for 45 years or so, still waiting for the savings. At this point, with the money I've invested in molds alone, I ought to be getting paid now to shoot!

But seriously, especially with the odddball stuff, reloading saves you money, and lets you shoot even when you can't buy ammo.

My 327 binge recently is a case in point. It has been two years since I saw any 327 ammo for sale at my local gunshops. But not to worry. I managed to buy 300 pieces of brass from a fellow member, a 314-640 100 grain mold from MP, and voila--I have been shooting to the limit of the time available, if not to my heart's content. And at about 12 cents a round, It doesn't take long for the 19.00 dollars a box I'm saving to pay for my mold and the dies.

Other oddities I keep shooting Include 9mm Largo, 348 Winchester, 32-20 Winchester, 32 S&W, 250 Savage, and my current favorite rifle cartridge, the .303 Savage.

Silver Jack Hammer
04-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do, and I look forward to reading your posts on what you are doing and how it's working out for you. Reloading and cast is more than a means to shoot more or shoot for less cost, it's an experience that derives joy all on it's own.

Those Rugers are good looking guns.